Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 12:47 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolson40 View Post
Any reason I should have a different approach? I am interested in just experiencing the forest, but if there is some good that can come out of seeking out the beasts I am open to put in that effort... I am down there every weekend and I just got a compass! Saving for a GPS tracker to be a little safer as well.
In light of totally awesome presenting the worst possible approach, your question seems timely to review. Most likely you are not quite ready to approach from the direction of measuring tallest redwoods. Quite a few people go looking for the tallest like they are most special, but they are not the most special or the largest. Some of the most incredible looking redwoods are the other few hundred tallest redwoods. Its not just that a lot of those look better, but the oasis they stand in looks incredible. When Atkins and I went measuring, it was evident. I was just reviewing a data set I have for the several hundred tallest redwoods. For example:

- Brutus - Bamboozle - Gil Galad - Javalin - Luke's Hideout - Mobius - Wolverine - Pyramid Giant

There are more than 300 others. And where the heck are they? Nobody else really knows, nor do they talk about them. And those are the best redwoods. Steve Sillett may have picked the perfect words once when he said

Quote:
“The battle to save the redwoods has already been fought, and look, we’re left with table scraps,”
Some people think that the tallest are the best of the best and least scrap-like of the scraps. But for those with an eye for nice trees, many of the other 300 tallest (and others) are the best of the best. So how should you approach this? Just go out there and explore. You will encounter a few of these. You may not know the height, but the magnificence will be evident when as you approach. Between the tallest and largest, I think we have about 600 superlative coast redwoods documented.

But any of the tens of thousands of others are still spectacular. There's a lifetime of exploring out there. Right now, if you only gave me one day to photograph and the choices were Hyperion or The Dark Horse found earlier this year, I would take The Dark Horse in a heartbeat. I think it blows-away Hyperion for stage presence.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-12-2016 at 01:29 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 18,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Why don't some of you Redwood Fanatics focus your ire on the scumbag criminalien pot growers screwing up our forests and wildlands.

I'm all for keeping the location of these pristine trees on the down low through online subversion but I sure hope none of you are harassing people just wandering the forests looking for these majestic trees.
Bulldogdad,

It is a battle we fight Every Day, 24/7, 365.
Contact the NPS, SP, FS and Tribal LEO's and they will tell you the same. I can't tell you the amount of trash, equipment, and weed that is removed every day from our wildlands and forests. (and yes I work for a agency and see this daily)

This is one that just recently happened.

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php?...est&Itemid=197

And Thank you for your concern, we need more people with concern for our forests and wildlands to make their voices heard.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyK413 View Post
Bulldogdad,

It is a battle we fight Every Day, 24/7, 365.
Contact the NPS, SP, FS and Tribal LEO's and they will tell you the same. I can't tell you the amount of trash, equipment, and weed that is removed every day from our wildlands and forests. (and yes I work for a agency and see this daily)

This is one that just recently happened.

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php?...est&Itemid=197

And Thank you for your concern, we need more people with concern for our forests and wildlands to make their voices heard.
I've been a hunter conservationist since the early 1980's I've given literally tens of thousands of my own money in the last three decades for habitant reconstruction and renovation projects. I'm well aware of the problem. As well as the idiotic political mismanagement of our natural resources. IMHO.

Carry on with the good work.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:54 PM

225 posts, read 469,501 times
Just popping by to say I was laughing my butt off earlier because there are blank sketches and no information on FR for Helios, Juggernaut, Orion and Millennium, amongst others. That site is a total failure of epic proportions. Not only that but they are practically begging to get sued by publishing info sending regular hikers into dangerous areas where they could suffer a fatality. lol FR can't ever find Orion. haha.

PS Sillett really needs to choose his research assistants more carefully. For fear another will go rogue someday.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I've been a hunter conservationist since the early 1980's I've given literally tens of thousands of my own money in the last three decades for habitant
Your and LaceyK413's reminded me of a forest situation back in 2006, west of Crescent City and south of Grants Pass. Three pot growing farms. The impact in those areas shared several negative things seen around redwoods where excess foot traffic is triggered through irresponsible activity like the FRs mentioned. The pot farms experienced loss of vegetation, soil disturbed, some cutting of vegetation, and an increase of garbage. After watching and documenting some of the redwoods for a few years, some now leaked, the same impacts are occurring, at varying rates.

Those redwood habitats were documented over a period of years and showed some deterioration. On the other hand, anonymous leakers are different, using "cosmetic surgery". The truth of the whole matter is sterilized. For example, they won't go back yearly, then add photos with captions stating:

Quote:
Here's one year's wear and tear showing loss of vegetation ... or ... Here is 2 year's increase of bare earth since we drove more traffic here ... or ... Here are the specific shrubs people cut or are missing entirely
Next ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
Just popping by to say I was laughing my butt off earlier because there are blank sketches and no information on FR .... a total failure of epic proportions.
It's possible that they perceive laughing as little more than a form of weight loss if a butt laughs-off with each episode. I am not convinced its a big deal if they have blanks. Particularly blanks shared by many others.

There are the 600 or so number of documented trees they are cut-off from. Its not a few blanks. Its hundreds of blanks. But the matter goes deeper than a few blanks. And more along the lines of a feeling they have a boot of authority on their neck. People don't usually hide unless they perceive others to be stronger and more capable. Otherwise they would feel like they could come forth and take a stand for themselves. But its imaginary. With redwood habitat taking the brunt of their tantrum.

The redwoods are an antithesis to people unwilling to take a stand.

Quote:
I have read, researched, graphed on maps, talked to individuals, taken thousands of pictures and just wander in PC, RNP, MW, HRW, along the coast, and even some private property. I have found on my own, at least 9 of the champion trees,
LaceyK413 wrote that the other day, and it can almost decipher this entire matter. She showed that leaks which trigger damage are not needed, nor really serve a benefit to the people's forest. She proves they are not hidden. The redwoods are huge and in plain sight.

That means that others (FRs / GOT) triggering damage, for the more part, want to be like others. Between their ears, its not just about seeing the big trees. Its wanting to be something they feel they are not. It's a "I want what you have" mindset about redwoods.

Its basically trying to live a myth. Because nobody can hide trees that big from others. The higher standard of most discoverers, and many past finders, is that they gave to virtually everybody else the same opportunity to go explore what lies in plain view. Previously, equality and co-ownership of redwoods was available, but with a higher standard of stewardship.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-13-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 PM

56 posts, read 88,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
People don't usually hide unless they perceive others to be stronger and more capable. Otherwise they would feel like they could come forth and take a stand for themselves
You're the one who mentioned crazed hippies with pipe bombs. Seems like it would be obvious why a whistle blower wouldn't put their identity out there when it's not about their bloated disgusting ego, it's about letting people know where to find great trees.

Quote:
She proves they are not hidden. The redwoods are huge and in plain sight.
So there's no reason for you to get so salty when someone creates a public database of tree locations. They're right there. Anyone who ever wanted to see Hyperion with their own eyes could identify it in seconds because it's the one in the forest that's a dozen feet taller than the others, right? Why are you so upset again? They're in plain sight. You couldn't hide Hyperion if you tried. According to you, people don't need famousredwoods to tell them where the trees are, so they should get just as much foot traffic to them if no one knew their names as if Fred mailed every hiker in America a list of GPS locations because their locations are so obvious.

Why are you all such frustrated vigilantes again?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, anonymous leakers are different, using "cosmetic surgery". The truth of the whole matter is sterilized. For example, they won't go back yearly, then add photos with captions stating:
I just quoted part of my previous dialogue, because the last reply by T/A reiterates what I mean by "sterilized" rhetoric or argument. The same wavelength as when leakers go the "cosmetic surgery" route and don't show the before & after effects of traffic they trigger. Leakers, and others like T/A avoid the central core of the issue and dance in circles to avoid the soil and plant damage issues. It may be because its the least educated along those lines trying voice an opinion as if it were the most educated. That's an additional problem in itself.

But to get behind the cosmetic surgery facade, here is what Screaming Titan's area used to look like before traffic surges were intentionally triggered.

Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-st_7_700.jpg  

Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 AM

And in just a few years, here is part of the damage to the vegetation and habitat around Screaming Titans. This is typically the last thing leakers (that mindset) want people to consider, and how to avoid it. In most cases they try to steer conversation on to other stuff and other people. But this is the focus of conversation here. Redwood trees, soil, habitat, native plants survival.

This is just a fraction of the wear and tear. This wear extends throughout the grove.

Attached Thumbnails
Hyperion: Tallest Redwood: Heard hide or hair? Scuttlebutt?-st_4_700.jpg  

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-14-2016 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Whoa!! Oh my, that is shocking to look at. Almost painful. Complete destruction of habitat. What I don't get is how imbeciles like totallyawesometroll can look at those comparison photos can claim they are causing no damages. Totallyawesometroll should really take down his FR site before all the other areas all end up like this or worse. When Hyperion topples down into the creek, I would place the blame fully on totallyawesometroll and FR.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:02 AM

Food for thought. Epicenter = Hyperion Alley = Dry Heaves Creek = Little Lost Man Creek?

There has been a lot of buzz and I mean A LOT of buzz lately about Lost Man Creek and the environs over there. We are talking about at least 3 ways to get in there meaning Lost Man Creek trail, LBJ Grove parking area, and da new Berry Glen trail. But which one can get us where we need to go quickly y'all? That ole web sight which closed down the Hyperion Clues one had A LOT of informatoin about Lost Man Creek and then it suddenly vanished into thin air. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California