Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
California! So much better than New York! 62 63.27%
New York way better dudes! 22 22.45%
Uh, I don't mind either. 14 14.29%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 PM

213 posts, read 744,885 times

Advertisements

Hey my California neighbors. I just went to New York City for 2 weeks and sadly not impressed. Yes it is a beautiful city but the people don't back it up. They simply don't like California. I was greeted by them and when I told them where I was from they stereotype big time. They think of all California to be be this Hollywood superficial blonde world. And it is so rude. They say "oh you guys have so much smog and oh my god the earthquakes". As if they don't have smog and there going to get an earthquake. New York is On or near a fault line which lets face it will eventually go off. And they are screw@d because of all the big buildings. Sorry for all the negativity but it just really upsets me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Funny thing is I just saw something on the local Channel 6 news tonight about how scientists say there is a greater risk of quakes in NY than previously thought b/c they just discovered some new faults, including one by the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant.
Who cares, screw them and their pathetic inferiority complex. Can't get past CA passed them up a long time ago to become the powerhouse of this nation and now even TX dominates their pissed off little Northeastern attitudes.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i really like both. i'm just a big sissy when it comes to weather so obviously i would choose CA any day of the week. some day i might have an extended stay in NY, but I'm nearly certain I'll always come back to CA.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 PM

63 posts, read 235,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
Hey my California neighbors. I just went to New York City for 2 weeks and sadly not impressed. Yes it is a beautiful city but the people don't back it up. They simply don't like California. I was greeted by them and when I told them where I was from they stereotype big time. They think of all California to be be this Hollywood superficial blonde world. And it is so rude. They say "oh you guys have so much smog and oh my god the earthquakes". As if they don't have smog and there going to get an earthquake. New York is On or near a fault line which lets face it will eventually go off. And they are screw@d because of all the big buildings. Sorry for all the negativity but it just really upsets me.

Hey:

Im from SF/Bay Area, but currently live in NY and I of course prefer SF/Bay to NY. NY is dirty, has Mice and Rats! Garbage all over the place, so in my opinion there is no comparison. Although you get some really good pizza in NY. I think I can do without as long as I dont have to live with mice!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 PM

28 posts, read 130,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
They simply don't like California. I was greeted by them and when I told them where I was from they stereotype big time. They think of all California to be be this Hollywood superficial blonde world.
I know what you mean. I get a similar response here in CA when I tell people I'm from NY state. Silly them, always assuming NY state is nothing more than tall buildings, rats and good pizza. There are uninformed people everywhere I guess.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
eh, i hate humidity in the summer, and they have cold winters so nahhhh

im good off all that

new york is ok but i mean California need i say more

greatest/most diverse/fun state period.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 AM

139 posts, read 360,070 times
Many people on the east coast have never been west of the Mississippi River, so of course they don't have any idea what it's like to actually live here. They just judge things by what they read or hear on tv.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Unhappy New Yorkers aren't very classy

I've had the same identical treatment from total strangers when asked where I am from. And the majority have never been in California [even a bartender insulted me with the most negative statement about Los Angeles yet gladly accepted my tip!]. I was rudely asked by friends of my friend if LA has "an opera" [sadly at the time I didn't know only to find out later that there is a very good opera company in LA]. These were people who I was having dinner with making very snotty remarks about California while purporting to be "sophisticated" New Yorkers. I finally asked if their sophistication included being gracious to a visitor [yeah real classy people in New York City

And the sad thing about these visits to NYC is that I lived there for several years & never put down the city even when attacked about living in LA. Also I have friends who are New Yorkers who are treated with the utmost graciousness while visiting here.

Frankly, I believe that New Yorkers are unhappy with all the attention California gets & think they have the right to be extremely rude like a defense mechanism. I can never understand that type of ego esp since no one in California trash talks New York [and don't often even mention New York but that is not the case in New York. They think Californians are way-out & radical w/ being self-absorbed with how we look & what we drive [totally unfair characterizations.

Anyway, I love New York City & mostly enjoy my visits but always look forward to the return home to LA [and be back among much more tolerant people who never insult a visitor.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 AM

4 posts, read 14,497 times
I never see California... but... may be...

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
It's a matter of personal opinion, so in the end what does it matter?

I'll take California over New York any day, but it doesn't mean New York wouldn't be better for other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California