Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,264,763 times

Advertisements

Yep for sure the fires have brought a reality to the fantasy.
The folks that live East of Highway 1 up in the valleys are having a tough time.
Not too bad for me as I live next to the sea and have a big pump just in case but all the problems with access and closed roads has not been fun.
Sorry about the smoke as you have noticed the wind for the most pushes it inland.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM

27 posts, read 95,243 times
Default Beach/Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Oh yes, that is so true. I have already given serious thought about what I would miss if I left CA, and it's obvious that beaches would be far away in my possible relocation to AZ or NM. It occurred to me too that I haven't been to the beach in many years. While I've driven over to look at it or walk around the rocks perhaps several years ago, it has been decades since I drove over with a blanket, towel, ice box and the intention to get some sun and go swimming.

I don't see any reason why I can't come back for a visit if I want to see the beach or lay on the sand or swim in the surf. As infrequently as I've done that in recent years I'm sure one trip every several years would be sufficient.

And besides, beaches are not the only scenery. I'd put the Grand Canyon higher on my list of pretty places to visit, and if I had to choose between GC and the beach and never see the other, Grand Canyon would win hands down!
I am totally in agreement with the Grand Canyon...Think it may have something to do with age/time of life. Beaches were great with I was younger, now I just want to hike around and enjoy some quiet time.
And the canyon just awes me every time I see it. It's AZ for me, hopefully. Selling a house in SoCal nowadays...arggg, can be iffy

Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,442,435 times
It was a matter of having enough $$$ to have a good retirement that made me leave San Luis Obispo and come home to Tennessee when i retired. $$ goes SO much further here.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 AM

10 posts, read 47,360 times
It was kind of depressing after reading these posts. We are planning to move in the fall. My husband got a job offer in the Bay area. The schools that I have looked at seemed excellent but I guess all the schools vary from diff areas in California. Is the bay area better than the south in since of more families.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,039,381 times
I am not sure what you are asking, smarya? If you want to look at schools, greatschools.net is a good resource. Are you asking whether the bay area is more family-friendly than Southern California? Probably depends on the specific area of each. I'm sure there are family-friendly enclaves in both places.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:03 AM

8,193 posts, read 16,608,219 times
smarya76,

Don't be discouraged. You need to take these threads with a 'Big' grain of salt. And you have to realize that this is a 'vent' thread mostly for people who have left or are planning to leave CA. I am in that group But I am also looking at returning as others have as well. CA has a lot of opportunity and good places for families. You just have to pick your areas wisely.

The Bay area has a lot of good schools. What part of the Bay area are you guys looking at right now? The reason I ask is because schools vary a lot in CA as do sub neighborhoods.

Derek

Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,442,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarya76 View Post
It was kind of depressing after reading these posts. We are planning to move in the fall. My husband got a job offer in the Bay area. The schools that I have looked at seemed excellent but I guess all the schools vary from diff areas in California. Is the bay area better than the south in since of more families.
To clarify my previous post--- I would have LOVED to retire in California. The high cost of living precluded being able to live a halfway decent lifestyle on a fixed retirement income. By moving to Tennessee my wife and I can easily afford to travel and we we able to pay cash for our home. But there are MANY things about California that we miss VERY MUCH!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 47,360 times
Right now we are thinking of moving to Benicia, While I am there I have a better chance of seeing surrounding areas and decided wether to stay in Benicia or choose another place close to Vallejo.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 AM

8,193 posts, read 16,608,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBoy404 View Post
Why would you want to reverse it? If people didn't move from California it would soon get overpopulated and its problems would intensify. California is gaining population just as much as it's losing if not more.

People move from California because of:
- natural disaster (earthquake, mudslide, forestfire, etc.)
- illegal immigration
- highest gas price in the nation
- high taxes
- overpopulation
- dependency on car (Los Angeles area)

People move to California because of:
- Great weather
- Beautiful beaches
- Cultural diversity
- Tolerance
- Large cities like LA, San Fran, San Diego, San Jose, etc.
- Job oppertunities

Basically every state has its pros and cons. People who like the pros more than they dislike the cons will move to the state, people who dislike the cons more than they like the pros will move from the state.
Excellent, well balanced summary AtlantaBoy! I agree with this 100%. These were the main reasons we moved to CO and also why we are moving back to N. Cal. - Monterey area if the new potential job offer works out.

If people want to leave CA I say great! Go for it!!! Experience another state/culture etc... I am glad we did. Just realize that there will be new cons which go along with those new pros. There is nothing wrong with that. It is just the way it is. And CA offers certain benefits that many states don't. Thats why the population will continue to grow.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California