Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 07:34 PM

25 posts, read 15,052 times

Advertisements

Hey California,

Curious if there is a general consensus, or opinion on where in California people enjoy the highest quality of living for the price? When you consider access to quality schools, healthy food, good restaurants, town amenities - health clubs, public pool and rec facilities, parks, hiking, access to arts and culture, clubs and town events.

Where are the towns where young educated 30 something professionals with future plans for kids moving? What are the best upper middle class zip code in California when you consider cost? In Northern California, obviously you have places like Mill Valley, Lafayette, Palo Alto, etc - but when you adjust for COL, they suddenly become impossible or completely absurd to live there, even when making pretty significant dual income (>$250-350k per year annually?)

My gut tells me places like San Rafael or maybe Walnut Creek take the prize in NorCal - but even these zip codes have extremely high real estate entry prices.

Any other ideas or perspectives on this? I guess another way to phrase the question - what zip code gives you the most for $1M?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 07:44 PM

426 posts, read 352,893 times
Orange County. Or if you're in biotech, San Diego.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Orange County. Or if you're in biotech, San Diego.
Thanks, Amokk. What towns in Orange County offer the highest quality of life? On a more granular level - are any of these towns somewhat left leaning and progressive? I do enjoy NorCal and Marin culture (lack of diversity in Marin aside), so I would be interested to find a town that has somewhat similar subcultures - appreciation of outdoors, the environment, science, etc.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:29 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
ixnay on Orange County if you want 'left leaning and progressive'. of the six congressional reps in OC, I count 5 Rs and 1 D:
US Congressional Representatives for Orange County
Irvine is little more blue than the red ocean around it... that's where we send our Yuppies. (I use their excellent bike paths).

Other posters are free to disagree or offer their experience and perceptions.

In my opinion, Most of Southern California (minus the denser urban parts of Los Angeles County) offers the best quality of life and outdoor experience in the Nation. I'm not sure how one experiences 'science' outside of your explicit career field. For Arts and Culture, Clubs and Events, you will travel to the core of LA, even if you try to live just outside of it.

If 'left leaning and progressive' is your #1, you're living in the biggest, dirty-est, dense-est Blue urban core you can afford... when you lookup the public schools you'll fork over $20k/yr for private school for your future kids.

you sound like you know NorCal better than me and if you have $1M to spend you wont get much sympathy for your plight. Its on you to figure it out.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
quality schools, healthy food, good restaurants, town amenities - health clubs, public pool and rec facilities, parks, hiking, access to arts and culture, clubs and town events.
I notice you didn't mention weather. So, considering how unaffordable all the good places have become, I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb, and suggest, maybe places like Davis. It has everything on the list. It's not known for being upper-middle class, but maybe with the presence of the university, all those faculty members bring the profile up a bit.

There's always Monterey, but it's expensive to buy into, like the other places you mentioned.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:43 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
if you have $1M to spend you wont get much sympathy for your plight. Its on you to figure it out.
I don't think they're lookin for "sympathy" or saying it's a "plight"- also doubting they've got $1M cash to blow. Sounds like that would be their home budget (which isn't crazy by CA standards at ALL), and they just want input on where to get the most bang for their bucks. No need to get all snarky!

Now to answer OP: I think we'd need a little more to go on, as far as what you want in a town/region. Like what do you prefer in terms of weather, culture, scenery, city vs suburbs vs rural, etc; and will jobs and/or schools be a factor? Or is this simply a hypothetical, based on COL alone? I love where I live right now, in the Santa Cruz Mountains between Santa Cruz and San Jose. Just bought a lovely little house there for $640K, weather is nearly perfect, and I'm almost equidistant from the ocean and the city (SJ). Also have very low crime, and the people in my town are mostly great. So I'd say the "standard of living" is pretty high here, but it's certainly not the right fit for everyone.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I notice you didn't mention weather. So, considering how unaffordable all the good places have become, I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb, and suggest, maybe places like Davis. It has everything on the list. It's not known for being upper-middle class, but maybe with the presence of the university, all those faculty members bring the profile up a bit.

There's always Monterey, but it's expensive to buy into, like the other places you mentioned.
I love Davis. Summer weather a bit of a bummer, and access to hiking and such is not super amazing. I agree that for NorCal towns it's up there for sure. Part of my post is for general interest outside of my NorCal bubble - I am very familiar with generally all nice towns in NorCal, but my knowledge basically ends south of south of Santa Cruz - though I have visited SLO many times.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think they're lookin for "sympathy" or saying it's a "plight"- also doubting they've got $1M cash to blow. Sounds like that would be their home budget (which isn't crazy by CA standards at ALL), and they just want input on where to get the most bang for their bucks. No need to get all snarky!

Now to answer OP: I think we'd need a little more to go on, as far as what you want in a town/region. Like what do you prefer in terms of weather, culture, scenery, city vs suburbs vs rural, etc; and will jobs and/or schools be a factor? Or is this simply a hypothetical, based on COL alone? I love where I live right now, in the Santa Cruz Mountains between Santa Cruz and San Jose. Just bought a lovely little house there for $640K, weather is nearly perfect, and I'm almost equidistant from the ocean and the city (SJ). Also have very low crime, and the people in my town are mostly great. So I'd say the "standard of living" is pretty high here, but it's certainly not the right fit for everyone.
Gizmo,

Part of the goal with my post was to step outside of my NorCal centered perspective. I am so deeply entrenched with evaluating towns North of Santa Cruz, that it is hard for me to broaden my perspective.

If I am being honest - Marin honestly would be pretty sweet for me - but it's so expensive that it is borderline off-putting. But culturally it feels pretty dead-on, especially with all the access to hiking, trails, people that like nature health stuff. Same with Oakland/Montclair/Kensington - it's simply the COL that is absolutely outrageous and I dream of finding something more reasonable elsewhere.

Living in the Bay Area for 30+ years I prefer the weather here - I'd say Oakland/Berkeley/Peninsula has the ideal weather. Extreme summer heat without substantial tree cover would be tough. I like Davis and parts of Sacramento, but man it is hot anywhere north of Fairfield in the Summer.

In terms of culture - access to good small cafe style music (no need for huge concerts), a good healthy eating scene with farmers markets, CSAs, ideally a town that celebrates the arts with theatre, art galleries, etc.

In a perfect world there would be plenty of folks in their mid-30s that would prefer to have backyard dinners and play music or have a book club rather than go to bars or an night on the town. Decent enough restaurants - prefer no chain spots and a cute downtown with a good small town all American feeling. I prefer Suburban rural style homes (decently sized lots, well tree'd, etc - think Walnut Creek, Lafayette, or Terra Linda San Rafael), but an ideal world still be able to walk to a coffee shop.

I like to cycle, rock climb - but could see myself getting into ocean sports pretty easily. Love to spend time in the mountains growing up in the Bay. With that in mind, access to good hiking or at least some type of health minded community is super important to me.

Jobs - hybrid remote. Ideally could go into the office 2x per week minimum, but not a total deal breaker. Elementary schools are important to me, but it's maybe 7 years out. Places like Benicia, Petaluma, Davis, Pleasant Hill, Martinez intrigue me - but want to step outside of what I know.

The reason I say "upper" middle class is because I feel like the Bay Area messes with ROI a bit. As someone that makes fairly substantial income, we are quickly almost put into a solidly middle class town super easily. Just trying to see what quality is possible for the money.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:58 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolf6450 View Post
Thanks, Amokk. What towns in Orange County offer the highest quality of life? On a more granular level - are any of these towns somewhat left leaning and progressive? I do enjoy NorCal and Marin culture (lack of diversity in Marin aside), so I would be interested to find a town that has somewhat similar subcultures - appreciation of outdoors, the environment, science, etc.

San Diego has a lot of lifted truck types, military town. Nowhere near the coast is gonna be one million unless you want a cramped condo. Our public schools aren't rated very well as we have busing across the city. Read your kids will be in school with a bunch of ESL students.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:02 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolf6450 View Post
Gizmo,

Part of the goal with my post was to step outside of my NorCal centered perspective. I am so deeply entrenched with evaluating towns North of Santa Cruz, that it is hard for me to broaden my perspective.

If I am being honest - Marin honestly would be pretty sweet for me - but it's so expensive that it is borderline off-putting. But culturally it feels pretty dead-on, especially with all the access to hiking, trails, people that like nature health stuff. Same with Oakland/Montclair/Kensington - it's simply the COL that is absolutely outrageous and I dream of finding something more reasonable elsewhere.

Living in the Bay Area for 30+ years I prefer the weather here - I'd say Oakland/Berkeley/Peninsula has the ideal weather. Extreme summer heat without substantial tree cover would be tough. I like Davis and parts of Sacramento, but man it is hot anywhere north of Fairfield in the Summer.

In terms of culture - access to good small cafe style music (no need for huge concerts), a good healthy eating scene with farmers markets, CSAs, ideally a town that celebrates the arts with theatre, art galleries, etc.

In a perfect world there would be plenty of folks in their mid-30s that would prefer to have backyard dinners and play music or have a book club rather than go to bars or an night on the town. Decent enough restaurants - prefer no chain spots and a cute downtown with a good small town all American feeling. I prefer Suburban rural style homes (decently sized lots, well tree'd, etc - think Walnut Creek, Lafayette, or Terra Linda San Rafael), but an ideal world still be able to walk to a coffee shop.

I like to cycle, rock climb - but could see myself getting into ocean sports pretty easily. Love to spend time in the mountains growing up in the Bay. With that in mind, access to good hiking or at least some type of health minded community is super important to me.

Jobs - hybrid remote. Ideally could go into the office 2x per week minimum, but not a total deal breaker. Elementary schools are important to me, but it's maybe 7 years out. Places like Benicia, Petaluma, Davis, Pleasant Hill, Martinez intrigue me - but want to step outside of what I know.

The reason I say "upper" middle class is because I feel like the Bay Area messes with ROI a bit. As someone that makes fairly substantial income, we are quickly almost put into a solidly middle class town super easily. Just trying to see what quality is possible for the money.
Perhaps……..Rocklin.

Or Roseville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California