U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 45,405 times

Advertisements

We are considering retiring to Palm Springs. We have spent much time in the area, and are somewhat familiar with the neighborhoods (Vista Las Palmas, Little Tuscany, Movie Colony, Deepwelland the Mesa), any input to these areas would be appreciated. We are most familiar with single family dwellings, but would consider any detached condo/townhouse communities or neighbohoods not mentioned.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 PM

331 posts, read 1,374,810 times
are you set on PS or are you looking all over the valley?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 AM

228 posts, read 780,408 times
Scooter:

Your list is pretty much made up of the most expensive neighborhoods in Palm Springs. Single family houses in any of those areas will start at close to $500,000 and go up from there. You might find condos for less but they will be quite small, usually under 1,000 sq. feet. If you're looking for cheaper properties, you can still find a few in the north end of Palm Springs, but they are some of the least desirable neighborhoods in town.

The other thing that you need to keep in mind is that large areas of Palm Springs are on Indian tribal land. You will be paying a lease to them on a monthly basis in addition to any mortgage you might have to pay. Many condo communities have been going through renegotiations of these leases which has resulted in sharp increases in their monthly lease payments. The Indians have also been asking for additions to people's leases such as the homeowner having to pay a fee if you refinance, and also having to pay the tribe a percentage of your profit from the sale of your home on "their" land.

Many unsuspecting buyers have been suckered into purchasing properties on lease land because they tend to sell for less than those on non-Tribal land, or fee land. And believe me, there are more than a few real estate agents in Palm Springs that will gloss over the whole land lease mess just to get a sale and their commission.

I lived in Palm Springs for 8 years before finally moving away. I remember very well what property went for when I moved there and how fast it went up from there. To some from other areas the home prices there may still seem like bargains. But the truth is that the majority of real estate in the whole Coachella Valley, not just Palm Springs are terribly overinflated.

Now maybe if you have money, it won't matter at all. But if you're not independently wealthy, you might find that Palm Springs real estate is out of your league.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:41 PM

149 posts, read 729,241 times
Personally, I wouldn't buy yet in PS, the prices are going down, and I think they will continue for at least a year or two.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:17 PM

1,700 posts, read 4,429,091 times
I agree with DesertD, the house prices are probably going to keep coming down for the next 2 to 3 years. Wait to buy, Rent.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,934 times
Default I can help you look for homes in the Palm Springs area

I disagree that Palm Springs is over priced. There are some terrific bargains out there. I'm a licensed real estate agent working for Prudential California Realty in Palm Springs and I represent mostly buyers, so I know what's out there and what's overpriced and what isn't.

Give me a call anytime. My cell phone is 760-413-7716. My website is: Dave Stukas: The Source for Midcentury and Modern Desert Homes and is about 80 percent complete after launching last week. On it, you can surf the Desert Area Multiple Listing Service to view homes of all architectural styles, or click on my find Modern Homes button to see all modern and midcentury listings by neighborhood.

My email: dave@davestukas.com

I'm here to help.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:21 PM

474 posts, read 1,198,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stukas View Post
I disagree that Palm Springs is over priced. There are some terrific bargains out there. I'm a licensed real estate agent working for Prudential California Realty in Palm Springs and I represent mostly buyers, so I know what's out there and what's overpriced and what isn't.

Give me a call anytime. My cell phone is 760-413-7716. My website is: Dave Stukas: The Source for Midcentury and Modern Desert Homes and is about 80 percent complete after launching last week. On it, you can surf the Desert Area Multiple Listing Service to view homes of all architectural styles, or click on my find Modern Homes button to see all modern and midcentury listings by neighborhood.

My email: dave@davestukas.com

I'm here to help.
Your post is 2 years AFTER the last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California