Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 AM

29 posts, read 85,115 times

Advertisements

See Windsor Ontario has a population of 209,000 people. This may not seem big but is a big city to me.

I grew up in a town with a population of 30,000 people.

I have done some research on many sites. I really don't care to live in a big city but when I looked at some of the ones suggested they seemed really different than a small town here. Its kinda of confusing.
It could be just cause of the mountains and desert like look I don't know.

the problem with researching on the net is that I have no knowledge of any areas in california at all, so it makes it difficult to judge where is safe, good schools ect.. I am from Canada so USA believe it or not, is scary to me.
I know that may not make sense to some or may seem silly to some but... I am freaked out moving to America.
Opinions from people are just more effective.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comment. I really didn't mean it the way it was taken.

I appreciate all the advice given more than you know.

Last edited by Shaft; 08-11-2008 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
You need to develop a little patience, gal. Chill a few days. This site gets a lot of reads over time, but folks do live a little, too. If your husband needs to make a decision RIGHT NOW it's just gonna be a coin toss.

Arvin is an interesting small town. I've been there lot's of times and know folks who've lived there. They generally liked it.

Bakersfield has a bunch of scattered subdivisions that you'd need to check out to find a couple that might suit you. There are other communities scattered around, but Bakersfield is the big patootie in that neck of the woods and most things there revolve around it. Go to realtor.com and look for stuff within a 25 mile radius and you would find quite a few interesting locations.

But this area is not built up, so that means more scattered homes, more farms and ranches, more oil fields, more brushland, etc. Ergo, fewer folks there who post on this forum. So your information here will mostly be coming from folks like me who live elsewhere but have had some exposure to that area.

The advice about Tehachapi was well-meaning but the commute up and down 58 could get troublesome during parts of the year. So check it out.

Unless you change your attitude I expect you'll receive not many more responses.
Sorry, I don't mean to come across with a attitude at all. I am just scared and nervous. I don't really want to move but have too. Its not attitude really, its fear and anxiousness. USA to me seems so different than Canada.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california5 View Post
It really depends on what you like. I personally do not like Bakersfield. It's too big and too hot for my liking. But then, I prefer small town life. That's why I live in Tehachapi. Others don't like small towns and would be perfectly happy in Bakersfield.
I've never lived in Bakersfield, so I don't know a lot about it. I do know that I've gotten lost in some pretty bad areas. All big towns are going to have their problems though. I'm sure there are places in Bakersfield that are nice too.
Are your children going to attend public or private school? If they are going to public school you want to make sure you live in a good district.....Bakersfield schools – California (CA) school district, public and private school reports
This website might also have some information that would be helpful....Bakersfield Neighborhood Profile on Yahoo! Real Estate - Demographics, Cost of Living & more!
Have you visited the area yet? I would try to make a visit before deciding on a location to live. You can listen to everyone's opinions, but ultimately you need to see the area for yourself.
If you like smaller towns and four seasons, I would take a serious look at Tehachapi. It's a small town, great for raising children, clean air. We love it here.
My strongest recommendation is to avoid living in Arvin at all costs....
No I have never been anywhere in the states ecept for Detroit Mi to have dinner. LOL Pretty bad eh.
We did check out Tehachapi a little, and still checking it out. What do you mean by clean air? Someone mentioned SMOG in another post what is that?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 AM

681 posts, read 2,902,700 times
It's apparently not that hi-techie an area. It is family-friendly, however.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Arvin sits in the backwater of a natural air basin [the Central Valley] and does not have the air circulation pattern of Tehachapi, which is in a mountain meadow setting with many more opportunities for breezes and airflow.

Smog is a coined word meaning a combination of smoke and fog. Think of old time London before fireplaces were outlawed. It was first recognized as a health and environmental problem in the US a half century ago in the Los Angeles metropolitan air basin, which is over the hill from Arvin - as it were. I believe most of Arvin's smog comes from Central Valley agricultural and transportation operations, however. But I could be wrong.

That's one reason to locate a little North and East of Arvin, rather than snuggle up in back of it nearer to the foothills, I would think. In that area most weather and climate conditions are LOCAL. Meaning just a mile away things could change. So ask around a bit.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,695,611 times
Canada to Arvin? If you don't mind, I'm curious to know what the job is?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Can anyone tell me where in Tehachapi, CA is the best area to live?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
Can anyone tell me where in Tehachapi, CA is the best area to live?
No comment other than not right next door to the prison.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 AM

What

Where is the prison?

It seems like a nice town

Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM

136 posts, read 546,989 times
The prison is way out on 202, there aren't any houses in that area that I am aware of.
There are lots of nice areas in Tehachapi. Some people really like Bear Valley Springs, a gated community higher up in the mountains. Stallion Springs is very nice, very pretty too.....just a longer drive to get anywhere. It's about 20 minutes out of town, as is Bear Valley. There are several neighborhoods in town that are composed of newly built homes.
[links cut]

Last edited by Administrator; 11-08-2008 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: [links cut]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California