U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM

182 posts, read 690,588 times

Advertisements

Is the Santa Ynez Valley a good place to raise children? The areas that I am talking about are Solvang/Santa Ynez/Los Olivos. Is there enough for them to do and not get bored or in trouble?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,041,012 times
I'm sure with effort you can find enough to keep them busy. It'a nice area. No doubt it's safe enough. Of the three, I like Los Olivos.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 AM

182 posts, read 690,588 times
Thanks.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,007,038 times
I adore the Santa Ynez Valley, but I'm not so sure I'd feel the same about it if I were a kid. I could be wrong since I don't live there, only visit, but I don't see there being a lot of things for kids to do there. Those more knowledgeable, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 AM

182 posts, read 859,961 times
It would depend upon how old they are and what they like to do.
What are the ages of your children and their interest areas???

Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 PM

8 posts, read 19,003 times
The Santa Ynez Valley is a beautiful place but it has lots of problems. First, if not foremost, the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department has a long history of corruption. Influential people in SB County are afraid of them, and for good reason. The sheriff once threatened a County Supervisor in an open supervisor's meeting. They seem to do whatever they darn well please and always have. Even the very rich aren't immune, although obviously, they fare much better since Santa Barbara is set up like a feudal society. Secondly, the immense recreational opportunities are held in a vise by the US Forest Service, which in Santa Barbara County are among the worst bunch of green pigs in the nation. Nowhere else have I encountered such a crew of total jerks. If you do a lot of camping, you will learn this soon enough, speaking of which, you run into a healthy cadre of scumbags out in the mountains, some of whom work for the Forest Service and/or the Sheriff's Dept as spies, snitches, and troublemakers. Locals soon learn all about this situation while visitors are pampered and remain clueless. The valley has been completely taken over by the wine and cheese set and the pastoral values once so prevalent there are being shunted aside so that the cell phone/yuppie crowd can have someplace to drive to over the weekend. If you want to see fake ****, go to Laguna Beach. How strange to see that crowd out in Los Olivos, which most of them never even heard of until that stupid movie came out a few years ago. Santa Barbara is not "the wine country." It's a beautiful place that has been taken over by the wine industry. Horses and cattle once reigned supreme and all these wine guzzling phonies aren't wanted except by the money-grubbers who are making a pretty penny off their phony "values." LA go home!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
The Santa Ynez Valley is a beautiful place but it has lots of problems. First, if not foremost, the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department has a long history of corruption. Influential people in SB County are afraid of them, and for good reason. The sheriff once threatened a County Supervisor in an open supervisor's meeting. They seem to do whatever they darn well please and always have. Even the very rich aren't immune, although obviously, they fare much better since Santa Barbara is set up like a feudal society. Secondly, the immense recreational opportunities are held in a vise by the US Forest Service, which in Santa Barbara County are among the worst bunch of green pigs in the nation. Nowhere else have I encountered such a crew of total jerks. If you do a lot of camping, you will learn this soon enough, speaking of which, you run into a healthy cadre of scumbags out in the mountains, some of whom work for the Forest Service and/or the Sheriff's Dept as spies, snitches, and troublemakers. Locals soon learn all about this situation while visitors are pampered and remain clueless. The valley has been completely taken over by the wine and cheese set and the pastoral values once so prevalent there are being shunted aside so that the cell phone/yuppie crowd can have someplace to drive to over the weekend. If you want to see fake ****, go to Laguna Beach. How strange to see that crowd out in Los Olivos, which most of them never even heard of until that stupid movie came out a few years ago. Santa Barbara is not "the wine country." It's a beautiful place that has been taken over by the wine industry. Horses and cattle once reigned supreme and all these wine guzzling phonies aren't wanted except by the money-grubbers who are making a pretty penny off their phony "values." LA go home!!!
Wow, that's quite a mouthful. I don't know the politics of Santa Barbara county so will not comment on the county sheriffs department or the state parks personnel. Santa Ynez valley is surrounded by beautiful mountains in the Los Padres national forest so there are places to camp out. The valley is as you write, mainly vineyards and produces some fine California wines in spite of your comment to the contrary. The town of Santa Inez has a nice old mission and Solvang is an interesting community started by Sweds many decades ago.

The Santa Ynez valley is fairly remote so it probably is a little bit on the boring side. But a drive over the San Marcos pass into Santa Barbara shouldn't take more than an hour for beach and restaurants. Also Los Olivos has steak houses noted for great BBQ.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM

10 posts, read 31,717 times
"Santa Ynez valley is surrounded by beautiful mountains in the Los Padres national forest." It's called Los Padres National Forest, not THE Los Padres national forest. Check your Spanish book. "The valley is as you write, mainly vineyards." Wrong again. The Santa Ynez Valley has long been dominated by cattle and horse ranches, although the wine industry has grown steadily there over the last several decades. "and produces some fine California wines in spite of your comment to the contrary." Just because some excellent wine is produced there is no reason to cut down all the beautiful white oaks for more and more grapes. And as for the yuppies it attracts, who needs 'em. "The town of Santa Inez has a nice old mission and Solvang is an interesting community started by Sweds many decades ago." Mission Santa Inez is in Solvang, dip, and it was started by Danes, not Swedes. The town of Santa Ynez is a different place. "a drive over the San Marcos pass into Santa Barbara shouldn't take more than an hour for beach and restaurants. Also Los Olivos has steak houses noted for great BBQ." It's San Marcos Pass, not THE San Marcos Pass, and it can be a dangerous drive if your tired, unfamiliar with it, the weather's bad, or if there are trains of yuppies in their small cars on their cell phones driving 20 miles over the limit, in a hurry to get back to the Big City while trying to force local traffic off the road. Los Olivos used to be a quiet little village, that is, before the wine and cheese set got to ruining the place. Valley society is VERY provincial and the area is geographically isolated from the coast. You don't just hop over the mountains in a jif unless you're a moron.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaNelly View Post
"Santa Ynez valley is surrounded by beautiful mountains in the Los Padres national forest." It's called Los Padres National Forest, not THE Los Padres national forest. Check your Spanish book. "The valley is as you write, mainly vineyards." Wrong again. The Santa Ynez Valley has long been dominated by cattle and horse ranches, although the wine industry has grown steadily there over the last several decades. "and produces some fine California wines in spite of your comment to the contrary." Just because some excellent wine is produced there is no reason to cut down all the beautiful white oaks for more and more grapes. And as for the yuppies it attracts, who needs 'em. "The town of Santa Inez has a nice old mission and Solvang is an interesting community started by Sweds many decades ago." Mission Santa Inez is in Solvang, dip, and it was started by Danes, not Swedes. The town of Santa Ynez is a different place. "a drive over the San Marcos pass into Santa Barbara shouldn't take more than an hour for beach and restaurants. Also Los Olivos has steak houses noted for great BBQ." It's San Marcos Pass, not THE San Marcos Pass, and it can be a dangerous drive if your tired, unfamiliar with it, the weather's bad, or if there are trains of yuppies in their small cars on their cell phones driving 20 miles over the limit, in a hurry to get back to the Big City while trying to force local traffic off the road. Los Olivos used to be a quiet little village, that is, before the wine and cheese set got to ruining the place. Valley society is VERY provincial and the area is geographically isolated from the coast. You don't just hop over the mountains in a jif unless you're a moron.
I'm not sure what your point is. Putting the proposition "the" in front of the name, Los Padres forest seems like proper English to me. In Spanish it would be "el" bosque Los Padres. Not sure what you're getting at. Sorry I put Mission Santa Inez in Santa Ynez instead of Solvang as you point out [geez the distance must be 10 miles apart ]. What a grouch!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:45 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,319,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Is the Santa Ynez Valley a good place to raise children? The areas that I am talking about are Solvang/Santa Ynez/Los Olivos. Is there enough for them to do and not get bored or in trouble?
It's very much in the country with not much in the way of employment unless you're involved in agriculture or the wine business. Lompoc is pretty ghetto so I'd avoid that (people jokingly call it "Lompton" like Compton) but the rest of the area is nice. It's a good 45 minutes from the valley to Santa Barbara though so hopefully you're not planning on commuting into the city for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California