U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 21,516 times
Default Affordable-Safe-Gay Friendly places i California and Massachusetts

We are a gay couple of 25 years. We are looking to relocate to either California or Massachusetts to take advantage of marriage. We are looking for an affordable and safe area that has a decent gay population and gay friendly. I am in the hospitality business, so would need an area with many hospitality management jobs. We would need a condo or single family home under $200,000. We have our house in Vermont on the market now. Not having much luck selling yet, but looking to do this soon. We may wait to see what happens in California in November , but within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 01:34 PM

37 posts, read 108,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSRJN View Post
We are a gay couple of 25 years. We are looking to relocate to either California or Massachusetts to take advantage of marriage. We are looking for an affordable and safe area that has a decent gay population and gay friendly. I am in the hospitality business, so would need an area with many hospitality management jobs. We would need a condo or single family home under $200,000. We have our house in Vermont on the market now. Not having much luck selling yet, but looking to do this soon. We may wait to see what happens in California in November , but within a year.
To buy in Mass near the Boston area hospitals you'd need more than $200,000

try renting for a while. (lots of Vermonters fleeing to the Boston Area or the Western Part of the state

The Pawtucket/Providence R.I. area has lesser price condo's but then you'd have to commute.

Anywhere nearby major teaching hospitals is bound to have a gay-friendly attitude along with the college population - diversity.

good luck.

I'm leaving the East for Sunny California

Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,030,361 times
From my experience, and I don't live a large city, you can live anywhere in this state. But gay "friendly" under 200k, I don't see that happening. What exactly does gay "friendly" mean anyway? San Francisco or West Hollywood? It's almost like the black guy asking where can he live in CA if he's married to a white girl? huh? anywhere dude!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:19 PM

326 posts, read 1,143,438 times
http://www.gayrussianriver.com/

Old 07-04-2008, 04:59 PM

799 posts, read 2,690,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSRJN View Post
well, santa cruz is gay friendly ... it's an extremely tolerant community.
but the housing market is way inflated and the average cost of a home is around 800K.
certainly, you're aware of north hampton, ma.?
i think it and santa cruz have the largest lesbian population (per capita?) in the country.
least that's what i've heard in the past.
and you'd have better luck finding an affordable home there than here in santa cruz.
i thought that gay people could marry in california (or ma) even if they aren't residents.
some guy was going to travel here from denver to get married but he wasn't relocating.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 PM

4,868 posts, read 5,020,450 times
My partner and I of 29 years have been here in Humboldt county for 16 and a half years and 8 here in McKinleyville, we are 5 miles north of the center of Arcata. Arcata has a gay friendly bar and Eureka has a gay night club that opened about six months ago. My partner and I got married on the 19th of last month at the court house in Eureka and there was zero protesting, there has been only one letter in one of the local papers that was against gay marriage. By state records there are 57 gay male committed couples in Humboldt county and well over 300 committed lesbian couples here. I am an out individual to friends and family and am not flamboyant. Most people that know me, know I am gay and most of them are straight and many are Humboldt native......Now; finding a home in the $200,000 range is possible if you are willing to live in a manufactured home in a manufactured home devision, [ $79,000 to $130,000 ] or a fixer upper. Arcata is expensive and Eureka is not that friendly, but has beautiful homes of many periods of architecture and all the larger shopping areas. Stay away from Fortuna and Ferndale, they are assuredly not gay friendly except for your money. Trinidad is a lot like a petite Carmel by the sea and is gorgeous but very expensive. McKinleyville is a burgeoning town and is a very tolerant and friendly unincorporated town. You can find a new home in McK for just over $300,000 and an older home possibly as low as $275,000 and with that you get a large lot in the 1/4 to 1/3 acre and sometime larger. You might even find a manufactured home on a lot for a little more than $200,000. We bought our 3 bed, 3 bath manufactured home on 1/2 acre for $115,000 in 2000 and have since remodeled the exterior and added a 2 car garage. Oh! we also have an ocean view with the package. You would have to be tolerant of foggy days in the summer with a high of 70 and only the 80's when it clears up and rainy winters. I happen to like it cool and foggy.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:26 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,705,117 times
I have family in Western MA. There is a large gay population there (Northampton) and can't be too expensive.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 21,516 times
Thanks to all who have posted so far. All are helpfull. In my case I want to live where I am married because even after you marry you have no legal rights once you cross the state line (except for New York). Massachusetts has an old law that only allows them to marry residents of Massachusetts. I have checked out North Hampton and is on my list of maybe. It is a wonderfull small town. Surprisingly real estate is expensive for what jobs pay in the area. The other problem is there are few jobs in North Hampton itself. Springfield is close, but lots of crime and not gay friendly.

Does anyone know anything about Palm Springs? I am reading on the internet that there is a huge gay population. PS isn't very big, are there alot of management jobs in the Hospitality industry? What is the cost of living?

Again thanks to all. A decision like this requires as much information as possible.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM

183 posts, read 642,049 times
In Ca.... Sacramento might meet your needs...

Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 PM

12 posts, read 39,158 times
You *must* put Palm Springs on your short list. Very big in the hospitality industry and the gay scene (mixed young and old) is very much thriving.

It's not cheap to live in Palm Springs, but if you work there, I'm sure you'll make enough to be able to live. It has a smalltown feel, and more gays/lesbians live there proportionately than even SF (or so I've read). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California