Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,281,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Well I wasn't exactly a kid (I was 21) when I last visited. And just because you don't like it there does not necessarily mean I won't either.
It seems like people who left or, who are planning to leave are trying to talk everybody else into leaving (or not moving here). I guess they're trying to reaffirm their decision and often assume what works for them (or doesn't) must apply to everybody else.

For some of us, California is firmly ingrained in our DNA. Seems like this may be the case for you as well. So ... if that's what makes you happy ... don't listen to the naysayers.

Last edited by sheri257; 06-21-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-21-2008, 08:00 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,485,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
don't listen to the naysayers.
The whole purpose of City Data forum is to inform those who are thinking about moving to a destination. City Data forum fills in the cracks of otherwise colorless objective data found on the internet.

Realistic information, even if negative, is valuable to these people. It is in their best interests to read both sides of the discussion.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 PM

303 posts, read 843,957 times
And even with all the downsides I've heard of California, I still want to return anyway. And I know I am not the only one.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:14 PM

177 posts, read 813,586 times
BBC NEWS | Americas | California classrooms feel the pinch

This is a big reason why we left California in March this year ( we had been there 7 years nearly). Not the only reason of course, but certainly a valid one especially as we have 2 special needs kids and therefore we felt that they deserved more from an education system which is being cut so drastically that even basic services are under threat.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,910,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Can you link to a source that corroborates this statement?
If you want to see which states are getting these people leaving CA and other states with negative domestic migration just check out this link. CA lost 287,684 more than it received from July 1, 2005 Through July 1, 2006.

Data Comparisons by Topic > Bar Graph > Net Domestic Migration, July 1, 2005 Through July 1, 2006 - Population Reference Bureau (http://www.prb.org/Datafinder/Topic/Bar.aspx?sort=v&order=d&variable=706 - broken link)

Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,780,567 times
Cost of living is probably the biggest factor in terms of people leaving, and the quality of life per dollar that you have to put into living in CA. It is not at all unusual to find housing [in a halfway decent neighborhood] costing over 1000 $ per square foot. That's a bit much. Also the political climate is stifling and most people want to live in an area where they are free to express themselves with out being accused of anything or ostracized.
Other states have much lower crime and much lower cost of living. Other states have more tolerant and easy going people, probably the result of a much less stressful existence. Also many other states have less crowding, little if any traffic and a much easier pace of life. I think lots of people find that appealing, particularly retirees and the 40-something and up crowd.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,485,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
It is not at all unusual to find housing [in a halfway decent neighborhood] costing over 1000 $ per square foot.
I'd bet less than 1% of homes are of that price density. So, I'd say it would be very unusual.

However, your point is reasonable (I just think your number is a little exaggerated). Halfway decent neighborhoods are costly.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:54 AM

27 posts, read 95,192 times
Default Not the state I remember

Born and raised in SoCal...2nd generation. Too much has changed now, not the state I remember, or want to live in. And I live in a very nice town. I want to be able to walk outside my house and see no one!
Nanny laws...25 tax on plastic (kinda get that one) and also paper bags at the grocery store? Illegals seem to have more rights than I do. Lines, traffic, prices! Yup, nice weather. Looking at NoArizona now. California govt is more interested in taking care of themselves than the constituents of the Golden State. Why bother to vote..it'll just be overturned (and I DO always vote). Make sure you are politically correct...you can't have an opinion, might offend someone.
I love this state and I hate what's happening to it.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM

67 posts, read 209,069 times
I have met Californians who are moving/moved because the state is now full of illegal aliens. In most of CA now, less than half the people driving in traffic are white. The fact is people are moving for whiter states.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:06 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,714,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Cost of living is probably the biggest factor in terms of people leaving, and the quality of life per dollar that you have to put into living in CA. It is not at all unusual to find housing [in a halfway decent neighborhood] costing over 1000 $ per square foot. That's a bit much. Also the political climate is stifling and most people want to live in an area where they are free to express themselves with out being accused of anything or ostracized.
Other states have much lower crime and much lower cost of living. Other states have more tolerant and easy going people, probably the result of a much less stressful existence. Also many other states have less crowding, little if any traffic and a much easier pace of life. I think lots of people find that appealing, particularly retirees and the 40-something and up crowd.

Cost of living wasn't even on my list of reasons to leave. San Diego had been my only home. I knew nothing else to compare it with. I wanted a new adventure. Was unhappy with alot of changes in San Diego and wanted to raise my kids differently than what SD was becoming. I wasn't unhappy there (well except for alot of the changes I didn't like), just really wanted something new and a total 360!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California