Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 AM

9 posts, read 15,156 times

Advertisements

My only question is can we swap places???

It sounds perfect. Are there many jobs there? Particularly in accounting and finance? Having said that, I would do absolutely any job if it meant I could live somewhere that lovely! I am just feeling at a bit of a loss as to how to make it happen - it's almost impossible to get a visa without having employment and very few employers want the hassle of bringing in staff from overseas and it is absolutely right that jobs should go to local people first. Any suggestions? Do you know of any companies that are willing to recruit from the UK? I've looked on every website I can find but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,191,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyk View Post
I've never seen the tv show (the only tv I really watch is reaper) but the suburbs sound good. Is there anywhere in california you would recommend?
Trust me, many of us in the states have never seen the TV show either, but we're constantly accused of thinking that OC is "The OC" (like we're that stupid or ignorant to think that anyone puts the word "The" in front of a particular county in the U.S. - nevertheless, we're apparently all a bunch of country bumpkins who don't know the difference between our front and rear-ends), or that we think that a TV show exemplies the life of average every-day working Americans). I say if you want to come out to the U.S. and specifically, CA, go for it! You only live once. Wishing you the best!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,699,011 times
For me, swapping places is not an option. Too many obligations at home.

As far as employment, there are obviously more jobs available in the larger cities. It has always been my impression that there is a need for qualified accountants/bookeepers here. I believe finding a job in that area would not be a problem in most of California. Getting a visa? I have no idea. If you were a registered nurse, you could probably come here tomorrow. Is nursing school an option? That would be as near to a sure ticket here as I can think of. I know accountants are in demand. Depending on your qualifications, you might find an interested employer. I don't know. I'd keep looking.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 AM

182 posts, read 925,176 times
Quote:
My only question is can we swap places???

It sounds perfect. Are there many jobs there? Particularly in accounting and finance? Having said that, I would do absolutely any job if it meant I could live somewhere that lovely! I am just feeling at a bit of a loss as to how to make it happen - it's almost impossible to get a visa without having employment and very few employers want the hassle of bringing in staff from overseas and it is absolutely right that jobs should go to local people first. Any suggestions? Do you know of any companies that are willing to recruit from the UK? I've looked on every website I can find but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks
Accounting and finance...what a great field to be in! ALWAYS jobs available in that field, good times and bad! large cities and small.... Gov't and private industry... that is a bomb-proof skill to have. You should have no trouble finding work anywhere. Most cities and towns in this state have websites that tell you about the area...stats...pics....and job opportunities....and the same with local newspapers which ususally have links from the city websites... for example.... Welcome to the State of California (state of Ca website)... SLO.com (san luis Obsipo, ca website--one of many)... try googling the city you are interested in (Google) follow the links ....
As far as a trade of homes for a few months...try craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums Pick the city where you would like to live and post an ad to swap homes for a while. It is very popular these days.
oh and...coming from the UK you are definitely at an advantage financially right now (as I am sure you know) since our dollar has fallen to .50 cents in value in the exchange rate compared with EU you would surely command a tidy sum if you sold your assests there, then converted to US Dollars to buy a home here.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks so much for all the links! I feel really encouraged now by what you've said. Can you recommend any areas that would be safest and most suitable for children?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:23 PM

It's ok, I was kidding really about swapping places. Thanks for advising me - I really appreciate it and I'm pleased to hear that accountants are in demand - perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places up until now.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Thanks - I really appreciate it, it's been my ambition for such a long time! I'll just have to keep applying for jobs!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,699,011 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all the links! I feel really encouraged now by what you've said. Can you recommend any areas that would be safest and most suitable for children?
I'll always be partial to my home. San Luis Obispo County, safe, beautiful. perfect weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California