Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM

83 posts, read 417,172 times

Advertisements

I have only lived in California my entire life and I can say that I have been thinking about leaving because of the cost of living, unfriendly people, illegals, and crime. And now all of these fires are making me nervous, too.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM

8,193 posts, read 16,608,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
And even with all the downsides I've heard of California, I still want to return anyway. And I know I am not the only one.
CalGal really expressed the thoughts/feelings of a lot of California natives who left like our family. We live in the beautiful state of CO now. But we there are still some things we 'really' miss about our home state. And you know what, sometimes you have to leave your home, travel, experience other states and cultures to really appreciate all that CA has to offer. And I think that is perfectly fine.

For us moving to CO was an incredible adventure leaving our friends and family to head to the Rocky Mtn. state. And we all had a blast. But I also really miss the coast and my wife misses her family. So we are looking at heading back to the West Coast eventually. My first choice is Oregon, but for proximity to family we will most likely head to the Bay area.

For all the ex-California die hards I have met out here while in CO I don't think there is 'one' of them who would say there is nothing they miss about their home state. There is a reason so many flock to CA even if we don't like the changes that occur as a result of that influx. The beaches, the mtns, the people, the cultural diversity, the cuisine, the weather, the employment and educational opportunities, etc... Of course there are downsides and people move out for some of those reasons sometimes eventually to find they miss the other things too much even if that means giving up the big house in Texas, CO, Tennessee, or (fill in the blank)...

Old 07-08-2008, 04:55 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,585,359 times
I left because of the degradation of the culture, not monetary reasons at all.
It is VERY common in my old area where english, math and science proficiency is less than 20%, not exactly a great place to send kids to get educated.

It was not always like that, Too many ESL. The parents would speak perfectly good english and they would teach them spanish because they said "he'll learn english in school" This was coming from a second generation immigrant from Mexico.

Also now when I go back, I realize how rude alot of people in my old town were. I go there now and think "how did I ever like it here?" I didnt know any better really. It is common where I live now to actually meet nice people and converse when I go to a bar, not so much in my old town, more dirty looks. Once I even got asked where "I'm from" ha ha yeah in MY own home town!! I told the guy not all white people are from Indiana! (his words first, not mine)

Downward spiral for sure, for sure.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 07-08-2008 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM

Well,

I can see that a lot of areas/neighborhoods in CA have really gone downhill. And there are other places that have never been great like the ghettos. So I can see why people want to leave their particular areas for greener pastures. And if I had a choice between a town where no one spoke english anymore and the where the school system was in the toilet or Kentucky then I might choose Kentucky.

But not all CA is like that. The thing is CA is such a large state that there is no way to stereotype the whole thing and remain intellectually honest. All you have to do is drive the entire coast or the 395 into Tahoe and you can see totally different climates, towns, people and attitudes from what one is used to in the more densely populated regions in places in LA, SD, SF and Sac.

And if someone leaves and is truly happy in their new enviroment then that is great for them! I wish them nothing but the best. And truthfully the more people that leave CA the better IMO. Because more people from around the country and world will continue to pour in.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,585,359 times
Forgot to note that I lived in a "family friendly" city on the central coast in Santa Barbara county, I wasnt in West Covina or somewhere in the central valley. My advice for anyone moving to Ca. head north,the further the better.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM

LOL,

I am glad you added a little context to that.

And I agree with you about heading North. That is exactly what we will do if we move back, especially after enjoying the wide open spaces of Colorado. I told my wife I have no desire to live south of Monterey. My favorite parts of the state have always been to the North - Big Sur, the High Sierras, and the Coast north of SF to the Oregon border.

We also lived in a pretty upscale beach community of S. Cal. where I grew up. But the negative change eventually gave us enough incentive to explore other family friendly parts of the country. And Colorado is truly great! But I have a love for the coast that I just can't shake. So I was ready for the PNW next. But my wife wants to be closer to family. So we will see. I have a potential job offer in Monterey which is an area I have always liked.

There are many Californians who have migrated here and into many of the other areas of the US as well. One CA friend of mine lived in CO for 20 years and just recently moved back to CA after his kids all graduated HS. He was ready to return. But I realize not everyone will. And if I didn't miss the sea so much I probably wouldn't either.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,241 times
My .02...have been living in San Diego since 1973. I consider SD home, but am contemplating (very seriously) leaving in 4 years when I retire. The main reason is to stretch my retirement $$$, but some of the socio-political reasons brought up by others in this forum, hit home. I lean right politically and find CA drifting (rapidly) away from my comfort zone. I can't think of a place with better weather than SD, but quality of life cannot alone be measured by its "sunshine tax." Since I'd also lived in NY & TX, it looks like TX will be the place for me...more affordable and warm weather (Houston area).

Having lived in the same zip code for 32 years, packing up won't be easy, but a positive outlook on any new venture/adventure usually pays dividends later on. Soooo...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
We left Fresno because of the horrible air quality, and left California because we couldn't afford to live any where else in the state.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:02 PM

46 posts, read 84,160 times
I live in North Texas in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I can tell you that this region has experienced an influx is transplanted Californians over the last 8 years. Mostly for the obvious reason; lower cost of living and affordable homes. Most people that move here tell me they miss the scenic terrain that California offers but are happy they made the move.
I think the glamour of places like Hollywood still attract many people from around the world, but as realty sets (especially when considering raising a family and buying a home), other location outside the state become much more appealing.

I’m a bit bias but I have to say, California is beautiful and great place to visit, but Texas is the place to be.

Last edited by Stardust2900; 07-09-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: font issues

Old 07-09-2008, 05:20 PM

46 posts, read 84,160 times
I live in North Texas in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I can tell you that this region has experienced an influx is transplanted Californians over the last 8 years. Mostly for the obvious reason; lower cost of living and affordable homes. Most people that move here tell me they miss the scenic terrain that California offers but are happy they made the move.

I think the glamour of places like Hollywood still attract many people from around the world, but as realty sets (especially when considering raising a family and buying a home), other location outside the state become much more appealing.

I’m a bit bias but I have to say, California is beautiful and great place to visit, but Texas is the place to be.

Last edited by Stardust2900; 07-09-2008 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: misc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California