U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM

40 posts, read 59,915 times
Default Central Valley

I have gotten a lot of help on this site before. So I my husband and I have been planning to move to California for a while, currently we live in Connecticut so we are used to paying high prices for everything. My brother is moving out there and we are tired of the cold weather and would like a warmer climate. We have relatives in Northern and Southern California so we were thinking of the central valley. This way we would be several hours from both sets of relatives. I have found what seem like some good deals for houses in Lemoore. Does anyone know anything about this area, how the schools are and if the people are friendly? For employment I free lance and telecomute so I do not need to live in a certain place for work. My husband makes things such a concrete counter tops and sinks and also is a truck driver and my brother in Newport Beach suggested this area because he said there were oil truck driving jobs, does anyone know about that also? Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 AM

16,938 posts, read 13,919,472 times
Sorry to be so quick to point out the negative, but you should be aware of the horrible air quality in the entire central valley. It is supposedly getting better, but it is still really bad. You don't mention your budget for buying a house, or what kind of climate you are looking for. Lemoore is a military town with a NAS. You should definitely visit before you move.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM

3,476 posts, read 8,919,096 times
Check out north Fresno (north of Shaw Ave) or Clovis - both about halfway between northern/southern California. North Fresno is the newer part of town with many newer homes and shopping. Yosemite Park and other areas of the Sierra Nevada Mtns are nearby. The town is big enough where I think you could find jobs. The many times I have been there, I didn't find the air quality all that bad.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Check out north Fresno (north of Shaw Ave) or Clovis - both about halfway between northern/southern California. North Fresno is the newer part of town with many newer homes and shopping. Yosemite Park and other areas of the Sierra Nevada Mtns are nearby. The town is big enough where I think you could find jobs. The many times I have been there, I didn't find the air quality all that bad.
Just because you don't notice the air quality doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 36,853 times
its not that bad here. i live here and i have lived in LA and the Inland Empire, i always noticed it down south. Dont fear fresno's air, fear the scorching temperatures in the summer!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,678,121 times
But the Valley air is improving.

Heck Denver was horrible air quality in the 1970s and 1980s, I remember the brown cloud. But they started making changes in the late 80s and early 90s, adding things like fireplace restrictions. Today Denver's air is much improved.

The Central Valley just started some of the same steps like fireplace limits a few years ago. We are already seeing some of the improvement and should continue that in the future.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
But the Valley air is improving.

Heck Denver was horrible air quality in the 1970s and 1980s, I remember the brown cloud. But they started making changes in the late 80s and early 90s, adding things like fireplace restrictions. Today Denver's air is much improved.

The Central Valley just started some of the same steps like fireplace limits a few years ago. We are already seeing some of the improvement and should continue that in the future.
Denver still has a visible brown cloud on some days but the AQI is no where near as bad as the central valley. When they call a "red alert" day here meaning voluntarily don't use your fire place, don't mow in the middle of the day, etc, the AQI is the equivalent to a "moderate" in the valley. Moderate is almost as good as it gets in Fresno. What I mean is a bad day here is the same AQI as a good day in the valley.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM

If I did it right, a chart from airnow.gov should be attached comparing Fresno County with Denver County and Douglas County (where I live).
Attached Thumbnails
Central Valley-air-compare.gif  

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM

3,476 posts, read 8,919,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
If I did it right, a chart from airnow.gov should be attached comparing Fresno County with Denver County and Douglas County (where I live).
So Denver didn't have single day of bad air in 2007 . That's hard to believe.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 PM

That was the graph for "unhealthful for general population". You can change that to unhealthful for sensitive groups, etc., and get a different graph, but Fresno still has more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California