Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 11:00 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times

Advertisements

So, I just moved to the Bay Area a month ago, job at a large tech company, and life's been pretty hectic so far. I'd really like to get some swimming in this summer, but it seems like the ocean (at least in Santa Cruz) is too cold for my comfort.

Are there any warmer places in the state to swim? I'm fine going relatively remote, like somewhere in Tuolumne County or Inyo County. It'd be really cool if there's an actual town centered around a body of water with restaurants and stuff, like Coeur d'Alene, ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 11:05 AM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
The easiest way to deal with this is to buy a wetsuit. I used to have one, and was comfortable swimming in the ocean all year round. There were usually a couple of months in the summer when it wasn't needed, but I'm in SoCal.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:13 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Santa Cruz's main beach is actually the warmest ocean water you'll find north of SoCal. Otherwise, try Lake Berryessa over in Napa, or the lake in Tilden Park, Berkeley, or Lake Temescal in the Oakland hills. Those park lakes are small, but swimable.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:20 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
You need to live in San Diego (Orange County to a lesser extent) if you want to swim in the ocean without a wetsuit a decent portion of the year. Even then it can be hit or miss. Some years i trunk it surfing a lot May to October, and some years it seems like only July/August.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:55 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,740,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The easiest way to deal with this is to buy a wetsuit. I used to have one, and was comfortable swimming in the ocean all year round. There were usually a couple of months in the summer when it wasn't needed, but I'm in SoCal.
Pretty much this. I live in San Diego, almost as far south as you can go, and still need a wetsuit most months. I guess it depends on your tolerance. If you're up north, you'll definitely need one.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
We used to swim at Lake Berryessa, near Napa, as teens, and in summer the water even back then was probably about 70F.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
So, I just moved to the Bay Area a month ago, job at a large tech company, and life's been pretty hectic so far. I'd really like to get some swimming in this summer, but it seems like the ocean (at least in Santa Cruz) is too cold for my comfort.

Are there any warmer places in the state to swim? I'm fine going relatively remote, like somewhere in Tuolumne County or Inyo County. It'd be really cool if there's an actual town centered around a body of water with restaurants and stuff, like Coeur d'Alene, ID.
LA down San Diego has the only swimmable water without a wetsuit from summer through early/mid fall. Water temps in OC and SD are in the low/mid 70's right now.

The ocean is largely useless when it comes to swimming up here. Some beaches along San Francisco Bay have swimmable water temps (70ish) like Crown Beach in Alameda. Obviously not the same as the ocean. The beaches are sandy but the bay floor is kind of muddy versus sandy and no waves.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:05 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Warm places to swim anywhere in CA?.
You should have moved to southern California for that. Northern CA is COLD. Get yourself a good quality wetsuit and you should be okay though.

If you wanted warm why did you move to northern CA?

Old 08-17-2022, 02:09 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You should have moved to southern California for that. Northern CA is COLD. Get yourself a good quality wetsuit and you should be okay though.

If you wanted warm why did you move to northern CA?

I will also add that a number of those Northern CA beaches can be rather dangerous to swim in......

Old 08-17-2022, 02:16 PM

130,122 posts, read 12,082,762 times
North Forebay in Oroville. Or Lake Oroville. Forebay is fun you can also rent out kayaks or aquatic bikes. The lake is very flat & not really any currents liek the Ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California