Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 AM

303 posts, read 845,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguamarina4u View Post
So the phrase sticks: You Can Take the Girl Out of California.........but you can't take the California out of the girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
You know that saying?..."You don't know what you got till it's gone". Well that's how I feel about CA.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
There is something about it.. the atmosphere or the weather, I'm not sure but something that just makes that place perfect. I love it. I've been all over San Diego, LA, SF, Tahoe, Death Valley etc. I just love it. I have no idea what it is but when I'm not there I miss it so much. I don't understand what it is. Anybody else have a similar experience? Anyone know what it is? Its not like its the perfect state but It just, I'm not sure. Its like a spell someone put on me.
California Dreamin'...

Old 12-18-2008, 05:03 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,418 times
Well, we just moved to SD a little less than 3 months ago and I am under its spell. I've never loved an area so much or felt so much at home! I really didn't know how easy it would be to adjust to life in SD, but it has been a natural progression.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM

142 posts, read 578,221 times
Default This thread resonates with me, too

Jaipur, I agree.. it is amazing that someone else has the same
feelings as I have had all my life, since I was 17!!! about the
state of California.

I have lived in Europe, in the South, in Alaska, in several other
states in the U.S. visited, traveled ....

and I've got to tell you.... when I hit the Calif. soil, I get out of
the car and kiss the ground.

It does have a spell... I don't even mind the 90 mph drivers
on I-15 in San Diego County..

Now.. in Oregon, the feeling is that I am on another
planet.. and constantly homesick for CA.. I have
two friends who feel the same, but we can't move
due to circumstances.. for instance, she has a
LOT of animals and a husband whose job is not
easy to replace.

If I had 10 years of life to spare, lol

I would give it up to be back where I was
in either San Diego or Santa Barbara.

A wise saying, indeed:
"You don't know what you have until it is gone."

Amen to that.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
I love the scenery in California combined with the major cities. You usually get one or the other. You'll either have great scenery, but small towns or huge cities, but no scenery. San Diego, San Francisco, Tahoe, Yosemite and anywhere along the Pacific Coast Highway are my favorite parts.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:52 PM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
I lived in Southern California for 4 years.

It seemed to love me more than I loved it (hard to explain but...).

I have some fond memories of it, yes, but I'm much more at home back here in HOUSTON. (H-town baby!)

Old 01-02-2009, 08:29 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I love it and miss it too. I hope to move back soon (once our home sells). I'm not originally from California but I feel like a native Californian.

You know that saying?..."You don't know what you got till it's gone". Well that's how I feel about CA.
You can say that again!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,398 times
I'm a native Californian and I've been gone 15 long years. I longed to return but circumstances prevented it. Now I'm happy to say that I'm returning within 2 years (God willing-I don't want to jinx it). I have missed the ocean,the beauty, the history, the culture and the people. The people are warm and friendly. They embrace you upon seeing you and hug you good bye. Its not a perfect place but its home.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 AM

463 posts, read 1,291,911 times
I'm glad to see that a lot of non-calif. born people love CA.
I am California born person that moved out of state a few years ago. What a mistake that was. The grass is definitely not greener on the other side.
What's funny is that everywhere I have lived since leaving CA I find people that like to talk trash about California or Californian's. I just laugh it off usually. They have no idea.
However, I am finally moving back to California in a month! I don't plan on leaving again if it can be helped.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times
I will never take it for granted again. It may be one of the most expensive places to live, but there is good reason for it. I plan to kiss the ground when we get back and hug a Redwood tree for good measure. Both of my daughters are native Californians and we can't wait to take them home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California