U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:16 AM

3,864 posts, read 6,305,069 times

Advertisements

Google Image Result for http://www.calbusiness.ca.gov/images/cedpregionsmap.jpg

That's the california orgonization of regions.

Everyone has an entitlement to what they think where each region is though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,306,687 times
The Sacramento Valley and the San Joaquin Valley form the two halves of the so-called Central Valley.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 AM

25,105 posts, read 32,667,991 times
Its just that I used to live in Sacramento and my job required me to travel to Fresno on business frequently and the Sacramento Area is just much larger and has more cultural amenities imHo.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,753,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I find it hard to believe Fresno has more things to do than Sac. Sac has a better skyline, has a river running through downtown, decent nightlife and art scene, an NBA team not college, decent mass tran (bus and light rail and soon a streetcar system), and construction will start on a new terminal at Sac Intl Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its just that I used to live in Sacramento and my job required me to travel to Fresno on business frequently and the Sacramento Area is just much larger and has more cultural amenities imHo.
Depending upon how long ago you were making trips to Fresno you may have missed a lot of the change in the last few years.

Sac does have a lot of the things you mentioned. But Fresno is adding many things also.

Fresno is currently working to improve mass transit, the city is in the planning stage for the first phase of a streetcar system. Improvements to the bus system should be seen in the next year or two.

Fresno's local art scene has grown. The local art hop is now increased to 3 nights a month and still growing.
Events Happening at ArtHop (http://www.fresnoarts.net/arthop - broken link)
Fresno Art Museum - Home Page
Fresno Metropolitan Museum | of Art and Science
Arte Américas - Home

While Fresno doesn't have an NBA team, it does have ECHL hockey, AFL2 arena football, AAA baseball, etc.

Fresno is also expanding its airport. International flights now leave Fresno every day of the week, just like SMF. While the Fresno airport is smaller it is growing while many others are seeing flights being cut.

Fresno's river doesn't run through downtown but Fresno does have a river parkway like Sacramento, but without the party scene from rafters.
San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust

Fresno is just now seeing the build up of an urban lifestyle downtown. Ground breaks in a few weeks on a new downtown complex with apartments, shops, restaurants and an ice skating rink.
FresnoBee.com: Local: Key downtown Fresno project in works (broken link)
Downtown lofts have been opening in the Cultural Arts district near several museums also.
:::::::::: URBAN FRESNO ::::::::::

Sacramento has a lot to like but it is also twice the metro area size as Fresno.

Give those of us down here time, we are just where Sac was in the late 70s/early 80s. But we hope to avoid some of the mistakes Sac made.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:40 PM

17,005 posts, read 14,347,066 times
I doubt Fresno has more to do than Sac. I also doubt Fresno has more or better jobs than Sac. It depends on what kind of work you are looking for. The populations of both cities are almost the same, but Sac is surrounded by suburbs. Fresno is surrounded by farm land. Last I heard, the only international flight from FAT (Fresno airport) was to Mexico.

Fresno Facts-just curious, have you always lived in the Fresno area, or are you from somewhere else?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,961,133 times
I like the fact that FresnoFacts stands up for Fresno! Fresno gets beaten up a lot on this forum. Rep points for Mr. Facts.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,753,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I doubt Fresno has more to do than Sac. I also doubt Fresno has more or better jobs than Sac. It depends on what kind of work you are looking for. The populations of both cities are almost the same, but Sac is surrounded by suburbs. Fresno is surrounded by farm land. Last I heard, the only international flight from FAT (Fresno airport) was to Mexico.
Sacramento only gained service to Canada last June, prior to that they also only had international service to Mexico.
Quote:
Fresno Facts-just curious, have you always lived in the Fresno area, or are you from somewhere else?
Came here from elsewhere on a corporate transfer. lived on the coast before Fresno. I said OK I'll do it for 2 or 3 years then get out. Like many, my thought was why would anyone want to stay in Fresno.

But 25 years and several job changes later I've put down roots and discovered that Fresno does have more to offer than most are willing to see.

Until someone quits seeing the grass being greener elsewhere and makes their own grass green they will never be happy. That doesn't mean I think Fresno is perfect just that it is not as horrible as some like to say.

Travel for my career has taken me to over 35 states and several foreign countries. So I have had the chance to compare against many other areas.

Don't try to compare Fresno to larger places or suburbs of larger cities, compare it to similiar sized metro areas like Dayton, Albany, Rochester, Tulsa, etc.

A midsized city just doesn't have the same things as a larger city. So its not fair to simply compare Fresno vs Sacramento or San Diego or Denver or other larger cities and say they have more. Size alone will mean that is true.

But do you take advantage of those things in a larger city every day, if you don't then how close do they need to be?

Ultimately all of us just live day to day. That means having a job, a place to live, family and friends, etc. Everything else is meaningless compared to those. We make our own misery and our own happiness.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 PM

17,005 posts, read 14,347,066 times
FF - thanks for answering my question. So many people are in Fresno because that's where they were born, and they just never left. It is nice to hear that someone who has experienced many different places can still enjoy what Fresno has to offer.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:32 PM

433 posts, read 1,646,485 times
Sacramento metro is 2 million, Fresno 1 million.

Hard to compare just from that aspect. There's also much more white collar/government/technology presence in the Sacramento market.

Sacramento and the Bay Area will eventually form the San-Sac megalopolis. At this point, only Davis seems to want to keep a green space buffer. Vacaville is almost unrecognizable from when I moved to Sac in the early 90s. What used to be farm land is now an almost endless sprawl along the I-80 corridor.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:53 PM

631 posts, read 858,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Sacramento only gained service to Canada last June, prior to that they also only had international service to Mexico.

Came here from elsewhere on a corporate transfer. lived on the coast before Fresno. I said OK I'll do it for 2 or 3 years then get out. Like many, my thought was why would anyone want to stay in Fresno.

But 25 years and several job changes later I've put down roots and discovered that Fresno does have more to offer than most are willing to see.

Until someone quits seeing the grass being greener elsewhere and makes their own grass green they will never be happy. That doesn't mean I think Fresno is perfect just that it is not as horrible as some like to say.

Travel for my career has taken me to over 35 states and several foreign countries. So I have had the chance to compare against many other areas.

Don't try to compare Fresno to larger places or suburbs of larger cities, compare it to similiar sized metro areas like Dayton, Albany, Rochester, Tulsa, etc.

A midsized city just doesn't have the same things as a larger city. So its not fair to simply compare Fresno vs Sacramento or San Diego or Denver or other larger cities and say they have more. Size alone will mean that is true.

But do you take advantage of those things in a larger city every day, if you don't then how close do they need to be?

Ultimately all of us just live day to day. That means having a job, a place to live, family and friends, etc. Everything else is meaningless compared to those. We make our own misery and our own happiness.
I respect that. I never bashed Fresno other than its not my cup of tea. This thread is simply a comparison, not a "my city is better than ours". To be honest, I've only pass through Fresno on my way to LA and never had an extended stay there. I want to learn more.

I currently live in San Francisco but was born and raised in Sac. I don't appreciate when people in SF look down on Sac like we're some backwater town. I always tell my friends in SF the great aspects about Sac.

With the info you've given me, Fresno does have the potenial to become a great city and like you mention, avoid the mistakes Sacramento has done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California