Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes coastal and southern California's mediterranean climate so good for you?
Sunshine most of the year 37 53.62%
Dry summers (NO rain & humidity) 16 23.19%
Perfect temperatures 35 50.72%
Low annual precipitation 10 14.49%
Cool nights most of the year 23 33.33%
Big temperature difference between the coast and inland 10 14.49%
I don't like California's mediterranean weather 7 10.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 PM

338 posts, read 613,290 times

Advertisements

Most of the people love California's weather. I always keep hearing people say that California has the best weather, sometimes even the world's.

What makes the weather good for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I live in San Diego, and the weather is great for me because I love as much sunshine as possible. I live in the inland part of the county so I don't get as much of the gloomy days as the cities near the coast get sometimes, which is fine with me because again I love the sun. I'm not the type of guy that likes four seasons, I'd be content with the sunshine 365 days a year if possible. So for me that's why I love California weather, it's the type of weather I truly enjoy!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Sunshine with cool nights.

Green trees and flowers year 'round. Come visit from Jersey in, say, February, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
The weather here is predictably mild. It doesn't get super hot often and it never gets very cold. You rarely have to plan anything around it like you do in other places. You don't even have to vary your clothing much from season to season. People really do wear shorts and flip flops year round. That said, its not enough to make all the other BS worth staying here for.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM

338 posts, read 613,290 times
I love Cali's weather except the little rainfall

Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 PM

213 posts, read 744,575 times
Lets face it, nowhere else in the world is it this perfect. Any where else and it's to hot to humid or something. To bad the weather is starting to change. It's becoming more humid here in CA.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
CA is land of micro-climates....coastal SF/LA is very different from inland SF/LA, which quickly become more desert-like...

I most enjoy climate in SiliconValley nr PaloAlto and LA's Westside (Brentwood/Palisades/Malibu)....most of yr temps 60-85F; low perceived humidity, unlike Eastern US or Mediterranean or Hawaii; almost never shiver/sweat; relatively clean air; almost no insects/mosquitos; rarely rains outside of Winter

Enjoy the early AM and PM marine layer/fog and heavier winds of Malibu and City of SF....the fog has a mystical quality, esp as it flows over the mtns, and in case of SF, flows over GoldenGateBridge and through the city's hills/skyline....

Mtns around SF and LA's Westside make for a unique urban juxtaposition.....fog/mtns/ocean...

Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Inland Empire= HOT and HUMID!! At least all the pollution makes the sunsets look cool.;-) Sometimes you can see for hundreds of feet..LOL..

Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The weather here is predictably mild. It doesn't get super hot often and it never gets very cold. You rarely have to plan anything around it like you do in other places. You don't even have to vary your clothing much from season to season. People really do wear shorts and flip flops year round. That said, its not enough to make all the other BS worth staying here for.
Maybe great weather is something you don't appreciate until you've lived somewhere else. I've lived in snow and super cold climates and I've lived in super hot, super humid climates. While you bascially manage because you have to ...

It's not much fun when the weather makes you uncomfortable 80-90 percent of the time. I don't know about other people but when I'm uncomfortable ... I'm not very happy.

We just moved to the central coast. We're in an area that gets cooled down by fog but, also, gets plenty of sun during the day. I can't tell you how much I've missed this weather. Every day is gorgeous ... and it's August for crying out loud. I can't believe it!

In many other places I've lived, I'd be sweating like a pig right now ... hiding out in my house afraid to go out because of the heat.

Now I'm out every day hiking, eating dinner out on the patio, etc ... it's fantastic!

I realize that people may have different priorities but, IMO, you can't underestimate the importance of great weather. It certainly has improved our quality of life dramatically.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:27 PM

162 posts, read 572,394 times
My mom was a transplant from Minnesota to California in the '50s. I remember she would always say how she'd NEVER go back, and I know that was all weather-related.

So much about California I could do without, but damn it would be tough to leave this weather.

I love to hike, and even if it is hot, you can still do it if you pick shady hikes or go morning or evening. Where it's humid, it's awful even in the shade.

If you are born and raised in California especially Southern and Central, it's hard not to be a weather-wimp, which I definitely am. Maybe some day I can break the addiction and move somewhere else... so many neat places, so much icky weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California