U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,676,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Cali View Post
My .02...have been living in San Diego since 1973. I consider SD home, but am contemplating (very seriously) leaving in 4 years when I retire. The main reason is to stretch my retirement $$$, but some of the socio-political reasons brought up by others in this forum, hit home. I lean right politically and find CA drifting (rapidly) away from my comfort zone. I can't think of a place with better weather than SD, but quality of life cannot alone be measured by its "sunshine tax." Since I'd also lived in NY & TX, it looks like TX will be the place for me...more affordable and warm weather (Houston area).

Having lived in the same zip code for 32 years, packing up won't be easy, but a positive outlook on any new venture/adventure usually pays dividends later on. Soooo...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)
Another thread digged up from the deep dark past...

I'm with Tired of Cali although I don't know what a city in Colombia has to do with it.

I feel like moving because Latino culture is taking over LA and I don't want a dominant Latino culture. It's that simple. We're being flooded by illegals, the government does nothing, so I want to relocate to an area where that isn't happening.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 PM

3,651 posts, read 6,676,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I feel like moving because Latino culture is taking over LA and I don't want a dominant Latino culture. It's that simple. We're being flooded by illegals, the government does nothing, so I want to relocate to an area where that isn't happening.
How about somewhere else in CA north of LA? Illegals exists now in almost every US state to some degree but of course more so nearer the border or farm lands.

We got out of LA and moved to CO. And yes there are a lot less illegals in CS and Denver than in LA & SD. But we are looking at returning to the west coast beacause I really miss the ocean. First we were set on the PNW which is really a beautiful area. But my wife wants to be closer to family in CA. So we are looking at the Monterey or San Jose area now.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
How about somewhere else in CA north of LA? Illegals exists now in almost every US state to some degree but of course more so nearer the border or farm lands.
Even without the illegal immigration we have serious problems in California and I blame many of them on our state government. There's too much over-regulation and many government programs seriously increase the cost of living. Another part of my desire to relocate is to go somewhere with a lower cost of living.

Many of my friends and family have gone to other states so there isn't that much keeping me in Los Angeles. I have less tying me down here than most other people, and having lived here my whole life I think it would be an interesting adventure to pick up and move elsewhere.

Each to their own.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Yes, then I think a new adventure would be great and a breath of fresh air for you.

I really don't think there is any 'One' best answer for everyone. For some it is better to leave CA. I know I am glad we did and had the chance to experience a beautiful part of the country here in CO. And it offers many of the things that CA just can't like lower cost of living for most of the state, majority of people are 'English' speaking, etc...

But no place is perfect... Rather each is a trade of off pros/cons. So you need to ask yourself three important questions:
1. What am I really looking for?
2. What am I willing to give up?
3. What new negatives am I willing to live with (eg - hillbillys, distance from the coast, really hot/cold/humid climates, etc...)?

If CA doesn't do it for any more then by all means go explore!

My 2c,

- Derek

Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 PM

27 posts, read 64,650 times
For all the folks that miss the beach...when was the last time you went to the beach?
I am considering moving to AZ, but from a family of surfers...had doubts. but truly, haven't been to the beach in 3 years!! so, think memories will suffice.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:35 PM

11,728 posts, read 23,558,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingSoCal View Post
For all the folks that miss the beach...when was the last time you went to the beach?
I am considering moving to AZ, but from a family of surfers...had doubts. but truly, haven't been to the beach in 3 years!! so, think memories will suffice.
I've lived within 5 miles of the beach my entire life and have never been a beach person so I think I'll be alright no matter where I go.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Living in CO now I *really* miss the coast. I am also from a family of surfers and grew up on the beach. So I saw the coast for the first time in 2 1/2 years this May. We took a two week vacation to the PNW and it was awesome! That was confirmation for me that I cannot live land locked for ever. Here is a couple of shots from the trip:

Don't get me wrong CO is an awesome state and the Rocky Mtns are beautiful! But living in the middle of the US is like being on an island surrounded by farm land, mtns and deserts on every side. I hate not being able to get in my car and DRIVE to the coast to watch a sunset, smell the ocean air and feel the ocean breeze.

Plus there is the whole cultural side that is totally different which isn't discussed much. There are subtle things that you don't really notice until you move. CA is so diverse with just about every kind of people group, cuisine, culture, religion, etc... it is hard to get used to the more plain vanilla cultures of many other states. People are also much more reserved/to themselves. But the up side is there are fewer illegals.

So in the end no place is perfect. However I know now after living away from the coast that I am ready to return for good. I would have chosen the PNW next. But my wife really wants to be within driving distance from her family. So we are heading for N. Cal. - possibly Monterey.

There are many Californians who moved here who say they never plan to return. But it is funny that after talking with them a while they start to mention the things they really miss about CA. The most common things are probably the coast, the weather, the cuisine/CA fresh fruit, Trader Joes, LOL... and the cultural diversity. A friend of mine just returned to CA after living in CO for 20 years.

Sometimes you have to leave your home to experience different places/cultures to discover what you really want. So that adventure can worth taking. I know it was for our family anyway.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-15-2008 at 11:54 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 AM

2,293 posts, read 3,898,311 times
Quote:
Ha, this is so true! It's funny, I have a friend who left Ca the same time as us. She complains all the time about how much she hates where she lives, and misses the beach. I asked her, exactly how often did you go to the beach, pretty much never. She's just a whiner anyway.

But I'm within a few hours of a beach now, whereas before I was a half hour. I don't miss it. We go to the local lakes to swim and take a small road trip to see the "real" beach when we want to.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, that is so true. I have already given serious thought about what I would miss if I left CA, and it's obvious that beaches would be far away in my possible relocation to AZ or NM. It occurred to me too that I haven't been to the beach in many years. While I've driven over to look at it or walk around the rocks perhaps several years ago, it has been decades since I drove over with a blanket, towel, ice box and the intention to get some sun and go swimming.

When I was a kid my mother took sis and I to the beach often, and as a teenager and young adult I also went frequently. Over the years traffic got worse, parking more difficult to find and more expensive, and my awareness of the risks of getting skin cancer increased. Mostly what I recall now is getting sun burned, getting sand into every pore of my body, annoying people playing music too loud, trash, just negative things.

I don't see any reason why I can't come back for a visit if I want to see the beach or lay on the sand or swim in the surf. As infrequently as I've done that in recent years I'm sure one trip every several years would be sufficient.

And besides, beaches are not the only scenery. I'd put the Grand Canyon higher on my list of pretty places to visit, and if I had to choose between GC and the beach and never see the other, Grand Canyon would win hands down!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,856,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
We're being flooded by illegals, the government does nothing, so I want to relocate to an area where that isn't happening.
Do your research well, Lovehound. From all I can tell, the illegal immigration trend is nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California