U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM

799 posts, read 2,690,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
I spend a fair amount of time on the road for work and with gas over $4 a gallon I've been trying to slow down on the freeways to save on gas. I still can't drive 55 but I'm trying to get it down to between 60 and 65. It's amazing to look at the tachometer and see the difference in RPM at various speeds. From 70 to 65 my Honda Accord goes from around 2,300RPM to around 2,100RPM, that's 10% more effecient. I recently had to drive to San Diego from LA for work and I put the cruise on 64 whenever I could, probably saved a few bucks.

So my questions is... Are other people driving slower these days to save on gas? It seems to me that when I'm cruising in the number 2 or 3 lane there are more people driving slow. Maybe I just didn't notice these people when I used to say in the fast lane and go 70+.
I'm driving 55 now on HW 1 in Santa Cruz county. I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that the difference between 55 and 60-65? is significant regarding gas mileage.
Remember in the 70's during the gas crisis when the speed limits were lowered to 55? I do (if i'm remembering correctly .. i was pretty young at the time).
And i don't know if it's my imagination or not but i think i'm noticing other 55 mph drivers lately and even if i'm the only one, i've yet to feel pushed from behind. Other cars just go around me and i'm not feeling aggressive energy directed toward me when they pass.
Of course this is S.C. and it's not as intense here and there are still plenty of older cars (v.w. buses for example) that are often pretty slow so people are used to passing the putt-putt cars.
It's one of only a few things that i can do to deal with these gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 PM

6,555 posts, read 15,657,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
I'm driving 55 now on HW 1 in Santa Cruz county. I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that the difference between 55 and 60-65? is significant regarding gas mileage.
Remember in the 70's during the gas crisis when the speed limits were lowered to 55? I do (if i'm remembering correctly .. i was pretty young at the time).
And i don't know if it's my imagination or not but i think i'm noticing other 55 mph drivers lately and even if i'm the only one, i've yet to feel pushed from behind. Other cars just go around me and i'm not feeling aggressive energy directed toward me when they pass.
Of course this is S.C. and it's not as intense here and there are still plenty of older cars (v.w. buses for example) that are often pretty slow so people are used to passing the putt-putt cars.
It's one of only a few things that i can do to deal with these gas prices.
Like I said earlier I drive an older diesel car.. a '76 Mercedes 300D to be precise. People expect old cars to be a little slower and will simply pass you without drama. Ironic thing is that it actually handles I-280 more easily than my Honda did with twice the power, but perception is everything.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 PM

810 posts, read 2,602,995 times
Actually, yes. I'm a miser on the gas pedal most of the time, and on the freeway I keep the speed as close to 65 as I can. The interesting thing is that I've noticed this in many people. Whereas 80 was a "minimum" speed on the freeways in San Diego, I've noticed things slowing down quite a bit in everyone.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 AM

6 posts, read 77,414 times
Interesting. I usually try not to speed, for safety issues. Gas is about double the price here than it is in the US, so I imagine that when we visit we'll be going "oh, wow, gas is so cheap here!" Well, I hope so, anyway. There's almost a year to go before our big trip, and I really do hope that gas prices remain low in the US.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:44 AM

189 posts, read 574,667 times
haha, i started doing this last week. Not driving 75/80 in the fast lane kills me at times though. My goal is under 70 for now, but if it makes it to $5 I may reevaluate the situation.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM

557 posts, read 1,514,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
YES!
It is really amazing though, to see dozens of huge gas hog cars sill driving like absolute maniacs, going 70 80 or more! They must have some HUGE source of money to continually fuel that hungry monster truck or impala with 20" wheels!
I just shake my head when I see dudes in a big truck or suv driving like a bat out of hell on the freeway. My reaction is "It's your money not mine." The ones who would benefit most out of slowing down are the big profile vehicles, just ask the truckers. We're going camping this weekend in our big Toyota Sequoia and I'll definetly have the cruise control on between 60 and 65.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:08 AM

6,555 posts, read 15,657,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
haha, i started doing this last week. Not driving 75/80 in the fast lane kills me at times though. My goal is under 70 for now, but if it makes it to $5 I may reevaluate the situation.
The $4.00 gas you see now is based on contracts from 6 months ago that were trading around $100. So we're already looking at $6 gas, but it just isn't here yet. Fun!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 4,921,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It is more efficient (purely) because of a lower RPM? Not sure that makes sense.
The fuel consumption is more or less proportional to the RPM of the engine (depends on the engine computer, etc...), so monitoring the RPM allows you to gauge the fuel consumption.

Of course the reason is because you have a lot more drag force at slightly higher speeds (since drag is proportional to the square of the speed). I was in a rented car which was 2000RPM at ~55MPH and 2500RPM at ~65MPG, so to get 10MPH more was about 25% greater fuel consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California