Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:16 AM

38 posts, read 129,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
CA is still a nice place to live,but it's all about Location or Income that makes a difference whether you'll love it here or hate it.

CA borders Mexico,so of course you'll hear Spanish Spoken in this state,but English is still widely spoken.

I'm sorry that CA didn't work out for you,but their are still many others such as myself that love it here
I recently interviewed in SoCal for a job - my first time in the state and I was surprised how brown it was- not like what is seen on tv. The COL is VERY high compared to the South East and when I went into a fast food joint - the workers did NOT speak english. The woman behind the counter was angry that I did not speak Spanish. What a culture shock! For myself and family - I declined the job.

I guess it is just a different way of living.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:20 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,849,460 times
I live in CA and I see lots of greenery around me and i'm not Wealthy and yet i'm happy here.

I never had trouble finding someone who speaks English

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchick View Post
I recently interviewed in SoCal for a job - my first time in the state and I was surprised how brown it was- not like what is seen on tv. The COL is VERY high compared to the South East and when I went into a fast food joint - the workers did NOT speak english. The woman behind the counter was angry that I did not speak Spanish. What a culture shock! For myself and family - I declined the job.

I guess it is just a different way of living.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:52 PM

10 posts, read 61,474 times
I never had trouble finding someone who speaks English [/quote]

Are you kidding me?! What do you stay in the house all the time? I have trouble with that all the time and now have to learn spanish because of those idiots in Sacramento letting illegals run Commi-fornia's government. It is severe and only getting worse around here.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:09 AM

38,665 posts, read 22,660,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I live in CA and I see lots of greenery around me and i'm not Wealthy and yet i'm happy here.

I take it you never have a problem with understanding accents, etc.? I'm usually pretty good at understanding those whose first language isn't English, but sometimes I really have to concentrate on what they're saying in order to understand correctly. For example, there's this Vietnamese guy in my office who's used to having almost everyone repeat what he says because he's somewhat difficult to understand. But, he's one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 PM

No,I don't stay home all the time,but all the Spanish Speakers I know are either Billingual or have a relative or friend who speaks English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkid View Post
Are you kidding me?! What do you stay in the house all the time? I have trouble with that all the time and now have to learn spanish because of those idiots in Sacramento letting illegals run Commi-fornia's government. It is severe and only getting worse around here.[/quote]

Old 06-17-2007, 03:27 PM

Yup,I do have difficulty understanding certain accents

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I take it you never have a problem with understanding accents, etc.? I'm usually pretty good at understanding those whose first language isn't English, but sometimes I really have to concentrate on what they're saying in order to understand correctly. For example, there's this Vietnamese guy in my office who's used to having almost everyone repeat what he says because he's somewhat difficult to understand. But, he's one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 61,474 times
Yeah I guess it just depends on where but there are many that speak their language and only heir language. I have a friend who speaks very good english and yes he is legal. He has only been here a year though.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,670,350 times
uuuum, I don't think the original poster meant "disasterous" in the "disaster" sense.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,485,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
California is purely what you make it.
California is purely what they make it. And california is purely what it has turned into.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:21 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,374,940 times
I find it strange people harp on California for all of its faults- let's put another state to that kind of scrutiny and see how it measures up. Much of the South is poor, segregated, humid, and boring. A lot of the NE is just too cold and/or industrial and ugly. Pick a state, let's examine its positives and negatives and I will bet California will measure up very well.

Last edited by JakeDog; 06-17-2007 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California