U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 15,744 times

Advertisements

I'm from Aus. and I'm looking to move to CA at the end of the year and I'm wondering where some of the cheapest areas to live in are, anywhere in California (i'm open minded...) I'm also looking for advice on where I should look for work beginning January 2009.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,184,559 times
As a general rule, the further from the beach the cheaper to live.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 AM

3,697 posts, read 6,977,095 times
What kind of work do you do?

CA is a very large state with just about any geographic region you can imagine - mtns, deserts, open plains, valleys, beaches, etc. The weather & geography does effect most ppls decision and job prospects. So it can be very cheap to live in one horse towns in the middle of nowhere for example. But jobs will be very hard to find.

Most larger economic centers have the best paying jobs along with higher costs of living. So what happens is you get ppl driving nasty 1+ hour commutes into these cities so that can live somewhere cheaper.

Now that said there are exceptions to this general rule - a road less traveled approach. Basically you look for work in the less crouded regions such as Northern CA above SF. Or look near the Sierra Foothills or Central Valley. There are pros/cons to these locations. But if you can find work then you can also check out the rest of the state to see what you really like the most.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM

102 posts, read 410,125 times
Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia are going to be your cheapest metro's in California to live. FYI, think more midwestish environment vs typically displayed CA environment.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:34 PM

1,634 posts, read 4,251,875 times
I believe the cheapest area in CA is the Mojave Desert. Unless I'm wrong, the desert areas are the absolute cheapest.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,289,969 times
Yeah, I would guess Imperial County.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 PM

567 posts, read 1,682,624 times
Barstow or Needles. Not to much work there but cheap

Old 08-05-2008, 04:29 PM

3,477 posts, read 9,052,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Barstow or Needles. Not to much work there but cheap
Ludlow on I-40 (former Route 66) is my favorite and probably cheaper than Barstow and Needles. They even have a Dairy Queen there .

Ludlow in the Mojave Desert

Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM

3,142 posts, read 5,732,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I believe the cheapest area in CA is the Mojave Desert. Unless I'm wrong, the desert areas are the absolute cheapest.
Think you are correct. The ammenities are crap and public transportation is spotty at best, but it is truly green living at it's ultimate. Pick a bush and crawl under. Pack out what you pack in.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM

259 posts, read 538,028 times
Cheap doesn't always mean good. Think ghetto and think you'll get yo azz shot!

If you are open minded then try any of the hundreds of immigrant communities in central california. you might want to learn spanish though or you might have trouble communicating with the locals. :P

No really though...check any of hundreds of farming or rural communities in central or south eastern california. I prefer the cheapness of northern california, up near Redding...but it might not be as "cheap" as you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California