U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 60,021 times
Default Merced, CA

Hi,

We are considering a move to Merced, CA and would like some opinions on the area.

A bit of background...... My disabled brother and myself (also somewhat disabled) have been living with and caring for our elderly mother who died at the end of August and we now are forced to sell the house and move. We currently live in San Jose and would like to relocate not too far away. Neither of us will be working and we have pretty simple needs in terms of "recreational activities." We're politically liberal (don't quite know if we have "san francisco values or not - but close <g>) and appreciate "multi-culturalism." Cooking's also a hobby and we appreciate a good selection of "ethnic foods." Due to our disabilities, we can't be in a snow area, and due to my phobias about global warming in years in come, I don't care to relocate to the Sacramento/Delta area. We have 3 large dogs and I have an interest in gardening so a condo or apartment is not an option.

And - we also won't have a great deal of $$ to invest in a new home.

From afar, Merced seems appealing because it's not too far from the bay area, Sacramento, Yosemite, etc., it seems to be very affordable by CA standards, and it's a college/university town (although that's maybe a bit of a stretch at this point <g>). It also has some recreational opportunities that are appealing (lake yosemite for fishing and boating and an "RC park" for radio controlled planes, etc. which are an interest of my brother's). It seems that it has all of the major stores and is pretty "self-sufficient."

I know it gets really hot in the summer and that there's tule fog in the winter, but I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on other drawbacks and things I should look out for. Also which are the best neighborhoods, etc.
(I'm currently looking at the neighborhoods in the area a bit east of Olive and G street). I'd like to see some responses on the forum to maybe generate more responses from others but I also welcome private e-mails from anyone with more detailed insight into the city (I can be e-mailed at curi805@aol.com).

Thanks!
AW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 34,492 times
Default regarding merced

i dont knowif you have visited merced. it is a pretty quiet place to live. there is quite a mix of conservative to liberal minds here. there are many homes for sale right now(i think it is expensive, but if you own a home already, it is not too bad). there are alot of activities to do and you are looking in the right direction as far as where to live. i have been here all my life and feel pretty comfortable here. there may be a lot of changes about to happen as the university grows, but for now it is a slow change. check out www.mymerced.com for events and things to do. it is a good site. hope this helped

Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the information. That does help! Are there any particular parts of the city to avoid moving to (high crime, too much traffic, far from conveniences, possibly prone to flooding, etc.)? Thanks, AW

Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 34,492 times
i think east of g street and north of olive ave is overall a good area. clean, little crime, cloase to good shopping, etc.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 35,524 times
Default Relocating to Merced

awin1,

My family of 2 young kids have lived in Merced for the past 3 years. We like the small town feel of Merced with all the conveniences of a big city like Modesto. We're close to Fresno & Modesto that have many activities, events & attractions.

Crime wise, I've heard and read that Merced has quite a few gangs, but that's the same through-out the Central Valley. The areas to avoid are anything west of Highway 99 and a small area fromTarget to Walmart.

Due to job relocation we are currently selling our house in an older neighborhood 2 blocks south of popular Bear Creek. If interested please email me at arolfs@sbcglobal.net for details. It's a 3bed/2bath on a 1/4 acre lot perfect for your dogs. Built in 1955, we bought it from a retired couple that had lived there 47 years. We've spent 2 years remodeling/updating the inside and hate to have to sell.

Good luck

Old 03-22-2007, 11:12 AM

2,813 posts, read 8,991,580 times
I grew up in Merced and was born there, went in and out of grade school there and finally graduated from Merced High School in 1981. I still have relatives there, aunts, uncles, some cousins and Kathleen Crookham, District 2 Supervisor of Merced County is my cousin.
It has a 'cute' downtown, but they tried to make it pedestrian in the 1980's and it seems to me that it kind of killed the downtown. The courthouse is original and the most beautiful courthouse in the United States in my opinion.
Parts of Merced are quite nice, but it's changed eons since I lived there and now has far more crime, a very large illegal population, Hmong gangs...things that didn't exist in my life there up to 1981.
I don't feel at home when I drive through on 99 anymore and it's become foreign to me with some familiar sights remaining. I remember as a kid going to the Merced Theater with it's cutout villages on the opposing walls and it seemed so grand.
Merced also is considered one of the top 3 most overvalued real estate markets in the United States, sometimes on some lists placing #2. This means that housing is vastly overvalued and with the downturn gaining speed, buying there might not be a great idea at this particular time.
Summer is hot, but absolutely wonderful. It's dry, hot, and perfect for summer activities.
Winter is cold, rainy, and the Tule fog isn't just fog, it's all-encompassing and can hold to the ground for weeks at a time. It isn't just chilly, it's icy. Merced does not have warm winters and even now living in Missouri where winters can be severe, I can tell you that you'll be freezing your nads off at times in Merced in the winter. But...no snow.
I actually prefer Modesto myself, or, even better, where my parents live northeast of Modesto about 18 miles in Oakdale, California.
Wherever you go, good luck to you!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 AM

Hi,

Haven't checked the forum for a while. Thanks for the recent posts! Very helpful!

Anne

Old 03-26-2007, 07:17 PM

840 posts, read 1,488,325 times
sorry but i would not want to live in the central valley espically if you have a family (hot weather,cold winters,large amount of latino gangs)

Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM

840 posts, read 1,488,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awin1 View Post
Hi,

We are considering a move to Merced, CA and would like some opinions on the area.

A bit of background...... My disabled brother and myself (also somewhat disabled) have been living with and caring for our elderly mother who died at the end of August and we now are forced to sell the house and move. We currently live in San Jose and would like to relocate not too far away. Neither of us will be working and we have pretty simple needs in terms of "recreational activities." We're politically liberal (don't quite know if we have "san francisco values or not - but close <g>) and appreciate "multi-culturalism." Cooking's also a hobby and we appreciate a good selection of "ethnic foods." Due to our disabilities, we can't be in a snow area, and due to my phobias about global warming in years in come, I don't care to relocate to the Sacramento/Delta area. We have 3 large dogs and I have an interest in gardening so a condo or apartment is not an option.

And - we also won't have a great deal of $$ to invest in a new home.

From afar, Merced seems appealing because it's not too far from the bay area, Sacramento, Yosemite, etc., it seems to be very affordable by CA standards, and it's a college/university town (although that's maybe a bit of a stretch at this point <g>). It also has some recreational opportunities that are appealing (lake yosemite for fishing and boating and an "RC park" for radio controlled planes, etc. which are an interest of my brother's). It seems that it has all of the major stores and is pretty "self-sufficient."

I know it gets really hot in the summer and that there's tule fog in the winter, but I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on other drawbacks and things I should look out for. Also which are the best neighborhoods, etc.
(I'm currently looking at the neighborhoods in the area a bit east of Olive and G street). I'd like to see some responses on the forum to maybe generate more responses from others but I also welcome private e-mails from anyone with more detailed insight into the city (I can be e-mailed at curi805@aol.com).

Thanks!
AW
please consider woodland california (outskirt city of sac)

Old 03-27-2007, 06:17 PM

California Is Superior,

Thanks for the recommendation. Although it's been a VERY long while, I went to college at UC Davis and I'm pretty familiar with Woodland (at least what it was like in the late 60's <g>). Just checked realtor.com and there's exactly ONE 3bed/2bath property (what we're looking for) under $300,000 - and that was $297,000 on not a big lot! I'm afraid that housing costs will be a big issue for us.

The crime is somewhat of a concern, but doesn't seem that much worse than lots of other large cities (as per the city-data stats) ... but will look into it some more. Not to minimize the problem, but I think alot depends on the particular neighborhood you live in and how much you're "out and about" in questionable areas. We've got 3 large dogs who SOUND pretty ferocious (sp?) with strangers so I'd feel fairly safe at home.

The weather's not ideal (to say the least)! but we could probably deal with it as we'll basically be home-bodies with heating and AC - and "beggars can't be choosers."

What I like about Merced, from what I've learned in my websurfing, it that it seems like a nice, self-contained smallish town with all the necessary shopping, medical, and recreational items in a small area. It looks easy to get around for whatever you need and no long trips on freeways that you encounter in more spread-out areas. The new UC campus is also attractive (although it's still in it's infancy now). Lake Yosemite is also very appealing as we like to fish and boat. In a way, Merced reminds me of what Davis used to be like...

But, we haven't made any final decision (and have some time to do so) so any more comments are more than welcome!

Anne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California