Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 18,113 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered an agricultural job on a very innovative farm in Brentwood. We are thinking of moving from the Hudson Valley in NY. It is very difficult to assertain what type of area we are looking into. I would appreciate any help and guidance you may have.

We enjoy rural areas near a college town, so there is cultural diversity and opportunities, environmental awareness, and natural beauty. We have a 4 year old who has assisted me in leading nature hikes for moms and babes since he was 8 mos. old at local preserves. We don't do malls but try to support the local ecomomy and mom & pop businesses.

The salary my husband is offered is not impressive but the farm seems very progressive and owned by like-minded people. We would like a modest home - 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 baths on more than a 1/4 acre for around $200,000- $250,000.
Is this possible in this area? I am not married to Brentwood or owning right away, just want to get to know the area and which locations might match our needs.
Thank you!
The farmer's wife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
There have been lots of foreclosures in Brentwood (subject of a front page article recently in the San Francisco Chronicle. Go to San Francisco Bay Area — News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate and maybe you can find it). Lots of farmland was replaced with housing in the 90's so you shouldn't have much trouble getting a house at a good price. Quarter acre lots might be difficult to find. The tendency here is to put big houses on small lots.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:53 PM

25 posts, read 139,799 times
I live in Brentwood. Around here you don't need to be near a university to find cultural diversity and environmental awareness. We have plenty of both. Natural beauty... well, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Brentwood is near the delta so there are lots of recreational opportunities. The city of Brentwood is also very supportive of what's left of the ag community. They have designated what many would find fine house growing land as "agricultural core" area. I think it's zoned as 40 ac minimum parcel sizes.

As the other poster mentioned, big (really big--5000 sq ft) house on small lots is the norm here. You should easily be able to find a normal sized (2000 sq ft) house in town in your price range, but a large lot will set you back more. And yes, here in CA 1/4 ac is a large lot. Sad but true. Also, most of the construction in Brentwood is the cookie cutter variety of houses on a 5500 sq ft lot surrounded by a 6' privacy fence. That would include most of the foreclosures.

I wish you the best. If you have any questions, send me a DM and I'll do my best to help.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 PM

148 posts, read 471,469 times
Woah woah woah, Brentwood? We're obviously not talking about Brentwood in west Los Angeles county, right?

Because here in Brentwood, for 250K, you wouldn't be able to afford a 10' by 10' plot of land with a cardboard box on it.

Where is this other Brentwood?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:04 PM

25 posts, read 139,799 times
We are talking about the City of Brentwood. It's about 50 miles east of SF. Not the LA suburb made famous by an ex football player.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:28 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkyco View Post
Woah woah woah, Brentwood? We're obviously not talking about Brentwood in west Los Angeles county, right?

Because here in Brentwood, for 250K, you wouldn't be able to afford a 10' by 10' plot of land with a cardboard box on it.

Where is this other Brentwood?
There is another Brentwood in Northern California. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but as you might have gathered already, it is mostly surrounded by farmland. It is very different from the Brentwood area near Los Angeles that was well known for one of its famous residents, O.J. Simpson.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM

51 posts, read 283,810 times
I dont think there is any farms in Brentwood unless it is a private farm in one of the estates. Brentwood is also home to Governor Schwarzenegger. Its definitely not a farmer's town.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBoy85 View Post
I dont think there is any farms in Brentwood unless it is a private farm in one of the estates. Brentwood is also home to Governor Schwarzenegger. Its definitely not a farmer's town.
If you read the posts ahead of yours, you will find that this isn't true for the Brentwood that was being discussed. This is not about the Brentwood area of Los Angeles.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 18,113 times
Thank you for your tips. Please keep them coming. Yes, this is a different Brentwood, east of San Fransico.
I've always lived in the woods so it's hard for me to imagine less than 1/4 acre and seeing into my neighbors foreclosed home. I read the article about the real estate going bust, it sounds so dreary. How can the city continue or recover when they depended on over $40,000,000 from building permits and now only get $20,000,000. It would apear that the city's infrastucture would collapse.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,249 times
Default I live in Brentwood (East Bay)

I live in Brentwood, CA, the city, not OJ's niegborhood. I am originally from NYC, lived in North Jersey and then spent 10 years in the deep south before relocating to Nor Cal. Brentwood was a huge farming community that is still farming but has grown to be very residential with huge shopping centers on the North side of the city closest to Antioch. The farms are mostly south of the city and border the foothills of Mt Diablo and out easterly towards Discovery Bay, Vasco Rd and Marsh Creek.

The community is wonderful. Zoning is well thought out and compliments the cities layout. The city is very family oriented with a lot of things for the kids to do. There are A LOT of public parks and the schools are very modern and accomadating. There are bike lanes on almost every street and there are walking and bike paths connecting most niegborhoods and subdivisions throughout the city. The views of Mount Diablo and the foothills are wonderful. Right outside the city there are many cattle and horse ranches with stables to keep your hourse to take on many of the mountain trails in the protected open space.

I could go on but I will end this by saying that even though housing prices have dropped in Brentwood 40-50% you will have a hard time finding anything but an extremely small (1,200 sq. ft or so) fixer upper for $200,000 to $250,000. We just bought a house after renting for 3 years. I paid $417,000 for a 2,400 sq ft house that went for $715,000 new 2 years ago. I believe the median home price in Brentwood is still close to $500,000. A lot of McMansions in this city. In any case this link may help.

[URL="http://www.brentwoodchamber.com/"]Brentwood California Chamber of Commerce[/URL]

My final thought. I have been to 28 countries on 5 continents and have lived from the Northeast to the South to Nor Cal. Brentwood is definately the best place we have ever lived and has done wonders for the quality of our family life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California