Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 AM

252 posts, read 1,127,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanseev View Post
I guess my question would be how much isn't money an issue?? California cost of living is much higher than other areas, and most of the nicer communities have home prices that START at $500k to $800k...and that's to start...a small, outdated home. Oh, and forget about having any type of land.

Anyhow....one of the highest ranking school systems that is in southern california is Temecula, CA. It's about an hour from San Diego airport (as long as it's not during rush hour), and 45 minutes from Ontario airport. Temecula has a mini wine-country area, and is within an hour to San Diego, Disney, and the ocean.

Keep in mind that traffic in southern california is the worst. I moved from Boston and said "naaaaa, nothing can be as bad as the Big Dig in Boston...". It's worse. Much worse. And the problem is that it is usually anytime, any day. It's not just during the "rush hour" time.

Temecula is a great family community...the only problem is that it is very "commercial"...meaning lots of chain restaurants.
The Best public schools in Socal are in Orange Co. Temecula HS's (best in Riverside Co) would rate somewhere in the top 10 in SD but only about average compared to those in OC. Amongst the best HS in OC ( and the country) are Troy Tech in Fullerton, any in Irvine and numerous coastal city HS in South OC. But yeah, if I was limited to a good home for around $500k, Temecula would be the best combination of affordability of a house/ neighborhoods/ and public HS.

Are there many intl flights from ONT or SD? Whenever I fly, I use LAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 54,192 times
Default thanks

Thank you for your opinions, it is very helpful to hear from folks that live around there. I will look into Temecula. What I meant by money isn't an issue, is that while we can afford to live in a big estate type home, I refuse to raise my children in that kind of entitlement and lonliness. I don't want to have to drive all day taking them places to be entertained and educated. It is much healthier for us to spend our time getting to know those around us and helping each other out, etc.
I wish California community planners would have thought through the mechanics of daily life before they put up house after house of the same 'ole and so spread apart from the schools and stores and with such busy roads you cant walk anywhere. I long for a neighborhood in the true sense of the word---different types and ages of people, local support and trust, good people looking out for one another. Is that anywhere you know of?

Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlars View Post
Thank you for your opinions, it is very helpful to hear from folks that live around there. I will look into Temecula. What I meant by money isn't an issue, is that while we can afford to live in a big estate type home, I refuse to raise my children in that kind of entitlement and lonliness. I don't want to have to drive all day taking them places to be entertained and educated. It is much healthier for us to spend our time getting to know those around us and helping each other out, etc.
I wish California community planners would have thought through the mechanics of daily life before they put up house after house of the same 'ole and so spread apart from the schools and stores and with such busy roads you cant walk anywhere. I long for a neighborhood in the true sense of the word---different types and ages of people, local support and trust, good people looking out for one another. Is that anywhere you know of?

I'm sure the civic planners considered all things but in reality, its not 1950s (or even the 70s) anymore around here. Almost all families want a detached home if possible and don't want to give up their cars. Also due to the high prices, many are choosing to drive the addtl time to live spaciously and not cramped. There might be occasional exceptions but everywhere I went, in and out of the US, there is surburban sprawl.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:39 PM

27 posts, read 199,731 times
Check out Danville, in the San Francisco bay area. You have Oakland International and SFO airports. Nice homes in nice neighborhoods, but pricey.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
Truckee is the single best place in California to raise children. Small town, only two Elementary schools, one middle school and one high school of about 750 kids who dominate small high school sports in Nevada, which is the state the high school athletics are part of. For girls, fashion is secondary to how good an athlete you are. Same with boys.

Local kids ski for $5.00 at Squaw Valley. Hike, camp, mountain bike all summer, ski all winter.

A dynamic town full of people who made the choice for an active outdoor life for themselves and their children. Lake Tahoe is nearby. Reno has everything you need or want to buy. Reno Tahoe International provides a portal to the world.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM

111 posts, read 275,619 times
I say go north to Marin County. SF bay area,

Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 25,998 times
I live in San Luis Obispo. Beautiful place to live. Airport has small jets that make several flights daily to LA, San Fran and other places (about a 40 minute flight). It is a small college town of about 45K, has the best climate (not too hot, not too cold, and not foggy) in the state. Has a very low crime rate, great schools, clean air, no big city traffic. BUT....an "average" 3/2 house will run about $700K and up. We are raising 3 very young kids here and I have lived here for 42 years and have visited many other places. Go on the internet and check it out.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:14 PM

76 posts, read 400,075 times
Check out Relands it is a very nice town. I am currently in Yucaipa and am loving it but Redlands sounds a bit more your speed.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:45 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,958 times
Ontario airport is international, 1 person was questioning that. Yes traffic in Temecula sucks. There is only 2 or maybe 3 exits to get to a town that has grown so much the past few years. I used to want to move there before everyone decided to, now I stay away. Redlands has good elementary schools, I don't know about Junior high and up. But Redlands is in the smog sess pool of the inland empire. Not my idea of a perfect place breathing in all that stuff. Besides that it is a real nice little town. I would look into Santa Maria (I think that is the town I' thinking of) It is just along the coast south of San Francisco. I drove thru there and loved it.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:47 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
If you can handle one month of killer summer heat then Redding is a great place for a family. Still affordable California housing. Suburban to rural lifestyle with a zillion things for kids to do outside the house. Lots of different educational opportunities (as a general rule California schools are not ranked the best in the nation, too many immigrants, too many gangbangers, too many lil darlings) and your kids wont be going to school with what I listed .

Depending on your spirituality you will find the gambit here... Redding also is large enough to provide you with any ammenties you want. It doesnt have an international airport but its muni airport (Redding municipal) is fabulous and united shuttle/alaska can have you to san fran intl in 45 minutes... Its refreshing to go to an airport today and be able to stand in front of where your plane is departing and not have to fight to get a parking space or walk a mile to the terminal.. at Redding youll be out of your car and standing at the gate in less than a minute

Reddings property values continue to make it one of the best bargains in California, especially if you want open space.... 350k will give you many residential opportunities.. from a new house to a rural house with small acreage
Great medical facilities and hospitals Redding Medical Center/Mercy Medical
Excellent county fair( Shasta County District fair)
Awesome lakes, mountains, and wilderness (Shasta, Claire Engle, Whiskeytown, Trinty Alps Wilderness, Mount Shasta, Mount Lassen Volcanic park)
Many historic towns closeby (Weaverville,Lewiston, Mt Shasta) less than an hour going west north or east will find you into smaller mountain communities (Shingletown, Lakehead, Round Mountain).. going south is gets flatter..dryer.. more horse country
3 hrs to the coast (Eureka, Crescent City).. doable for a nice day trip in the hot summer.. the coast here can be quite cool.. even in the middle of summer
About 1 1/2 -2 hours to Oregon(Ashland, Medford)
Solid service based workforce... not much industry
Huge building boom but huge spaces to work with as well
Decent ammenities and shopping (Redding is approaching 150k)

As kids get older and attend the excellent community college (Shasta Community College) or a faith based univeristy (Simpson) most of them tell me they want to leave Redding because they find it boring... and if a young adult says that... well to me thats a barometer its probably a good place to raise a family. There are many different schools for younger children, public and private

Problems
Poor county by California standards, although coming from L.A. I rarely experience that...because it is a pleasant place to live I dont need streets with fancy planter boxes
Hot in the summer.. sometimes rains alot in the winter... but about 8 mos of the year its pretty nice,,plenty of sunshine..plenty...
Still some cowboy mentality here if you live in the areas south of Redding (and that may or may not appeal to you) such as Red Bluff,Cottonwood
We can have summer forest fires... but if you live somewhere smart they are not a problem

There are some very nice communities... if you are interested please let me know via PM and I will give you further

good luck

Last edited by notmeofficer; 01-13-2007 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California