U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM

37 posts, read 108,468 times
Cool Santa Barbara: not everyone is rich there so...

In Santa Barbara not everyone can be rich there so my question is: where are all the regular folks there? There has to be people who support the wealthy with labor and services. I've seen that students are there in pretty large numbers, so what about it? What do you know about average to poor folks in Santa Barbara?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 01:43 PM

567 posts, read 1,611,651 times
Alot of the people who live in Santa Barbara have been there for a long long time and their house is paid for. Some also share apartments with 2- 4 in one bedroom. Its not impossible to live there. Another option is to live on a boat.
The thing about Santa Barbara is once you leave you most likely will not be able to return. I left SB and have no desire to come back. I wanted to be a homeowner and now I am one. Being a homeowner would not ever be possible there for me. Here is my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link)

Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Alot of the people who live in Santa Barbara have been there for a long long time and their house is paid for. Some also share apartments with 2- 4 in one bedroom. Its not impossible to live there. Another option is to live on a boat.
The thing about Santa Barbara is once you leave you most likely will not be able to return. I left SB and have no desire to come back. I wanted to be a homeowner and now I am one. Being a homeowner would not ever be possible there for me. Here is my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link)
I have a question: Is living by a lake as good as being next to the ocean? I grew up on a harbor and have always lived next to the ocean.

(I like the adds here as they are very useful)

Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 PM

567 posts, read 1,611,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee View Post
I have a question: Is living by a lake as good as being next to the ocean? I grew up on a harbor and have always lived next to the ocean.

(I like the adds here as they are very useful)
Great question!!
I myself like both and have spent alot of time on the ocean and alot of time on lakes. The lake is good for relaxing and enjoying a quick boat ride and an ocean is good for going for an afternoon boat ride also and good for a thrill seeking adventure when it was rough. They both are different and some like one more then the other. You say you grew up on a harbor does that mean you lived on a boat? I spent my entire time in Santa Barbara living on a boat. I was curious about the East coast boat life. To answer you the lake is just as good as the ocean. I like the heat and living on the ocean did not offer that for me. Winters are about the same in Lake Havasu as they are in Santa Barbara just less rain. Summers are super hot day and night.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Great question!!
I myself like both and have spent alot of time on the ocean and alot of time on lakes. The lake is good for relaxing and enjoying a quick boat ride and an ocean is good for going for an afternoon boat ride also and good for a thrill seeking adventure when it was rough. They both are different and some like one more then the other. You say you grew up on a harbor does that mean you lived on a boat? I spent my entire time in Santa Barbara living on a boat. I was curious about the East coast boat life. To answer you the lake is just as good as the ocean. I like the heat and living on the ocean did not offer that for me. Winters are about the same in Lake Havasu as they are in Santa Barbara just less rain. Summers are super hot day and night.
I didn't live on a boat but the boats were docked across the street from my house. We grew up playing on the docks/piers. We swam in the harbor.

Heat? I'd hate to swap the cold for brutal heat.

Boat life here is NOT for the light of heart or mind. The weather can be very cold, it is expensive and anywhere cheap would be in a neighborhood where you'd have to be comfortable being looked at as an outsider. But I've known people who have loved it. Me? The water rats here have always kept me from living on the water itself. Bad enough when they'd come over to our basements. (We have underground rooms in the north east that are called basements/cellars)

Old 07-04-2008, 02:30 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,030,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee View Post
In Santa Barbara not everyone can be rich there so my question is: where are all the regular folks there? There has to be people who support the wealthy with labor and services. I've seen that students are there in pretty large numbers, so what about it? What do you know about average to poor folks in Santa Barbara?
I'm no expert on SB, I live close to 2 hrs. north. I visit SB about once or twice a year. I had a friend who lived there for about 5 years and worked as a house painter. I asked him the same question. He said there's definetly a part of town you don't want to hang around at at night. What part? I don't know. He said the "other side of the tracks".

Old 07-04-2008, 02:42 PM

23,143 posts, read 16,729,401 times
Quote:
Havasu is nice. My dad lives there and I visit him 2-3 times a year. I'd love to live there but for me there isn't any work available. I do A/C for large commerical bldgs, schools, large hospitals etc. It is also a little to hot. I like the heat but 115 degrees is a little rough.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:46 PM

23,143 posts, read 16,729,401 times
Santa Barbara is nice. Lived there for about a year and half some years ago. I liked it, but it is definitely old money there. I knew a guy who bought a condo there for about 165K (10 years ago). He could probably sell that for 500 550 even in todays market.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:48 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,030,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Havasu is nice. My dad lives there and I visit him 2-3 times a year. I'd love to live there but for me there isn't any work available. I do A/C for large commerical bldgs, schools, large hospitals etc. It is also a little to hot. I like the heat but 115 degrees is a little rough.
There's no work in Havasu for an A/C tech? huh?

Old 07-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I'm no expert on SB, I live close to 2 hrs. north. I visit SB about once or twice a year. I had a friend who lived there for about 5 years and worked as a house painter. I asked him the same question. He said there's definetly a part of town you don't want to hang around at at night. What part? I don't know. He said the "other side of the tracks".
sounds like my part of town.

lol

thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California