Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:16 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Basing, does the hotel and gambling industry produce alot of the jobs in the Reno area, or is that not correct?!
The hotel and gambling industry are big, but not that big. I read somewhere, that the Mirage in Las Vegas pays more tax than all the Reno area caisinos combined. They do have a ton of low end jobs, the major industries are warehousing and light manufacturing. For instance, 90% of the high end diving boards are made here.

Fer'instance, none of my students have parents that work in the caisino industry, and over the years, I have had very few whose parents did.

When all else fails, there are the cathouses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 PM

22 posts, read 129,784 times
Default What!!!!!!!

Cathouses! What kind of advise is that to give to someone?

Old 01-22-2007, 03:11 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
There are schools everywhere, what your kids make of their schooling is completely up to you, always. Schools in Reno are like schools everywhere else, there is good and bad.
Well that may be a valid perspective from an adult, but for kids and adolescents, the quality of one's peers...not teachers, not parents...peers... typically has the greatest impact on shaping their academic success. And peers will not be the same the world over. You will get a higher dosage of hip-hopping saggy-pants posers in an inner city setting, and a higher dosage of straight-laced kids in a university town or a part of a city where a lot of professionals live. Nothing is guaranteed, and your kids will probably find their affinity group almost anywhere, but you can stack the deck in your favor by moving to a place that supports your take on "normalcy" in the schools.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Angelhaze, there may be a few things to get used to in Nevada, cathouses among them, you know of course that Cathouses are legal in Nevada. One of our teachers and her husband are good friends with an owner of one, heck of a nice guy, owns a few horses. Besides, that statement was directed toward Dusesean.

Not to promote Cathouses, but many "fallen angels" are pulling in over $100,000 per year

Steve, kids are in school 6 hours a day, Parents have them 18. Also hip hopping saggy pants are everywhere. I live in a small country town, High School has 750 students, my daughters boy friend 18 years old wears his pants nearly to his knees, listens to hip hop and he is extremely religious to the point of going overseas to do missionary work several times already, and is on honor roll, can't ski for beans though.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:30 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,417 times
All this presupposes that you'll be able to find a decent, sustaining job because you like the area. Find a job first, then figure out where you want to live. My sister moved to an area because she thought it seemed nice, but since she hasn't been able to find a reasonable job yet, it doesn't really matter how many parks are in the area.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 30,464 times
Research schools carefully...I think that California is ranked in the 30's or 40's out of 50 states in education...
I LOVE San Diego and would highly recommend living there...small town feel in a big city...easy going people and PERFECT weather most of the time. Rancho Bernardo and Poway are suburbs and I think have good school districts..I couldn't tell you about the rest of SD. Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM

46 posts, read 72,786 times
Default way pricey out here!

Angel, I am originally from New Brunswick N.J. Been out here 31 years and cant wait to get back! Actually we are moving to Upstate N.Y. Anyway, what Im trying to say is the cost of living, the overcrowded school and roads (freeways) the plastic peoople (materialistic) the weather is not all its cracked up to be either, very dry , hardly any rain, seems to be windy very often, I really miss a good thunder storm and especially some cold weather around the holidays or even snow. If you like holidays in the 80-90 plus sometimes and BROWN everywhere then you may like the weather. Also people have become very nasty and short tempered do in part to the cost of living(working to much) and the overcrowding everywhere you go. I live in Orange county 10min from Laguna beach. Homes cost on average for a 3bed for your family a min of 525thsnd. crazt huh! thats what we live in. I think you should really reconsider your choice and take a look at Upstate new york.
Best schools in the country, nice people, lots to do, inexpensive homes and rents, and tons of winter recreation,snowboarding, snowmobiling,snow shoeing Etc....
P.S. My wife is a southern Cali girl all her life and she cant wait to get out either. Very important to us to raise our daughter in a beautiful place, safe place, family values place, were looking in the suburbs of Syracuse, come join us, and if you have any questions please ask. Bill & Juliette

Old 01-24-2007, 07:14 AM

22 posts, read 129,784 times
Arrow Decision Made

Thank you all for your advice. I have made a final decision to not move to the California area, as I have not had any warm-fuzzy replies. I have, however, decided to relocate my family to Greenville North Carolina.

Again, thank you all for your advice in my relocation search.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:18 PM

California and NC both have state income tax.. that is a big bite. NV and a few others don't

Summers in NC are unbearable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California