Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 PM

38 posts, read 95,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Tustin,Anaheim,Yorba Linda, San Juan Capistrano(Very Hispanic but nice)
Dana Cove and San Clemente. All these I`ve been to quite a bit and I like them but at the end of the day you will need to check potential places out for yourself.
There is plenty of info on this site you just have to find it or ask.
Good luck with your venture.

Thanks, thats a good start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megasue View Post
Many reasons for moving:

The weather, if you are saying the weather in Cornwall is better than California, I take it you haven't spent a summer there in the last couple of years. Rain, wind, and more rain, with a hint of sunshine every ten days!!

The US way of life - cleaner, more laid back, less swearing as you walk around the streets, no drunken gangs of teenagers at every street corner looking for a fight, at least this is what we have seen of Florida, hopefully other states are similar.

And the main one, to get away from the rise in crime around here.
3 years ago my son got glased in the face for sitting on a bench waiting for his brother. 3 guys walked past asked what he was looking at, and smashed a glass in his face.
Since then it has got worse. At one time crime was in cities, or through gangs, but now, every day there are more and more people being stabbed or shot literally just walking down the street or going to the shops.
I know crime happens everywhere, but I can honestly say that I feel safer going out in Florida than I do at home, and we live in a 'good' area.

Cornwall as the rest of England, a definite no-no
I hear ya, Sue. This is one of the many reasons why we want to get out of the UK. My best friend's son was jumped by a gang of Muslim youths one night and they tried to slit his throat. He put his chin down to protect himself and the knife went through the bottom of his chin, into the mouth and piercing the tongue. My own son, who doesn't smoke, was threatened by a knife carrying yob when he told the yob that he didn't have any cigarettes to give him. And it goes on and on and on....

I sincerely hope you and your family can escape and have a better life in the USA.

Areas I recommend...Simi Valley, Moorpark, some areas of Granada Hills and Northridge, West Hills and Thousand Oaks.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Welshman? Aren't we all English to you....?
That would be like saying that Cockneys and Geordies are alike and I'm not brave enough to do that

The Welsh are Welsh, the Scots are Scottish and the Northern Irish are Irish. Now if we could just get that fact through those thick heads in Parliment and the House of Lords, LOL!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:58 AM

My friends son (who is Welsh) had an argument with his teacher in Florida when she told the class that Wales was in England. And, he lost the argument, she would not have it!!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
My friends son (who is Welsh) had an argument with his teacher in Florida when she told the class that Wales was in England. And, he lost the argument, she would not have it!!
Typical. Sounds like the teacher needs a geography lesson. I know that some counties have had fluid borders over the last 800 years or so where at times they were in Wales and at others in England, just as with Scotand and the North East/North West counties, but any idiot should know that Wales is NOT in England, and England is NOT Great Britain/the United Kingdom. What part of UNITED does this teacher not understand? LOL!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
Stupid people exist everywhere.
To be fair she is just a product of the state educational system, even some supposedly highly qualified academics I have met had abysmal general knowledge.
If you want some real fun quiz them on the French Revolution!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I hear ya, Sue. This is one of the many reasons why we want to get out of the UK. My best friend's son was jumped by a gang of Muslim youths one night and they tried to slit his throat. He put his chin down to protect himself and the knife went through the bottom of his chin, into the mouth and piercing the tongue. My own son, who doesn't smoke, was threatened by a knife carrying yob when he told the yob that he didn't have any cigarettes to give him. And it goes on and on and on....

I sincerely hope you and your family can escape and have a better life in the USA.

Areas I recommend...Simi Valley, Moorpark, some areas of Granada Hills and Northridge, West Hills and Thousand Oaks.
These a very good areas north of LA, it`s just a different vibe.
I just thought your boys would enjoy the South CA scene.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
Why are so many UK citizens trying to get out? This almost sounds like a crisis. On a side note, I think it's a bit funny that people from the UK want to get over here because it's safer. Hasn't Europe tried to demonize Americans as being gun-loving, violent, shoot 'em up cowboys? Oh, my everyone in America owns a gun. How could the gov't allow that? I thought that was the attitude of Europeans? But, you feel safer in America? interesting. And since I'm on my soap box. It's an absolute shame that people from across America's southern border can waltz right in and are allowed to stay. Totally unfair. It's not like an Englishman is going to try to swim the Atlantic to get here. Mexicans, Central and South Americans don't have to follow the rules while the rest of the world has to? What a bunch of s**t!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I am sue, a highly qualified teacher in England thinking about the possibility of teaching in California.
Does anyone know if this has been done by a UK citizen?
Also, I have had a quick look on various sites but dont really know the areas around Calif.
Could you possibly suggest a few 'good' areas for me to start my search.
There would be my husband and I, and 2x21yr old sons who would have to go to college.
Thanks, Sue
I forgot to ask. What area of teaching? educational level? I'm sure you would love where I live. San Luis Obispo County, CA. Very, very safe. Beautiful area, fantastic weather. We have a highly regarded 2-yr. community college (Cuesta College). And one of the top public universities in the US (Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo). Many of their programs are rated as best in the nation. Very impressive for a public institution. I believe the quality of life here is 2nd to none.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I forgot to ask. What area of teaching? educational level? I'm sure you would love where I live. San Luis Obispo County, CA. Very, very safe. Beautiful area, fantastic weather. We have a highly regarded 2-yr. community college (Cuesta College). And one of the top public universities in the US (Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo). Many of their programs are rated as best in the nation. Very impressive for a public institution. I believe the quality of life here is 2nd to none.

Hi,

I have been teaching in UK for 9 years now. I have taught all classes from Nursery (Pre-k) to Year 6, although my majority, and what I still want to teach is Kindergarten.
I have a Masters and am qualified to be a headteacher (Principal) in England. I have been told my credentials and experience is better than the majority of US teachers (no offense), I have had 6 interviews for jobs altogether in US and have been offered every one, but still find it almost impossible to get in!
I will have a look at your area
Sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California