U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
California! So much better than New York! 60 63.16%
New York way better dudes! 21 22.11%
Uh, I don't mind either. 14 14.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 PM

32 posts, read 61,837 times

Advertisements

I have been thru the same thing as you all have. We moved to Nashville a year ago and the negative remarks I've heard about California is astonding. Once you say where you moved from, begins so much negative remarks. We're in the process of trying to move back to California. When I first decided in the 1990's to move to California, I had so many people tell me Californians were rude etc. I didn't see any of that in the years I lived there. I have met more rude people here than anywhere. I'll just be so glad to get back to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:37 PM

9,363 posts, read 15,733,454 times
I like both, but then again I am a New Yorker by birth. It's true that some New Yorkers do have a negative opinion of California, and for the life of me I cannot figure it out. I have been bi-coastal and it's so enjoyable to have the best of both worlds, but the attitude that some have experienced in New York and other areas of the country is very rude.

People I have known have jested about having to go to California as if it were drudgery to put up with the smog, earthquakes, fires, riots, etc., and I don't know where they get perceptions that are so off base. Then again, if they think like that, who needs them spoiling California?

I can say that I have met some of the nicest and most genuine people in California, from LA to OC and San Diego, the stereotypically "superficial" Southern California areas. You can run into the nicest people in the strangest areas in California, I have found, such as meeting some of the bikers who don't penalize you for having a four wheeled fun machine as opposed to two, and are happy to share a tip or two for some awesome drives and shortcuts.

Some New Yorkers tend to be more arrogant, and may have heard or experienced one or two negative things about California, and repeat it with authority. I am not sure if it's a question of insecurity, ignorance or rudeness in some cases, since one may not have truly experienced the real California, which certainly is no excuse for maligning California cities and towns to someone's face (not that they should do it at all). And, I know it's not an exclusively New York mindset that Californians must endure, since many areas tend to stereotype based upon incomplete knowledge.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:46 PM

44 posts, read 112,588 times
Gawd, you guys are so sensitive! New Yorkers are legendary for their rudeness, so why get so offended when they insult California? You know California is better, so why lower yourself to their level by stereotyping and insulting them back? I've met rude people all over the place. I've met nice people all over the place. And what one person considers rude, another may consider nice.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 PM

149 posts, read 374,627 times
I am from New York I have lived here my whole life. California is better in my opinion I love the lifestyle. I would rather live there than in New York because I am bored of how long I have lived here. All my family live in California I love it they love it and I plan to move there in a year or two. I always go there on vacation and know my way around I think its a great place to live.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,540,227 times
Are you comparing the whole STATE of California to the CITY of New York? That's a mighty big compliment to the city of New York. Being compared to an entire state?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:20 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,339,212 times
This I will say:

Back when still stuck 'living' in the Wash DC area (I am a native) 30+ years ago: whenever I saw a car/truck with California's black/yellow or blue/yellow license plates (being rustfree also helped); I tended to relax------------as for any vehicle with New York tags, I stiffened and held 'em in contempt.

In defense of New York today: I have heard it said it is a much better place now and that Calif has deteriorated greatly...............still, I will probably never live east of the Rocky Mountains again.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 AM

855 posts, read 1,432,118 times
Hahahaha. I agree. California is the best state in the States. It has the economy of France. It can literally be it's own little country with the military, universities, Silicon Valley, biotech, healthcare, agriculture, and finance industries. All NY have are the schools, shopping and finance. And governor Arnold to terminate anyone who wants to attack it.

I was shopping for an apt. with this real estate agent. She asked me where I was from, and I said I am from LA. She immediately said the people there are very dumb saying that after getting out of CalTech vicinity, the intelligence goes way down. I have friends from NYC that thinks NYC is the world to them. They don't need to go anywhere else. I lived there for two years, and I am glad to be back in California again.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,596,285 times
Winters are miserable in New York ...

That's reason alone not to go there.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 AM

855 posts, read 1,432,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Are you comparing the whole STATE of California to the CITY of New York? That's a mighty big compliment to the city of New York. Being compared to an entire state?
There's nothing outside of NYC. I think that's the reason why the posters are comparing the city to California.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM

7,151 posts, read 18,371,213 times
Winters in NYC are mild. Upstate gets the bad winters.

NYC'ers generally have a nonsense view of CA that they either heard from an aging relative or made up completely. But get them out here for 1 day and they go nuts for it. There's a reason they all flock to South Florida, and CA is 100 times nicer than South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California