Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 15,848 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering where some of the best Farmers Markets and Flea markets are held in California. Are they a pretty well attended thing out there?

What about artist events?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 07:09 PM

36 posts, read 208,373 times
Well I cannot say what is the "best" as I only know my local area but Santa Barbara has farmers markets several times at diferent locations during the week, they usually are only open for a few hours and are heavily attended.
The sunday artshow at the beach is pretty good and there are other shows throughout the year in other venues.
The swapmeet was a great fleamarket back years ago but it is mostly taken over by dealers selling low end new junk instead of the antique junk that I used to see.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
There is a nice one north of Pismo off the 101 that is nice.

Cypress college on Valley View south of the 91 is a good old fashioned with a small mix of new, free.
Orange County Market place, all new products but very large. Live music, fresh produce, new clothing, pet supplies and more. I think there is a $2 entrance fee now.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:54 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
The auction in Roseville used to be great. I loved going there as a kid. I haven't been there in about 5 years, so I am not sure how it is.

Chico has a great farmers market. I think its on Thrusday nights. Lots of vendors, lots of variety.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 15,848 times
Thanks for the replies. We will be taking a trip to california soon and wanted to check out some of the markets there and see how they compare to ones back east.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
A lot of farmers markets are on weekdays, most cities have them. Here in Bellflower it is on Tuesday. Signal Hill has a very nice one that I want to return to.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:12 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
There is a large flea market in San Jose on Berryessa Rd. Check out www.sjfm.com for details. Also if you're ever in Arizona, visit Quartzsite on I-10, halfway between LA and Pheonix during Jan and Feb. That flea market takes a couple of days to walk through. Go to www.quartzsitervshow.com.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,699 times
Santa Monica Farmers Market....and up in north California....the Monterey farmers market is great.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Definitely try out San Luis Obispo's Farmers Market on Thursday nights. A large part of downtown is completely shut down to vehicles and You can find some pretty amazing bbq and local produce. There are always bands playing, belly dancers/gymnastics etc performing and most of the shops stay open. It's basically a gathering place for people all over the county.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
"Heart of The City" Farmers Market at SF Civic Center is awesome. I love the urban environment and the crowds of people there. The produce is excellent(very hard to find stuff too) and its not pretentious at all.

If you want Pretense(but the quality is world class), then I suggest the Ferry Building in SF. That Farmer's Market is kinda fancy. Right on the waterfront. I really like the locally cured meats and local cheeses and what not.

Also, in Oakland there is a farmer's market held in Old Oakland(A historic Disrict) on Fridays. Its cool because directly next to the Farmer's Market is Oakland's Chinatown, which is a great place to explore after you visit the market.

On Saturdays, there is another really cool Farmer's Market across from the Grand Lake Theater. I love the produce there as well as the ambience of the surrounding neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California