U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 AM

2,404 posts, read 2,463,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
California is no where near the "disaster" most southern states are.
Yeah - try stoppping for gas off Instate 95 in South Carolina at 3am. Not going to happen. But I wouldnt call them disasters.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM

832 posts, read 2,746,150 times
California is VERY prone. Earthquakes, fires, floods.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 AM

1,063 posts, read 913,334 times
Now I have to wonder how many here has actually been to a 3rd world country or even traveled outside US borders. Looking at the comments made here, I'm willing not too many. Having traveled extensively throughout SE and East Asia, calling California 3rd world is one of the most idiotic comments you can make about the state.

Oh and I'll take Earthquakes and brush fires over torandoes and hurricanes anyday of the week.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 AM

Brush fires. Like the one the burnt to the grown many of the homes in the Oakland Hills. Earthquakes, like SF in 89 or Northridge? Many deaths in both.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 AM

1,890 posts, read 4,092,741 times
This is so crazy. Some of the safest cities in America are in California. As far as deaths go- consider the deaths caused by hurricanes, tornados- heck even heat waves across the midwest in certain years. Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, most of Florida, are far closer to third world countries than California. Go to SF, Santa Barbara, Orange County and tell me California is a disasterous state. please.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 AM

981 posts, read 2,675,398 times
California is the state that most people like to generalize,especially when it comes to something negative.

Yup your right that CA has some of the safest cities in the country and this state isn't even at the top of the list of most dangerous states and our largest city"Los Angeles" is also one of the safest cities for it's size.

I went bike riding yesterday in the late afternoon and saw an amazing and colorful sunset with a warm breeze,and I also saw many other people going bike riding or going for walks around the parks with their kids.

I also went to the Beach in Southern CA last week and heard the waves crashing,and saw thousands of people strolling along the beach,swimming or just laying down and relaxing with a fresh cool breeze blowing...I also saw many beautiful birds flying overhead,and the view of the Pacific Ocean and the Mountains was Spectacular,and I even got to see the Marine Layer way out in the distance slowly heading toward the coast.

Yup that's my life in this diasterous state

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
This is so crazy. Some of the safest cities in America are in California. As far as deaths go- consider the deaths caused by hurricanes, tornados- heck even heat waves across the midwest in certain years. Mississippi, South Carolina, Louisiana, most of Florida, are far closer to third world countries than California. Go to SF, Santa Barbara, Orange County and tell me California is a disasterous state. please.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:01 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,328,285 times
Arrow It's worth repeating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Having traveled extensively throughout SE and East Asia, calling California 3rd world is one of the most idiotic comments you can make about the state.
If in doubt, re-read the above quote. It's worth repeating, CA is on par with France or Japan not the Third World, nor even the Developing World.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM

Califonria is #2 rated state for MOST disasters:

FEMA: Annual Major Disaster Declarations Totals

Old 06-14-2007, 03:57 PM

1,890 posts, read 4,092,741 times
And shockingly it is also the second largest of populated states. The number one state is the largest of populated states, Texas. Give it a rest BearBranch. I have lived in California most of my adult life and I have never known a single person injured by a natural disaster. I have been through earthquakes and frankly find rush hour traffic to more scary.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 PM

1,063 posts, read 913,334 times
The last Earthquake we had that caused any significant damage was Northridge, that was more than 13 years ago. Northridge caused some serious damage, but it was still northing compared to the Katrina's and Andrew's of the southeast. I still very much prefer Earthquakes to yearly hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California