Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,885 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll! And yes I said ya'll lol. I felt it was appropriate since I’m a small town girl. But this small town girl is ready to burst at the seams. I'm ready to get out of this place. Which brings me to my question... where is the best place to move in CA??? Please consider: I (26) will be moving along with my husband (27), best friend (26), and her 3 year old daughter. We've lived in a small town all our lives. We're hoping for so much more. We're hoping to relocate to a place with much more opportunities, experiences, etc. We've decided that CA is the place for us. But now that we have it narrowed down to a state... we're looking for the perfect city, town, suburb, etc. for us. Our first and foremost concern is safety. Keep in mind, there will be a child along for this ride. We're also wanting to get the most out of this experience as possible. Since we're moving from a small, small town on the east coast, we are looking for that "big city" experience. Because there are three working adults in this household, our housing budget can be adjusted a little. For the three adults, there are only two cars. So any public transportation would be appreciated. We're looking to experience all that CA has to offer; beaches, city life, night life, opportunities that aren’t an option here on the east coast, etc. So... any suggestions???
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
There's no beaches or cities on the east coast? Really?

What's your housing budget and for what kind of housing? What kind of work do you all do? Have you researched job opportunities in California? Do you know that no one's hiring? If you're all working, who's going to take care of the 3 year old?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:00 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,135 times
The best place to move is wherever you can find a job. CA's unemployment rate is high and the economy is very poor. Jobs are scarce. Find a job first, then move.

Also, have you ever visited CA? You really should lay eyes on the pace before you decide to move here.

The areas with all the things you want (city life, night life, beaches, etc.) are all VERY expensive places to live. Very high cost of living involved. Whether it's worth it for you to move here under those circumstances is up to you.

The places that fit the bill for you are, generally speaking, San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, and the San Francisco bay area. Maybe the Sacramento area, too. Finding safe areas with these metros will be challenging but they certainly do exist. And you do need to pick between city living and suburb living.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,398 times
I think you may want to spend a few hours reading some of the issues Californians are facing on this forum. It will probably cause you to rethink your decision or at least pick another state.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,885 times
obviously there are cities and beaches on the east coast. stupid question. but when your from a small town like we are, your looking for the farthest thing from home.

but our housing budget is b/w $1500 -$1900. apartment preferably. yes we've researched jobs. we each have different experience w/in our fields. but as FYI, there is no one hiring here either.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2run View Post
but as FYI, there is no one hiring here either.
Yes, but your cost of living there is much lower. Have you done a cost of living comparison?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:23 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
where is the best place to move in CA
Beverly hills, CA is the best place

Rent starts at 10,000 for a one bedroom. 3bed 2 bath home starts at 2 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California