Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 56,275 times

Advertisements

Thanks I will check it out !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 50,885 times
Default Paradise ca

Someone please tell me about Paradise Ca. I am thinking about moving there.
Thanks.........

Old 01-16-2007, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,695 times
Paradise is a beautiful place to live and raise a family or "start fresh". The small town adds to the wonderment of "hometown living". Come up some time and check it out and "May you find Paradise to be all that it's name implies."

Lori (magaliamommy)

Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 AM

38 posts, read 383,122 times
I attended college at CSU Chico. For several years I worked at a company up the hill in Paradise.

I always felt that Paradise was a nice town. It was definately not as hot as Chico in the summer and would sometimes get snow in the winter. During the winter and early spring, the valley where Chico is located can become socked in with very thick fog which sometimes lasts for days or weeks. Luckily, Paradise is above the fog line and was nice to visit on those foggy days.

As earlier posters have noted, Paradise does not have much in the way of shopping. I am basing this on my last trip there in the early 90's. Most shops are in small strip mall type locations. I don't remember there being anything notable in the way of restaurants either. Just your typical Chinese and Mexican places sprinkled with Pizza and deli joints. However this may have all changed.

I'm not sure what there is to do there for teens. I seem to remember a lot of the Paradise teens coming down the Skyway (the main road between Paradise and Chico) to the mall, movies, etc. in Chico.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Paradise info. please

I was also wondering what the utilites run there since I am sure everyone runs a airconditioner in the summer and the heat in the winter. What about wildlife there ? Deer, squirrels....anything else ? Do most of the people there work in Chico and what is the commute like ?Gosh, I know I will have more questions so bear with me.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 PM

112 posts, read 381,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by series View Post
I was also wondering what the utilities run there since I am sure everyone runs a air conditioner in the summer and the heat in the winter. What about wildlife there ? Deer, squirrels....anything else ? Do most of the people there work in Chico and what is the commute like ?Gosh, I know I will have more questions so bear with me.
Utilities will vary from person to person & house to house. I have a 1850 sq ft house that was built in 1988. We don't use the A/C all that much. But then our home is hidden in the trees and doesn't get much summer sun. I've lived here for 12 years and my electric bill has never hit the $100 mark yet. Frequently it is in the 45-60 dollar a month range. As for heat, I only use propane. I gave up on the wood heat and wood pellets a few years ago. Yeah wood is nice, but I got tired of the ashes, smoke, splitting wood, carrying bags of pellets.....now I just move the thermostat up or down. In 2004 we spent $1229 on propane for the entire year (heat and hot water). So far that has been the our highest year.

If you like wildlife, Paradise/Magalia is full of it. I have a herd of deer that hangs around my place. There are 6-10 here everyday. Grey squirrels...thousands of the little tree rats!!! I have a resident bear that raids the trash can a few times a month. A couple of years ago there was one lone turkey and a lost peacock that strolled through the yard. There are folks a bit farther up the road that have seen a mt lion or two.

Your commute to Chico....maybe 20 minutes depending on where you start from and where your are going.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Many people in Paradise don't have or use A/C in summer. The air is very dry, and even if it gets to 100 F during the day, it can drop to 50s or low 60s at night and you need to sleep with a blanket. This is assuming you are in a home that has some afternoon shade from the massive Pondorosa pines that are all over town, especially common above elevation 2000'.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Paradise info.

Thanks to all of you that responded to my many questions, you have been a big help. I am so glad I found this site because I wanted to talk to someone from Paradise. I will be checking back to see if anyone has anymore to add. It sounds like a beautiful place. I was looking for a place to retire and now I think I have found it.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 PM

77 posts, read 473,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowznthedark View Post
We first came here to Paradise when I was interviewing for a job several years ago. It was cold, rainy, but oh so green. After my interview we drove around. We don't get lost, we take senic detours. Anyway, we fell in love with the area, and knew we wanted to retire here.

It took us 4 1/2 years, but we did it, and have NEVER regretted it. My husband was born and raised in the bay area, and I was born and raised in So Cal. We both hate anything resemebling a big city. Of course we get frustrated with the grannies and grandpas tha drive 15 mph, but, and this is the big but, it is a much nicer slow drive here, then the stop and go moving parking lot of the big cities. Do I recommend it here....you bet cha. We get snow, rain, heat, cool, and trees, greenery, wild animals, peace and quiet. And in comparison, the crime here is not like the big cities.

I love the friendliness of the people. All in all I wish I could have raised my children here...a much nicer, slower pace.

My husband and I live in the Bay Area, have recently retired, and are are considering a move to Paradise. We know that Paradise does not have a city sewer system, so we are concerned about septic tanks and drainage fields.
We are also aware that there are occasional water shortages. Any information concerning these issues would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM

112 posts, read 381,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post
My husband and I live in the Bay Area, have recently retired, and are are considering a move to Paradise. We know that Paradise does not have a city sewer system, so we are concerned about septic tanks and drainage fields.
We are also aware that there are occasional water shortages. Any information concerning these issues would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you are used to flushing "everything" and using your garbage disposal to extremes, running your washing machine & dishwasher constantly, then you may possibly run into a problem with your septic system sooner or later. Schedule your clothes washing for once every few days and that way you'll give your system a chance recoup. Watch what sort of soaps you use.

If you live within the town limits, they have a fairly strict septic inspection & pumping requirements. ( I think it is every 2 years)

If you live in Magalia or Paradise Pines & other parts of the county, there is no inspection requirements ( unless you are installing a new or replacement system). Septic pumping is a big business up here, but if you are careful, once every 5-7 years is a reasonable amount of time between visits from the honey wagon.

As far as the water supply goes. It looks like it will get better. PID is looking at raising the level of Paradise Lake, and when they finally fix the road over the Magalia Reservoir, they will be able to let it fill up again. Del Oro Water Co. is getting ready to install a water line to Lake Oroville to bring water up to the Ridge. I believe that will be inter-tied with the PID water system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California