Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 PM

195 posts, read 648,391 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Los Angeles- or Orange County in the future and I want to move to a city that has snow sometimes during winter. I don't mean that much snow like other cities, a little bit of snow so it makes me happy because I really LOVE snow during the winter.... And I also love Palm trees!

Does any city in LA / OC area gets snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM

46 posts, read 162,501 times
Only under bizarre, freakish conditions.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
I does not snow in the urban areas of LA or Orange County. It rarely drops below 55 at night during the winter. If you want snow, you can always head up to the local mountain resorts like Big Bear or Arrowhead which get covered in snow at winter time and even have ski resorts. The area is located about 1.5 to 3 hours from LA/OC depending on traffic.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Palmdale and Lancaster get light snow maybe 3 times during the season. It's high desert. I believe Victor Valley might get snow.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 PM

790 posts, read 4,018,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
I want to move to Los Angeles- or Orange County in the future and I want to move to a city that has snow sometimes during winter. I don't mean that much snow like other cities, a little bit of snow so it makes me happy because I really LOVE snow during the winter.... And I also love Palm trees!

Does any city in LA / OC area gets snow?
You want palm trees and snow? You ask for too much grasshopper .
If i want snow i drive to the mountains (Truckee/Tahoe area) .... 4 1/2 hours (roughly and depending) from Santa Cruz .... and we have palm trees here as well ... and Redwoods.
I love snow too.
And by the way, you do not want to be on the road in California where it never snows when there is a freak snow fall. It's truly scary ... and funny too for those of us who know how to drive on snow.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
I live in snow country, about an hour north of the San Fernando Valley. I commute from here to there pretty much daily, so I get to see snow and palm trees regularly. Most southern Californians end up just visiting the snow when the time is right, rather than trying to live in it.

If you want to be close to L.A. and Orange County, but still have snow in the winter, I'd recommend that you look into the communities around the Big Bear area (Lake Arrowhead, Crestline, Running Springs, etc.) or possibly the Idyllwild area. You might also want to check out Wrightwood, or possibly even Pinion Hills, which is near there. It might take up to about two hours to reach L.A. from some of those places, though, so you'll want to look carefully at where you need to be.

The high desert communities (Victorville, Barstow, Palmdale, Lancaster, etc.) sometimes get snow at least once during a winter, but it's usually not very much, and is not consistent from year to year. Some years they have several storms that drop snow, some years none at all.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
As others have written, you will not experience snow anywhere in the lower elevations of LA & Orange counties because the climate is too warm in winter. But outside of Los Angeles up in the Angeles Forest one can get to snow after a particularly cold winter storm & the highest peaks have ski resorts.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM

322 posts, read 1,103,126 times
are you kidding me....lol... that's common sense there's no way possible it'll snow ever in LA orange country area...im from Fresno,ca it last snowed here ten years ago... but yeah dude i think 2 years ago it got to like as low as 35 degrees down in the socal area....LA orange county area... but i mean that's extremely rare.. here up north in the central valley in Fresno,ca.. it averagely gets to about 27 to 28 degrees for the low for the coldest time of the year... soo it's a slightly bit more possible to snow here and there's palm trees everywhere here....too...

but with all that being said... Fresno,ca is the single most overall worst city in the U.S so i don't suggest you move here...

have you thought of possibly North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia the coastlines in all those states have palm trees and there all just south of the palm tree line too... and they occasionally get snow too..

pretty much 4 cities i'd say.. and i know there not anywhere near socal.. but they might have what you want..

1. Wilmington,NC
2. Myrtle beach, SC
3. Charleston,SC
4. Savannah,GA

Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Wrightwood gets snow regularly and it is located right by the LA county line. I would imagine there are other towns in the San Gabriels that get snow as well.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM

708 posts, read 687,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinkeys View Post
Only under bizarre, freakish conditions.
haha so true

it snowed were i lived 18 years ago but i wasn't alive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California