U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 PM

8,644 posts, read 10,906,374 times

Advertisements

I am very homesick for the CA of my youth. It was really the best state in the 60's and 70's. We left 2 years ago for AZ. There is just as much crime in Phoenix as there is in L.A, but houses were about 1/2 the price of CA. We feared the "mortgaging the debt" would hit about the time we were ready to retire. The curent Gov is determined to socialize medicine and give all the illegals full coverage and of course our business would have been one to become a major sponser of his programs. We also got tired of the sue me sue you attitudes and watching each one of our transactions become a legal chess game. Life is better here, but I do miss the coast. I remember driving up the coast hwy in the 70's and I was just about the only car on it. Miles and miles of virgin coastline, no rooftops, no big boxes, just beach. Enjoy your California and I will fondly remember mine.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:22 PM

19,146 posts, read 13,980,680 times
I agree. CA has some wonderful memories for me as well. I lived in Big Bear Lake, the air quality was great and the population was about 6,000. The crime was little if any. We could take a ride to the beach, and because there wasn't the traffic problems we see now it only took a couple of hours. Now the air quality in Big Bear is actually worse then down the hill. The very worst of the smog is the upper level and it slides right into Big Bear. The population is more then the valley can handle. Now just to get down the hill you have to fight the traffic not only down the hill but on the mountain roads. The pine trees are dieing right and left. The whole forest looks very sad. Going up coast hwy 1 was always an adventure. As the last poster said...no traffic to speak of. You didn't have to have reservations just to get place to sleep. People were for the most part very friendly and happy. It was so virgin then. Now it's so many homes, to much traffic to enjoy the scenery and more of a job to dirve up the coast then a good time. CA does have the best weather in the states I think but it's just not worth all the crime and over population. It's not a clean state anymore for the most part. Trash all over the roads.....I suppose if I were extremly rich and could seclude myself from the majority of CA cities I would remain here. And I mean RICH!!! But I'm not that rich and getting older so I'm heading out!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:55 PM

6 posts, read 19,713 times
In an attempt to keep a balanced opinion to both "pro" and "con" Cailifornia opinions, I will offer the following. Having lived from San Diego,Ontario, Upland,Rancho Cucamonga, Sonora, and finally Redding, I loved the time I had there. It is a beautiful state with breathtaking land and seascapes. It has some of the best highways. But CA has changed. The community from which we left, Redding, has the highest number per capita of registered sexual offenders in the nation. Schools there are continuing to cut programs and community health centers are closing due to lack of funds. Yet, the city,county and state agencies are raising fees and taxes! Where does the money go? It's a matter of priorities that were misplaced or misguided several decades ago. The state has huge past, present, and future debt. And the cost of that debt will be passed on to those who remain. I had a great business and loved my community but what about my kids, what future was there for them. Even for a small community, crime and drug use were high. No pun there! Housing costs going through the roof. And, again, just last week, another molester was arrested Redding. I had to make a choice, leave and give my kids and family better opportunities or stay for a business I built and mountains and a couple of nice lakes. Uhaul..$4000.00,motels,food,fuel...$2900.00, seeing my family loving our new home, kids going to outstanding schools, my hard working dollar going farther than ever before...priceless!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:12 PM

76 posts, read 202,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Well, if "what you can put up with" is what you make it then "California is purely what you make it." How about making the best of what you're "putting up with"?
well if putting up with or what i make of it is living paycheck to paycheck while making 50,000 a year and not being able to afford a home of our own. living in a semi ok neighborhood just to try and make it to the next check. morallity being thrown out the window with common courtesy just for the almighty dollar.. importance of family dwindling to almost nothing in a town that "claims" to be a family town than ok i am putting up with it but thank goodness not for long. i have not been so happy in this town since i came back from wa. state after buying our first home in a town where my child and his needs are a priority. its funny in my town of Fort Bragg people are saying that its the retirees and tourist that are keeping this place going. they are wrong its the families that are WORKING that are keeping this place going. without them who will wait on them in the restaurants and supermarkets and stores.. that is being forgotten more and more everyday and in time they will see. I was born and raised in southern cali and left to the bay area when i was 27 and now live here in northern cali for 2 years. so i have lived all over cali and i can see the decline of the state unless your the super rich or very well off. so for those that say well i have never heard of a drive by shooting or any crimes than stay in your gated community and dont leave cuz if you do -- you will see the REAL cali that exist outside.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
If money weren't an issue, would your opinion about California change?
although money not being an issue would make it easier ... morallity can not be bought. the decline of the state is a big reason i want to leave .. good thought tho

Old 03-03-2007, 08:48 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,580,944 times
california is a slum it's pretty sad to see the way this state is headed. there are people pushing baskets home from the grocery stores and leaving them on the street corner, you have people selling fruit on the street corner. tell me that's not 3rd world. people parking on their freakin lawns. hard working people like myself and my husband who work our butts off to make a mortgage and have the state pay for welfare people to live next door in a brand new home compliments of the government. oh and by the way they are eating better than me too. cause you better believe the state pays for their food. how about the fact that if i want a credit card i need to fill out a long application but if i am an illegal all i have to do is request one and get it yeah i agree with the original poster this state is turning into a 3rd world country! welcome to MEXIFORNIA everybody.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:15 PM

It's true...I hate to say it. When you go to the grocery store check out the majority of people pay with either food stamps or some type of state assistance. And I'm the one paying for those food stamps etc. And yes, not only fruit but all kinds of food stuff, cooked and fresh are sold on many street corners with no license. It is very similar to being in Mexico. People even set up a tamale stand out of the back of their car. Advertisements are in English AND Spanish. It is pretty sad to see just how bad it has become. There are dirty diapers left in shopping carts or just thrown on the ground in the market parking lots. LOUD Mexican music every Friday and Saturday nights with a few gun shots in the background. It's definately not the CA I have spent my entire life in.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
california is a slum it's pretty sad to see the way this state is headed. there are people pushing baskets home from the grocery stores and leaving them on the street corner, you have people selling fruit on the street corner. tell me that's not 3rd world. people parking on their freakin lawns. hard working people like myself and my husband who work our butts off to make a mortgage and have the state pay for welfare people to live next door in a brand new home compliments of the government. oh and by the way they are eating better than me too. cause you better believe the state pays for their food. how about the fact that if i want a credit card i need to fill out a long application but if i am an illegal all i have to do is request one and get it yeah i agree with the original poster this state is turning into a 3rd world country! welcome to MEXIFORNIA everybody.

>>>>oh apparently the california that you describe doesnt exist to some people. believe me i know it does and then some. you mention you and your husband working your butts off to try to pay for a mortgage while next door someone on public assistance is there free and clear. well try being the couple that dont even quaulify for any housing break cuz we work. yeah thats right we make too much lol we are about 2000 above the limit so we are too rich for any kind of help but too poor to afford anything. I remember being told that if i divorced my husband that i would qualify. i thought you gotta be kidding me. i give up the man i would die for and the father of my son for a house and food stamps? give me a break. i told them no and they said well you can divorce him and still let him live there just dont tell no one. is this where we have come in this state? where a hard working married couple get penalized cuz they want to raise a family ( God forbid -- sarcasism here) together with love, morals, ethics, and respect? this is insane.
and these same people that are on the govt dollar which i pay for btw have the nerve to complain when they are asked to look for work... yet nothing is done about them doing it or not. or if they have to wait in line to see the doctor which i also pay for. and while i am paying for their doctor visit and all the medical care they get -- i have no insurance because again i am over the limit of what is considered low income. so i am paying out of my own pocket everytime i go to see a doctor and my neighbor is using all the money she saves on food, rent, and health care to go to bingo every other night spending 40 dollars a pop.. am i the only one that sees a problem here? i know i am not but more people need to speak up and say enough is enough. ok i can get off my soap box now lol. i am sorry but i have just about had enough of this state and the red tape bull that it throws at us. there is a young middle class flight going on in cali and when we are gone what will be left? the super rich and the super poor wow what will happen then. the rich get tax breaks and dont pay for services the poor use up the services who will pay then... just a thought

Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Yep, CA is definately a "welfare-state".

Old 03-04-2007, 04:39 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,580,944 times
[quote=dusesean1986;256115]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
I have been gone for 2 years now and feel great. I live in a state now full of promise, full of energy, excitement, kind of how California was back in the mid 70s. QUOTE]

lol. What mystery state do you live in?

Does it really matter what state he moved to? It's out of California...more power to him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California