Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,574 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the impossible: Cheap land, not desert, no rattlesnakes, that is good for horses and riding, in CA.

I've been considering Dorris, but it may be too desert-not sure. Also looking in Northern Ca. both central and coast.

Does anyone know anything about Olema, CA?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cskipper View Post
I am looking for the impossible: Cheap land, not desert, no rattlesnakes, that is good for horses and riding, in CA.

I've been considering Dorris, but it may be too desert-not sure. Also looking in Northern Ca. both central and coast.

Does anyone know anything about Olema, CA?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Are these "Cheap land, not desert, no rattlesnakes, that is good for horses" your only requirements? Will you or anyone be working somewhere? Schools? Medical facilities? etc?

How many acres?

What is "cheap" in $/acre?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Riverside and San Bernardino have horse friendly communities that are cheaper than the more populous areas. I lived in Norco, Lake Matthews, and Menifee for a few years of my life and we had horses in each location, as did many others. The best place for riding was mostly along the Santa Ana River

Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
I don't know if you can find anywhere in California to ride horses where there won't be the occasional rattlesnake. I mean, you certainly won't find cheap horseland in Mendocino. Anyway, if you are riding, you won't get bit. And while there is a miniscule chance your horse could get bit, they are big and hardy enough to weather a simple rattlesnake bite without too much ill effect.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:05 PM

162 posts, read 572,394 times
Anywhere there is enough space for horses, there are likely to be rattlesnakes, if not where you keep your horses then at least where you ride them. It's just the way it is in So Cal. All the local nurseries where I live even have signs out warning about them; open space = rattlesnakes.

I hate them myself, scared of running into them hiking. Then I was looking into places like the South, and they have ALL kinds of poisonous snakes that are much more numerous. Not that that helps you, just sayin'.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Maybe Stockton. You can get 10 acres on the waterfront for $550,000.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
To the best of my knowledge, there are rattlesnakes all over California, though they're not prominent in most of the cities. Once you get to the area where the city gives way to open spaces, though, they're very likely. About the only part of the state where I haven't ever seen them is in the highest parts of the Sierra Nevada range, above 10,000 ft. or so. They might even be there, but I have never seen one in that area. All of those areas, as far as I know, are part of the National Forest or National Park systems, so you aren't likely to find any property for sale there.

If what you're after is cheap land, and the consideration of amenities isn't an issue, I'd suggest looking around Alturas. It's pretty country, though there are some areas of desert not far from there. Real estate prices were still pretty affordable as far as California goes last time I checked (though that's been several years). There are also still likely to be rattlesnakes there, too.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I'll bang the drum for Calaveras County again

Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
FYI - Rattlesankes would rather run from humans and horses than fight. You're not likely to get bitten unless you surprise or corner one. Typically rattlesnakes detect ground vibrations and can tell that somehting big, way too big is approaching and they will slither away or out of site for safety.

Their natural pray is small rodents.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
My friend used to board her horses in Victorville & Apple Valley, which are in the San Bernardino mountains (near Big Bear)... it's slightly desert-like since you're near Barstow, but high enough elevation that it doesn't feel like it. It's pretty reasonably priced down there, at least compared to the rest of California. Just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California