Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 09:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,625,900 times

Advertisements

I was going to suggest Alturas in Modoc County (NE corner of California), but the winter months can get pretty cold. The same with Yreka in Siskiyou County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 11:52 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,381,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerJ1 View Post
Great question, the more ‘green’ the better. However if you’ve seen Fallbrook I’m counting that area which is a mix of desert vegetation plus multiple patches of more dense trees, grass, and plants next to streams and other sources of water. This more ‘dense’ water+vegetation is more of what people typically think of when they think of a forest. Hopefully this helps!!

So then why not include literally anything in north SD county, maybe just all of SD county within 30 miles of the coast. Vista, Escondido, Valley Center, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, etc. all look exactly like that. As for "forest", the green you're seeing is fairly fleeting. All that chaparral is brownish most of the year. Forests have trees. Stuff like that only really exists at altitude in SD county. And deserts are by definition going to have wild fluctuations in day/night temperatures. In all my years here, I've never heard anyone ever refer to any of those places as forest-y. Truth is, we live in an irrigated desert climate with a lot of non-native species trees.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:57 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,381,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Panama

Right. For consistent temperatures, I was thinking Guam since it's sorta the U.S. still.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:31 AM

26 posts, read 30,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I'm wondering where exactly in California would be warm enough for you. Are you talking about the daily mean temperature or the average high temperature?

The average temperature (daily mean) in Palm Springs is below 65 for 3 months of the year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Springs,_California
The simplest way to get temperatures is by simply looking at them in google (ie- ‘Palm Springs average yearly temperatures’). If this is how we measure Palm Springs lowest average temperatures is 70 degrees which WOULD qualify above 65, however because there is no green/forest then it does no qualify..

I appreciate it

Old 08-18-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Lassen area?
Thank for your response. In the winter time I believe the area dips below 65 degrees according to google. So I would have to disqualify it as my definition of warm is above 65 degrees

Old 08-18-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG2020 View Post
Buddy... you really need to get your priorities sorted out and do some more research. If 65 degree average temps through the winter are a high priority, you have ruled out the entirety of California and are basically limited to the Rio Grande Valley border area of Texas and South Florida. Even Death Valley and Phoenix are significantly colder than that in the winter. Topanga Canyon, Ojai, and every town you list is not that warm in winter. You are looking for a subtropical climate, which does not exist in California, and barely exists anywhere in the US outside of Hawaii. Move to Miami and never be cold again if that is what you want.

Freezing in winter.

Also freezing in winter.

Trying to make it as simple as possible so if you type in town + yearly average temperature anywhere it gives you all months average temperatures. Topanga Caynon, Ojai and all the other places I mentioned only go as low as 65 in the winter months and are a Dry climate..
Thank you for your response. Texas, south Florida, and Hawaii all fit the above 65 degree temperature requirement, however they are humid environments so that does not count.

It maybe that the places I looked up are the only ones that exist above 65 and dry year round

Old 08-18-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I know much of Norcal is very cold in the winter, but the Op did seem to be more interested in forests than heat year round. I agree he maybe needs to look in Florida. He has since updated his requests to include year round heat.
It’s important to define all variables precisely. It seems like I may get burned if I don’t..
I appreciate your response, I would say Florida is Humid so although it fits the above 65 year round and forest stipulation it is not dry..

Old 08-18-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Panama
Thank you for your response, Panama is humid not dry so unfortunately it does not fit the stipulation

Old 08-18-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Tehachapi, Bodfish, Lone Pine and Independence
Thank you for your response

Old 08-18-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Don’t all deserts get cold at night?
Toss in a forest to your hot area desert request and you have quite a quest.
Agreed! I’m starting to think my list are the only places that exist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California