Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 50,848 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the help.
SMAD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 16,451 times
Hi there, we are planning on relocating to California. Now, we live in New England on the seacoast which is very beautiful with lots of woods and the ocean very nearby. So we would love to move to an area that offers a very green, woodsie view. No flat dessert views for us. But, we still want the mild climate. We are also looking for nice neigbhorhoods with great schools and a not to far commute to a larger city for employment. I'm nurse and my husband is a master mechanic so we can pretty much go anywhere and find a good paying job. We are looking to stay under 400,000 for a mortgage if this helps. Any Ideas? Remember we want a forest feel but to far from the real world.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocksmom View Post
Hi there, we are planning on relocating to California. Now, we live in New England on the seacoast which is very beautiful with lots of woods and the ocean very nearby. So we would love to move to an area that offers a very green, woodsie view. No flat dessert views for us. But, we still want the mild climate. We are also looking for nice neigbhorhoods with great schools and a not to far commute to a larger city for employment. I'm nurse and my husband is a master mechanic so we can pretty much go anywhere and find a good paying job. We are looking to stay under 400,000 for a mortgage if this helps. Any Ideas? Remember we want a forest feel but to far from the real world.
The mortgage of $400K or the house price of $400K? If the former, what would the house price be (mortgage + down payment)?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:07 PM

791 posts, read 1,819,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocksmom View Post
Brocksmom,

The first areas that come to mind for the setting you want, are the Northern coast, or the Southern Coast between Monterey and Morro Bay. However, I'm not sure how much you'll find in your price range. It's absolutely beautiful in these areas, but they're pretty pricey. Plus, in Eureka, the job prospects may be a little iffy, and farther off from a big city than you prefer.

If you're not looking for coastal areas, the Sierras are just beautiful! However, your commute time will be considerable, as there isn't much industry up there. If you don't go up too high, like Sonora, your snow won't be too terribly heavy. But you go to Truckee, Strawberry, Mi-Wuk, and you'll get inundated.

There are also some beautiful wooded areas up by Chico, Mt. Shasta & Redding, but it can get pretty hot up there during the summer. Although being near the College, the jobs might be a little better than other areas. But still, you'd be at least 2 hours from Sacramento. Although the drive is quite pleasant.

In terms of 'Real World', if you mean alot of activities and amenities, that might be a little tough when you get into the mountainous areas. You might have an hour or more drive to get to the big city.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. I didn't live in these areas, so I know nothing about the school systems. Hopefully someone with children will lend a hand.

The good thing and the bad thing about CA, is that because it's got such a diverse terrain & climate, and it's all spread out, that it's best to try to narrow it down to a few areas, and do a search for those areas and see what comes up. If your questions aren't answered or you have more, post again, and we'll do what we can to help.

Hope this helps,
Boof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California