U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,528 times
Default Northern California.

I'm 18 years old and have lived in New Paltz NY for the past 5 years. New Paltz is quite the party town seeing as it has a collage in it, its been on high times top 10 party towns a few times. I'm looking for a town in california that knows how to have just as much fun as little old new paltz, however I dont want to be in the 'gettho' even if it means party centrel. Honeslty im looking to get away and make some money useing my trade (computer repair tech), learn more about it, and have the fun ive grown acustom to but in the butifual setting of california.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,111,148 times
Are you looking for a college town? I would recommend Chico. It has a small town feel, but knows how to party. Cost of living is also cheap for California.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 6,638,021 times
Chico and Eureka (Cal State Chico and Humboldt State) both have state colleges in them. Chico in particular has had a long standing reputation as a party school. However, I have no knowledge whether you could make a living there. My thinking is that the supply of skilled techie college students would be high, and the corresponding wages would be low. I would come with a substantial amount of savings to cover any initial rough patches.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,111,148 times
Actually Humboldt State is in Arcata, and is definitely not a party school. The job markets in both areas would be pretty tough.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 PM

5,632 posts, read 10,011,085 times
perhaps Davis

Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 PM

5,112 posts, read 5,315,571 times
I think Chico is your choice if you want both a job market and party time. Chico is much hotter than Arcata; Chico will be around 105 and Arcata may only reach 65 on the same day. The cost of living other than rent is significantly higher in Arcata, though finding a place to rent in Arcata can be difficult and the same goes with a job. Arcata has the ocean and local mountains and Chico is a good 4 hours from the coast but fairly close to the Sierras.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM

250 posts, read 66,259 times
Regarding Eureka and Arcata, you can't beat the climate... but you will not likely find a living wage job there unless highly educated and licensed.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:28 AM

64 posts, read 196,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
Regarding Eureka and Arcata, you can't beat the climate... but you will not likely find a living wage job there unless highly educated and licensed.
Actually I know a number of people who hate the climate. They felt it was too gloomy. It really depends on what you like.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 AM

799 posts, read 2,776,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggcream View Post
I'm 18 years old and have lived in New Paltz NY for the past 5 years. New Paltz is quite the party town seeing as it has a collage in it, its been on high times top 10 party towns a few times. I'm looking for a town in california that knows how to have just as much fun as little old new paltz, however I dont want to be in the 'gettho' even if it means party centrel. Honeslty im looking to get away and make some money useing my trade (computer repair tech), learn more about it, and have the fun ive grown acustom to but in the butifual setting of california.
Santa Cruz may suit you.
Silicon Valley just over the hill ... Brutal commute at rush hour however.
San Francisco just up the road ... sort of .... roughly 2 hours (give or take).
Montery just down the road ... 1/2 - 3/4 hour when no traffic.
Santa Cruz knows how to have fun. UCSC is here and there is, generally speaking, a happy approach to life and living.
There are no "ghettos" ... rentals are expensive but you're young and if open to roommate situations can find a good place to live.
The climate is good - great depending on what you like. There is rain in the winter but there isn't a wear-you-down gloominess that you may experience in more northern parts of CA.
Many days in the winter that are beautiful and sunny and in the low 60's.
Summers are never too hot. Beautiful fog that cools things down but easy to find the sun just a few miles away from the shore.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:56 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,526,122 times
I wouldnt recommend Chico, unless you like being out in the middle of nowhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California