Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 AM

331 posts, read 2,109,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damfinejoe View Post
I am relocating from CA to PA and want take my cat with me in the car. Anyone have experience doing anything like this. Also considering flying her out after me, but I like the car idea better. I am open for suggestions, please help.
one word...sedate!!! I did it and tried to not give him the pill the vet gave me. that lasted 20 min. He got it... it put him mildly out for 8-10 hours. We got to the hotel room. He was awake and put his box and food and water down. He ate used his box and we did it all over the next day.

I also suggest some type of cage and only a bit of water. No food in the car if sedated. Or make sure she has access to a litter box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 27,280 times
I have traveled MANY MANY MILES with my cat and have had no problems. I had a carrier near if I needed it (never did) but I let him "free" in the car and he always ended up sleeping on my lap. I got a plastic container with a lid that fit on the floorboard behind the passenger seat and made that his litter box, put his water & food in another plastic containers with a lids and put those in the passenger floorboard area. When I stopped, BEFORE I OPENED A DOOR, I would open his water and food and opened the litter box. I placed him in the litter box and while he was "busy" I opened my door and exited the car. When I returned, I could see where he was at and either reached in and got him before I got back in or was able to just get in. He was never scared or anxious or tried to get out of the car. I kept his toys available also.

I only traveled with one cat so if there were multiples, I would certainly suggest you keep one in the carrier and the other free (alternate) during the trip.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 AM

331 posts, read 2,109,650 times
after reading some of the posts.. I have to disagree with letting your cat be "free" in the car. if something should happen and we all hope not and never expect it to... you don't want you cat getting out and lost. Many MANY animals are lost or hit by other cars during accidents because they get out. I say keep her crated or like me build a cage in your car. If you stop to use the restroom make sure she has a harness on and leash her to let her stretch her legs. If you start now you should be able to get her used to the harness.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:00 PM

6 posts, read 18,085 times
Put Them In The Trunck! They'll Do Fine.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:52 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by largegymrat View Post
Put Them In The Trunck! They'll Do Fine.
Oh that would not be the way to go for me. I am taking 6 and getting real scared. We are going to rent a motor home to take 9 dogs and 6 cats.

We are going from Calif to Texas. My vet said to try them out around our area first to get them used to it or to see how they are going to act.
I wish you luck on your trip. I would love to know how it goes.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM

31 posts, read 201,827 times
Default transporting cat

I second what everyone said about using a spacious carrier outfitted with comfy familiar bedding. You can buy puppy "pee pads"to put down over the bedding in case kitty has an accident, they are disposable. I would definitely have ID on the cat, either microchipped with updated info of your new address or a safety cat collar (either one that stretches or has a break-away buckle) with contact info. Be extremely careful with taking the cat out of the carrier so it doesn't get loose. Even the calmest cat can freak under the right circumstance and should the cat get loose it will be a very dangerous situation for your little bud. If the cat is leash trained ahead of time that would be ideal since having a harness and leash on whenever it's out off the carrier gives you an extra safety margin. Your vet can prescribe medication for the trip and it might not hurt to have some along in case you need it but some cats react badly to it and will get disoriented etc. which could be even worse. I like "Rescue Remedy", it is a safe holistic product that can go in the kitty water or directly on the cat, takes the edge off in a subtle way. Look for it in a pet store or health food store as it's used for people too. It is important that the cat does eat on a trip this length. Cats can get serious liver trouble, "hepatic lipidosis" if they go without eating for an extended period of time, drinking is important too. Like someone else said, you will likely have the best luck with getting it to eat and drink and use the box when you stop for the night. Some cats will eat human baby food meat when all else fails, only buy the jars of straight meat that have no added ingredients like onion or garlic which are toxic to cats. Unused opened portions of babyfood must be refrigerated or tossed but they are relatively cheap so might not hurt to take one or two along just in case? Also I would take a bottle of water from home which the cat is already used to, as a different tasting water along the road might discourage drinking. Oh,another thing, take a towel to cover the carrier if the cat gets really upset, sometimes they feel safer when they are covered. Also get a copy of your cat's vet records and be sure vacinations are up to date but don't do them right before the trip,a week or two before would be better. I expect the first few hours will be somewhat trying on your nerves as most cats vocalize when upset but hopefully after that things will settle down and you both will have a nice trip. sue-Z

Old 04-21-2007, 04:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Ever wonder what happens to people?

We have a thread where he's leaving CA to move to PA with his cat in the car, and he hasn't posted anything since!

It's like he got in the car with the cat and disappeared!

I hope he had a safe trip!

If he got to Pittsburgh and hated it, I'm sure we would have heard something.

No news is good news, right?!

Old 03-23-2009, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,700 times
hi! well, i don't want to fly my cats either--but i do think that description of getting dead animals at the other end is quite EXTREME! i wouldn't want to fly them because of air pressure possibly hurting their ears, and also their fear levels skyrocketing--not because they would DIE!!! maybe in summer with the plane broken down in the desert or something, dunno...ok, enough of that!
i cannot stress the idea of putting puppy training pads in the bottom of each carrier--they are like a big flat diaper and they fit in there perfectly! i think i even got mine in a grocery store! so each carrier got one of those, then a little dish with a tiny bit of water (bottled is a great idea) a favorite toy or t-shirt of mine (worn for the familiar smell...one of my cats loves a particular scarf so that's going in his carrier for sure!
i have 3--and i have two smaller carriers and one bigger one. one cat is large so she gets the larger carrier. the other two get to switch off for variety. i don't think i could let them free in the car while driving, not even one at a time. too dangerous and i think mine would feel more secure contained.
it is important to find hotels that take cats--then i used a disposable litter box in the hotel bathroom (i put some of their own waste in their gross but i wanted them to get the idea and feel a little familiarity.)
the leash thing DOES NOT work for me! i did a test run before leaving and my cats flattened themselves in panic and wriggled out...not realistic!
anxiety remedies are available on ebay, to add to water--be sure to ask if they contain alcohol. do not give a cat Rescue Remedy with alcohol--no way!
one of my cats loves milk/cream--i would give her a little cream thing from my coffee every morning as we set out on the road! soothing music, books on tape (eckhart tolle's voice is soothing) music they are used to from home--these are all good for the trip. hope this all helps!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
driving my cat from SF to PA, any tips please
That is the most impractical idea I've ever heard. A cat is way too small, has virtually no luggage space and cannot be reasonably equipped with rearview and sideview mirrors.
Take a car and put the cat in a carrier as others have suggested. The plane option is also not a good option for an animal.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM

34 posts, read 94,278 times
Hi All,
I am moving my cats now from Cal to Tennessee in March. I've thought about all options (even traveling w/ them on a flight in the cabin with me), but driving seems like where we'd have the most control over environment.
I've been advised to crate them due to safety issues...like perhaps an accident (car) or so tired and accidentally open the door and one darts out etc. It will be four ten hour days and three nights in hotels.
has anyone ever traveled like this w/ them crated the whole time except in hotel rooms?
Please give me feedback.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California