U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,008,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you think when these people arrive in California they realize it is just like the California portrayed on TV and in the movies?
Yes and No... TV and movies give you glimpse of something but not the whole picture. And like everything else, it's in the mind of the beholder...

Every once in awhile when your in California you'll get that California Moment... some examples would be like when...

...you stare out the great blue yonder during sunset and the breeze hits you just right

... you mountain bike over a hill and look over the surrounding landscape and marvel at its vastness and what "man" has been able to do (or natural landscape depending on where you are)

... you roll out into the desert riding your ATV or dirt bike with adrenaline pumping through your veins

... you drive through the rolling hills/mountains testing the twisties in your car or on a motorcycle

... you go down to Disneyland or any other amusement park and meet "Mickey", "Snoopy", "Bugs", etc. and you see the thrill and joy in your child's face

... you try a "different" or ethnic cuisine in some local restaurant and am glad that you have so many options and varieties

... you meet people from different countries or ethnic backgrounds and share a little Americana with them and see that they are thankful to be out here

... you talk openly about politics, religion, society, economics and find groups that share your views.

... you go to the local Farmer's market, getting fresh produce and am glad that your city supports these events

... or just simply going to the local park, spending time with the family, and enjoying the simple life

Basically California is what you make of it. California can only provide you with the opportunities and avenues to make those special "California Moments", the rest is up to you.

-chuck22b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM

26,362 posts, read 51,866,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
...you stare out the great blue yonder during sunset and the breeze hits you just right

... you mountain bike over a hill and look over the surrounding landscape and marvel at its vastness and what "man" has been able to do (or natural landscape depending on where you are)

... you roll out into the desert riding your ATV or dirt bike with adrenaline pumping through your veins

... you drive through the rolling hills/mountains testing the twisties in your car or on a motorcycle

... you go down to Disneyland or any other amusement park and meet "Mickey", "Snoopy", "Bugs", etc. and you see the thrill and joy in your child's face

... you try a "different" or ethnic cuisine in some local restaurant and am glad that you have so many options and varieties

... you meet people from different countries or ethnic backgrounds and share a little Americana with them and see that they are thankful to be out here

... you talk openly about politics, religion, society, economics and find groups that share your views.

... you go to the local Farmer's market, getting fresh produce and am glad that your city supports these events

... or just simply going to the local park, spending time with the family, and enjoying the simple life
Since I left California, the items on this list above I really do miss big time are:

Old 06-20-2008, 03:50 PM

218 posts, read 282,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Since I left California, the items on this list above I really do miss big time are:

Charles:

one of the things I do not miss about California is that, where I now live, alternative political views are actually listened to.

Now, I lived in the Bay area, where there basically is basically the Silly Party, and then the Very Silly Party, so your experience may differ.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:10 PM

26,362 posts, read 51,866,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Charles:

one of the things I do not miss about California is that, where I now live, alternative political views are actually listened to.

Now, I lived in the Bay area, where there basically is basically the Silly Party, and then the Very Silly Party, so your experience may differ.
Where I live now is relatively politically conservative with a lot of brainwashed religious people running around. They really don't bug me that much but there is less diversity here than in California. Big lack of ethnic restaurants. There's a church on every street corner. All this stuff isn't in the top ten things I value when living somewhere. None of it is that extreme to be a concern.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 AM

56 posts, read 124,660 times
When the culture of one area becomes California-ized.

I think a synonym, in one definition, would be "plasticization," as in "She's so plastic." Not something that a single individual does, but a process of increasing vanity that happens due to excessive infusement of the CA culture through entertainment. People start to dress and act like what they see on TV and think they're better than others.

A less-harsh example would be the proliferation of surfwear/skatewear brands (turned Corporate) such as Billabong and Volcom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California