U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:04 AM

6 posts, read 50,639 times
Red face Bakersfield... where to live???

We will be relocating from Dallas to Bakersfield for my husbands job. What are the recommended areas for living in Bakersfield? Nice, clean, well-kept neighborhoods. Middle class to upper middle class. Not a snob here or anything. We are now emptynesters so schools are not an issue.
Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,008,607 times
Do you know where the job will be? That could influence your decision somewhat.

In general, people almost always recommend the northwest (Rosedale) area. It's an area of mostly newer homes with low crime, good schools, nice places for shopping, and most of the things people look for in a neighborhood.

The southwest is also often recommended, since it's a little less expensive than the northwest, but still mostly newer construction, and nice communities.

The Westchester area (just west of downtown) is an older area, but with nice, well kept homes in beautiful neighborhoods. This area is also desirable. Personally, it is one of my favorite areas in town, if only because of the beautiful older homes.

The northeast part of town also has some nice neighborhoods, some of which are fairly new, at least out towards the "Rio Bravo" or "Mesa Marin" areas. This area is near the mouth of the Kern River canyon, which provides quick access to the river, the mountains, and Lake Isabella (about 40 miles east).

The worst part of town, and the area most people suggest you stay away from, is the southeast. This seems to be the area with the most crime and the lowest home values.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:23 AM

2,022 posts, read 2,572,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo3263 View Post
We will be relocating from Dallas to Bakersfield for my husbands job. What are the recommended areas for living in Bakersfield? Nice, clean, well-kept neighborhoods. Middle class to upper middle class. Not a snob here or anything. We are now emptynesters so schools are not an issue.
Thank you!!!!
I will agree with what jdavid said. Stick to the northwest (Rosedale, Brimhall, etc.) or the southwest (Haggin Oaks, Seven Oaks, etc.) and you'll be in good shape. Westchester is also a good area, I grew up in the Westchester area but my parents moved out here to the Brimhall area when I was twelve, both are great places although some parts of Westchester have gone downhill. Another place to look is the Bakersfield County Club area. This is in the northeast (?) I believe. The way these sections of town are decided is by Stockdale Highway and the 99 freeway. So Stockdale Highway separates the North from the South and the 99 freeway separates the East from the West. But Stockdale doesn't go all the way to the county club, it turns into Brundage Lane so I might be wrong about which section the Bakersfield County Club is in. There's a nifty tool on the Bakersfield Californian (newspaper) website to search homes in the area: Kern County Homes | Bakersfield.com - Kern County news, events, shopping & search. Any other questions about the area?

Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 AM

1,634 posts, read 4,029,395 times
Oildale. Isn't that about as close to Texas as CA gets, like Oklahoma.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Oildale. Isn't that about as close to Texas as CA gets, like Oklahoma.
Bakersfield itself sometimes feels like a town that was mistakenly placed in California but belongs in the south. Most of us in Bako make fun of people from Oildale. High school kids and even some older people call them 08ers, like their zip code, 93308. It's a white trash neighborhood by most standards. But I know plenty of normal, nice people live there. It's not exactly diverse and there were incidences of cross burnings and the like to protest if black families planned to move in but for all I know those were thirty years ago. I'd stick with other parts of Bakersfield, except parts of the Southeast , you couldn't pay me to drive through there.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Red face Thank you!!!

My husband will be working for Pro U... dont know where it is in relation to the rest of Bakersfield as of yet.
I am a nurse so....

Thank you for all of the recommendations. I like to know how others feel about where they live...I never trust the literature you look at.

I dont want anything to remind of me Texas...so Oildale sounds out...
I just moved here for the work....

And what is it about the southeast areas of most towns/cities??
Dallas and Savannah alike...those are areas you dont want to be in after dark.

You all are great!!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
My husband will be working for Pro U... dont know where it is in relation to the rest of Bakersfield as of yet.
I am a nurse so....

Thank you for all of the recommendations. I like to know how others feel about where they live...I never trust the literature you look at.

I dont want anything to remind of me Texas...so Oildale sounds out...
I just moved here for the work....

And what is it about the southeast areas of most towns/cities??
Dallas and Savannah alike...those are areas you dont want to be in after dark.

You all are great!!
Pro U? I'm not familiar with that. If you tell me what it is I can figure out where it is in town and give more specific recommendations. Haha, yeah, the Southeast in every city tends to be the worst part of town. But yeah, I can give you more specific info too if you want. Ooh, and restaurant recommendations, we have some great restaurants in town and despite a common misconception, not all of our restaurants are chains. Also, not sure about your family situation but if you're concerned about schools I could give you info on that as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 AM

Red face Processes Unlimited

Pro U is an engineering firm. I just know its in Bakersfield, but not an address as of yet.

We are now empty-nesters. Our youngest we are leaving behind in Austin, as he is will be a junior at UT.

Thank you so much for all of the recommendations... I appreciate anything you care to share.

I will either work in a hospital or continue in home health.

Have a great day!!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Pro U is an engineering firm. I just know its in Bakersfield, but not an address as of yet.

We are now empty-nesters. Our youngest we are leaving behind in Austin, as he is will be a junior at UT.

Thank you so much for all of the recommendations... I appreciate anything you care to share.

I will either work in a hospital or continue in home health.

Have a great day!!
I asked my dad and he said the full name is Processes Unlimited. I looked at the website and found this: Processes Unlimited (http://www.prou.com/v3/contact.aspx - broken link). I have driven by that Bakersfield office like a billion times. It's on Ming Avenue so an easy commute would be from Haggin Oaks which is in the Southwest. Another good commute would be from Seven Oaks. There's also a hospital nearby, Mercy Southwest, which is also in the Southwest (obviously ). Haggin Oaks and Seven Oaks are both great places.

Again, this site has a great tool for searching local properties by zip code or neighborhood. And this is just to get you started, there are other areas you could consider such as Old Stockdale.

Here is the general site: Kern County Homes | Bakersfield.com - Kern County news, events, shopping & search

Here are the Haggin Oaks listings (price high to low): Haggin Oaks Real Estate & Haggin Oaks Homes For Sale Bakersfield Homes

Here are the Seven Oaks listings (price high to low):
Seven Oaks Real Estate & Seven Oaks Homes For Sale Bakersfield Homes

Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 PM

9,612 posts, read 10,168,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Bakersfield itself sometimes feels like a town that was mistakenly placed in California but belongs in the south. Most of us in Bako make fun of people from Oildale. High school kids and even some older people call them 08ers, like their zip code, 93308. It's a white trash neighborhood by most standards. But I know plenty of normal, nice people live there. It's not exactly diverse and there were incidences of cross burnings and the like to protest if black families planned to move in but for all I know those were thirty years ago. I'd stick with other parts of Bakersfield, except parts of the Southeast , you couldn't pay me to drive through there.
Thats pretty funny, it's amazing how a legend from 50 years ago hangs around, Oildale S. of norris is pretty much a run down Hispanic area now, N. of Norris isn't so bad and the farther N. it gets fairly good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California