U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM

7,115 posts, read 19,046,719 times

Advertisements

I have been a California resident for practically my whole life but have never made the trip to Yosemite. I am planning on going before the end of the summer, but really have no idea how long I should go for or where I should stay. My budget is pretty open, except for maybe the resort style hotel they have there. What do you think? What are the things to do that should not be missed? I heard I should bring my bike, but would it need gears or would my single speed cruiser do the trick? Any guidance that anyone here could offer would certainly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,159,080 times
You should go in the spring when the waterfalls are running. They're probably dry by now. Yosemite Valley is flat so there should be no problem using a bike.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:48 PM

700 posts, read 1,636,412 times
Summer will be hot and crowded, but do-able. There are places to stay in the park, but many will be booked up in the summer, particularly if you're doing a weekend trip.

Personally, if you need a hotel I like the Wawona, just outside the southern park entrance. I LOVE White Wolf but it's off the beaten path for sure (high country Sierra). The tent cabins in Curry Village are also good. It's really just preference--most of the options are good because all of Yosemite is beautiful. And even if you don't stay at the Ahwahnee, be sure to stop in and check it out or, even better, eat there.

There's lots to do. If you hike, I'd recommend taking the Upper Yosemite Falls trail all the way to the top (strenuous). I also like Mirror Lake, Swinging Bridge, and Gaylor Lake trails.

I'd also recommend visiting the Church, Yosemite Cemetery and the Ansel Adams Gallery. And stop at Glacier Point for great views.

The waterfalls will not be at their best right now, of course, but there's still lots to see.

I love Yosemite. What a jewel.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,124,206 times
I belong to a club for owners of the Honda Ridgeline truck and we are having a meet and greet for the California members at Yosemite this coming September 27th through 29th. I reserved 2 group sites for up to 30 people each site. If you would like to join us, I am sure there is enough room for a few more. It would be like a citydata forum and ridgeline owners club meet all in one.

Martin

Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 PM

681 posts, read 2,597,109 times
If you're stuck on dates because of school schedules that's a problem, because the reservations you need are probably not available. But the second best time [for me] to see Yosemite is the fall. The weather stays warm - ever hear of "Indian Summer"? - during the day up until the first snow, so late Sept and all of Oct are usually quite nice. But be prepared for chilly evenings and nights around a fire ring.

Almost choked when Humboldtrat said Yosemite was "flat", but then realized it was the valley floor being mentioned, not the surrounding towering terrain.

TIP: For an experience you'll never forget plan your trip to arrive in the park during daylight via Hwy 41. That way your first view of the "valley" will be as you dramatically exit the tunnel. Be prepared to pull into the parking lot on the left and take some pix you'll treasure the rest of your life. Its not the same when you go up the canyon via Mariposa, next to the Merced River, and then double back to the Valley View parking lot. But that's the way to depart.

Cheers

Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 AM

3,681 posts, read 13,159,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Almost choked when Humboldtrat said Yosemite was "flat", but then realized it was the valley floor being mentioned, not the surrounding towering terrain.
The valley floor is flat and OK for bike riding. There are however trails that go up out of the valley, such as to Vernal and Nevada falls, and you can't use a bike. Most trails "zig-zag" uphill with many switchbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California