Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 03:42 PM

21,575 posts, read 16,079,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Well look at all the milk farms that used to be in Southern CA and are now gone and ... replaced by homes.

They made more money selling the land and moving to the central valley. Oops, farm land is being bought and turned into developments for more homes now in the valley. Maybe if enough homes were built where farmland used to be, the water use by farms would drop a LOT.
Seemingly maybe a considerable net savings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 03:48 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,746,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Seemingly maybe a considerable net savings
I think it would be better with more farms and fewer people.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
I think it would be better with more farms and fewer people.
How about no farms and fewer people? Win - win!

Old 07-10-2022, 10:05 AM

19,105 posts, read 16,484,098 times
Quote:
How about no farms and fewer people? Win - win!
I do hope you're joking about "no farms."

Old 07-10-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I do hope you're joking about "no farms."
I should have been more specific, you’re right … no huge corporate farms sucking up resources to send to luxury markets overseas. Better to have small, mom & pop niche veggie / fruit fields for local consumers.

.. and LOTS fewer people

Old 07-10-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I should have been more specific, you’re right … no huge corporate farms sucking up resources to send to luxury markets overseas. Better to have small, mom & pop niche veggie / fruit fields for local consumers.

.. and LOTS fewer people
I can go for less people but not farms. I guess some think the food they put on their table just magically appears in stores. Not to mention the idea that maybe, just maybe, the earth's temperature continues to rise because we're ripping out crops, trees & bare land and filling it in with concrete, asphalt and structures. smh

Old 07-10-2022, 11:17 AM

10,136 posts, read 6,568,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Almonds have always been my favorite nut. When we lived in California (Castro Valley) I planted an almond tree in our back yard, and we got more than enough every year from it. After the first couple of years I never watered it, but then we were not in the hot Central Valley.
Castro Valley means 1 thing...ARTICHOKES!

That valley has the perfect environment for artichokes. (Foggy/dewy/misty.)

As for almonds? They're ok. I prefer macadamias, dipped in white choc...

Old 07-10-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Castro Valley means 1 thing...ARTICHOKES!

That valley has the perfect environment for artichokes. (Foggy/dewy/misty.)

As for almonds? They're ok. I prefer macadamias, dipped in white choc...
lol I love those too! They're really inexpensive in Hawaii but not so much on the mainland. I also like artichokes! Leave those crops alone!

Old 07-10-2022, 12:12 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,386,491 times
Quote:
Yes, the thread was intended to ridicule the *poor almond farmer* who feels pinched by the shipping industry. For a guy who’s making bank, getting over as he is, to cry the blues had me near in stitches. Welcome to your turn in the barrel, pal.

Well, ok but that's precisely why I said it's weird and vindictive.

Your explanation is revealing though; "turn in the barrel". So you think that there's malice on the part of farming, and perhaps that these guys want to use as much water as possible to bring their crop to market? Because clearly if they could cut costs anywhere, particularly the cost of water, it would boost their profits --so we know that's total b.s. Their "turn in the barrel" indicates you feel they've harmed you/everyone else in some way... just by growing food. That's beyond weird but to each their own. And the only reason you have to justify that position is because you've bought into the false premise that almonds are some outlier in ag that "steals" the state's water supply, which isn't even true.

If there wasn't a global demand for almonds, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. But since there is, it's only natural those in the best position to fill that demand are going to step up and seize the opportunity.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Well, ok but that's precisely why I said it's weird and vindictive.

Your explanation is revealing though; "turn in the barrel". So you think that there's malice on the part of farming, and perhaps that these guys want to use as much water as possible to bring their crop to market? Because clearly if they could cut costs anywhere, particularly the cost of water, it would boost their profits --so we know that's total b.s. Their "turn in the barrel" indicates you feel they've harmed you/everyone else in some way... just by growing food. That's beyond weird but to each their own. And the only reason you have to justify that position is because you've bought into the false premise that almonds are some outlier in ag that "steals" the state's water supply, which isn't even true.

If there wasn't a global demand for almonds, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. But since there is, it's only natural those in the best position to fill that demand are going to step up and seize the opportunity.
Cheese whiz Joosoon. You have no humor apparently. But you do have a great imagination!

No, I never suggested there’s *malice* on the part of the farmers.

Yes, I think it’s kinda really really funny that the farmers - as I said - making gobs of money leveraging a public resource opportunistically (lucky them that our *system* allows and even fosters this kind of leveraging) by growing a luxury product craved worldwide, are kvetching about the shipping companies leveraging their own position to make greater profits, which takes a bite out of the farmers’ pockets.

If you don’t enjoy the irony, I’m sorry and recommend Xanax to help you through your dark days

Lighten up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California