U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,529,171 times

Advertisements

I don't know if they would want to pay the airfare to fly to Mexico. They have free airline tickets with Southwest, and SWA doesn't fly to Mexico, so I don't know if that is an option for them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 AM

788 posts, read 3,033,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
dont you need a passport to crossover now? or did they suspend that rule
That's a good question...to walk over you used just need a driver's license/i.d. I don't know what the sitaution is now. I am sure you can google that, or go to the San Diego boards and ask the residents.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 PM

10,331 posts, read 13,727,480 times
You can cross the border with a drivers license/ID and a birth certificate or some other document that proves your a citizen such as a certificate of naturalization/citizenship, etc....

Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,239 times
San Diego is great!!! I've lived here for 21 years, raised my kids here and I think you'd love it.
Do not go to Mexico at this time, however. Things are very unstable and you would be a target for sure.
But you can have great fun in San Diego without needing to go to Mexico!
If you parents help you rent a vacation condo or something, you might get away cheaper than a hotel, and you'd be more comfortable.
If you work through a travel agent, you might run into less hassles.
Extended stay hotels can be nice. Just check maps and make sure you're beachside!
Also, I recommend the Insight Guides to just about any major city.
You'll get a good lead on things to see and do.

If you MUST go all-out for adventure, then see if you can get cheap tickets to Australia. The drinking age is 18, and the people are wonderful. Beaches are plentiful and great activities abound. I took my two daughters with their best girlfriends (they were all 18) and they had a blast. We rented an apartment in Cains on the beach for about 2 weeks.

Good luck and have a great time. Be safe, and stay together!!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 PM

159 posts, read 420,690 times
Oobrittyanoo, dear, I'm amazed anyone would tell you to venture into Mexico just to drink! Forget Mexico and drinking. Including Rosarita. I personally was drugged...along with my armed, well-built male companion...in a nice, quaint little bar in Rosarita where we finished less than half a drink before being followed everywhere by two guys until we found our vehicle and left. We could barely see or walk, and were lucky to have noticed the drug before finishing our drinks. As far as I know, Mexico is still the kidnap capital.

Regarding your hotel problem, you can often rent a very nice condo complete with furnishings in beach towns, especially in FL. Since condos are privately owned, there's more flexibility in renting. Just do a search on condo rentals.

Florida would no doubt be cheaper than CA. To give you an idea, we rented a very nice 2 bdrm/2bath condo at the Moonspinner in PCB for ~$100/night last summer. It was in a nice quiet spot - not what you're looking for - but you can probably easily find a condo rental vs hotel. Especially in FL, there were so many new units sitting unsold there is probably nothing else to do but rent them out. They are as good as a hotel, with washer and dryer, cable tv, etc.

Florida has way better beaches than CA, but CA will have more "other" stuff in case you don't plan to be in the water all the time. CA will be more expensive. And your rooms may be smaller. But the weather will be nicer. And you might appreciate the beautiful San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park for a day.

Another option to consider is college dorms that are sometimes rented out during summer, if you can find one at a college on/near a beach near an airport. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:51 PM

19 posts, read 173,843 times
wow thank you all so much for the advise!
and as awesome as going over to mexico sounds i dooont think my parents would be so okey with that especially not without themm

but okey so it's looking like it's down to looking for condos in san diego oor somewhere in florida

in all honesty...which place would be more ideal for teenagers wanting to have fun at night??

Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 914 times
you can not check ino a hotel but you can rent a car but it'll be almost double for ppls under 25 years old.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,798,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmaes View Post
you can not check ino a hotel but you can rent a car but it'll be almost double for ppls under 25 years old.
The good news is that the OP is already 21 by now!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 297 times
My son graduates this year and want to take him somewhere fun.....he has a sister that is 22 and loves to have fun too....where should we go that wont cost us an arm or leg? We was looking at Cancun

Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 AM

7,250 posts, read 2,993,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobrittyannoo View Post
okey so me and my best friend [we're both 18] are taking our two guys[who are 19 and 20] on a trip this summer because for graduation my dad [who is a pilot for southwest] gave me four passes [basically tickets] to fly anywhere that southwest flies

we were planning on going to florida but we found it impossible to find a hotel that will let kids under 21 check into a hotel
plus that all just kind of fell through...

soo now we are wanting to go to california! but we have no clue what area would be the best for our age group?
we would love to stay in a city on the coast so we can experience the beach
if anyone has any suggestions i would greeatly appreciate the advice thanks so much!
Don't stay at a hotel and instead stay in a youth hostel. They're cheaper and don't care if you're under 21. As for destinations it will depend upon your interests but I would fly to SFO, do the tourist thing in the bay area, rent a car and then drive down US Highway 1 (the coast highway) stopping in on all the tourist attractions along the way. When you get down to San Diego fly back home but be sure to check out all the tourist stuff there and maybe even take a day trip across the border to TJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California