U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 13,200 times
Default Moving to LA from England in March any advice?

Hi all,
I'm moving to LA (hopefully Santa Monica) from England in March and am looking for any advice?!
I'm looking to move into month to month accomodation at first, maybe:-

Any ideas on opening bank accounts, car insurance etc would be greatly appreciated!!!
Jay

Last edited by Waterlily; 02-27-2007 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: No ad links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,438 times
Hi! I wanna do the same thing but not til 2009 (cuz u cant drink til ur 21 over ther!)

What's the best area do u think?

Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM

233 posts, read 358,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Warren View Post
Hi all,
I'm moving to LA (hopefully Santa Monica) from England in March and am looking for any advice?!
I'm looking to move into month to month accomodation at first, maybe:-

Any ideas on opening bank accounts, car insurance etc would be greatly appreciated!!!
Jay
Bank accounts: You'll need at least 2 forms of ID, but probably more since you aren't a citizen. You could use your passport obviously, your new Cali license, and probably a credit card. I don't recommend Wachovia because they do very funky things about deposits and when you use your debit card, etc. Go for PNC or Sovereign. Smaller local type banks are also usually decent.

As to car insurance... $$$. Depends on your record, type of car, age, etc. I'd put aside a fair amount.

Where in England are you coming from? I was thinking about flying into London for my spring break and traveling around that area; perhaps Scotland as well. It's my understanding that there are direct trains from London to Scotland? Second hand knowledge so I don't know if that's true. Enjoy the US... though I can't see why you're leaving England!

Last edited by Waterlily; 02-27-2007 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: No ad links

Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM

186 posts, read 673,819 times
Jay.
You'll love it in LA. (I lived in the UK for 10 yrs so I know where you coming from). Avoid Bank of America - they charge you for everything, I'd recommend Washington Mutual, because of their good customer service and they have decent rates. No, I don't work for them. Wells Fargo is another OK bank with wider US presence. If you need to send money back and forth a lot between the US and UK in the future, Citibank is the only one present in both countries with current accounts. But my personal experience is that their is no incentive to having an account with them, as they don't make tranfers any easier.

Santa Monica is cool, but I prefer a bit more inland (Westwood, Century City etc)... with property prices similar to SE England you should be able to get hooked up with a nice crib there, and though LA traffic is murder (according to most americans) it should feel like a breeze after London, or some parts of the M6 or M1 by that matter. No roundabouts unfortunatelly, and Stop signs are a "bloody nuisance", no speed cameras but lot more coppers about than in the UK.

Kiru, just so you know in England the majority of the middle class are trying to flee... long story... but to answer your question, yes there is a direct train from London Euston station to both Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland (but its sometimes cheaper to fly than to train). Go there and visit it's beautiful! but to live there is a "completely different Kettle-of-fish".

Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 29,891 times
I am English in Manhattan.

You can go on line to a British Consulate in LA site and they will give you info plus direct to other info. you will need. Go on LA Craig's list and you can look at apartments in all areas of LA, photos and prices. You can look at jobs and most other things on the Craig list too.

Hope you do well, good luck!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 AM

7 posts, read 12,317 times
yes with virgin trains direct to scotland from euston london i drive trains for central trains ltd we only go to preston.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 AM

1,958 posts, read 3,404,904 times
Moving to LA from England in March any advice?

Learn Spanish

Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,209 times
Hi Im hoping to move to LA from england in 2011 for a few months just to see if i like it and for the experience. I have been before and absolutly loved it! What i need to know is what sort of visa i need to apply for if i want to work there for 3 months. What happens with renting a place if u havent got an american bank account? Thanks

Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM

238 posts, read 454,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post
Jay.
You'll love it in LA. (I lived in the UK for 10 yrs so I know where you coming from). Avoid Bank of America - they charge you for everything, I'd recommend Washington Mutual, because of their good customer service and they have decent rates. No, I don't work for them. Wells Fargo is another OK bank with wider US presence. If you need to send money back and forth a lot between the US and UK in the future, Citibank is the only one present in both countries with current accounts. But my personal experience is that their is no incentive to having an account with them, as they don't make tranfers any easier.

Santa Monica is cool, but I prefer a bit more inland (Westwood, Century City etc)... with property prices similar to SE England you should be able to get hooked up with a nice crib there, and though LA traffic is murder (according to most americans) it should feel like a breeze after London, or some parts of the M6 or M1 by that matter. No roundabouts unfortunatelly, and Stop signs are a "bloody nuisance", no speed cameras but lot more coppers about than in the UK.

Kiru, just so you know in England the majority of the middle class are trying to flee... long story... but to answer your question, yes there is a direct train from London Euston station to both Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland (but its sometimes cheaper to fly than to train). Go there and visit it's beautiful! but to live there is a "completely different Kettle-of-fish".
Just a note about Citibank. I have two accounts with them, one in the US and another one in a European Union country. Internet transfers are free of charge up to I believe 3,000 Euros per day. You might want to check if this applies to accounts in the UK, but it is likely depending on the type of account you have. If you have to/would like to keep some kind of bank account back in the UK this might be a good choice, although you might need to keep a minimum amount in the UK account to avoid charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California