U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 14,350 times
Default Places to live in Fresno

Looks like my husband will be transfered to Fresno. Can anyone give me some idea where it will be safe to buy a condo/townhouse? I won't be joining him for awhile and we want to buy a condo that we can later rent out. Are there any decent areas around Fresno State or downtown? He'll be working downtown. If you have any zip codes in mind let me know or areas to completely stay away from also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:03 PM

399 posts, read 873,063 times
Areas to look into in Fresno: 93720, 93711 (both of these are reasonable commutes to downtown via 41 or 99). 93720 isn't far from Fresno State, either.

In Clovis, I'd look at 93611 (the areas off of 168 to make the downtown commute more direct).

Closer to downtown, the 93704 area (Old Fig Garden) is nice, but it's older and I don't know how many condos/townhomes you'll find there. 93727 (Sunnyside) is another possibility but again probably not many condos to choose from--more single family homes.

I'd start my search in 93720 and see if anything strikes you as being appealing.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,669,932 times
I'm not sure where you are coming from but compared to the California coastal cities housing prices are lower. A single family home in Fresno is priced similiar to a Bay Area or Southern California condo.

Be sure to check to see if single family homes are priced within your budget.

Remember to check out what you can rent a condo out for later. Also, there is less demand for condos here than along the coast since single family housing is cheaper so condo prices and rents run lower.

If you are going to go the condo route, ask about ownership turnover in the association and if there is a high percentage of rentals vs owner occupied. Some of the local complexes have low sales prices but a lot of turnover in the renters living there.

The freeway system puts nearly all the local housing with 15 to 20 minutes of downtown. Heck even surface streets take no more than 30 to 40 minutes.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM

16,929 posts, read 13,866,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
Areas to look into in Fresno: 93720, 93711 (both of these are reasonable commutes to downtown via 41 or 99). 93720 isn't far from Fresno State, either.

In Clovis, I'd look at 93611 (the areas off of 168 to make the downtown commute more direct).

Closer to downtown, the 93704 area (Old Fig Garden) is nice, but it's older and I don't know how many condos/townhomes you'll find there. 93727 (Sunnyside) is another possibility but again probably not many condos to choose from--more single family homes.

I'd start my search in 93720 and see if anything strikes you as being appealing.
ditto

Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 14,350 times
We are only going to spend 99-130K, so condo's are probably going to be our best bet. I don't think we'll get a good house in a decent neighborhood for this price.

He'll probably be in Fresno for a year before he transfers out again. We'd like to keep the condo and hopefully be able to rent it out as an investment property. Wouldn't mind FSU students.

Anyone know about Ridgeview condos, Lakeside condos or Villa Borgata? Do you recommend any of them? Seems to be within our price range.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:38 PM

16,929 posts, read 13,866,478 times
For that short of a stay, I probably wouldn't buy. Who knows what prices will do in the next year. Renting sounds like a much safer bet. There are a lot of condos around FSU for rent or for sale. I think I know Villa Borgata. If I remember right, it is near downtown, gated. It seems like a nice condo community in a not so nice part of town.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:04 PM

399 posts, read 873,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcghill View Post
We are only going to spend 99-130K, so condo's are probably going to be our best bet. I don't think we'll get a good house in a decent neighborhood for this price.

He'll probably be in Fresno for a year before he transfers out again. We'd like to keep the condo and hopefully be able to rent it out as an investment property. Wouldn't mind FSU students.

Anyone know about Ridgeview condos, Lakeside condos or Villa Borgata? Do you recommend any of them? Seems to be within our price range.
If I were in your shoes, I'd just rent. Especially since it's only for 1 year.

But since you asked about specific places:
Ridgeview: (on Bullard, right?) Okay. Not a bad choice. Train tracks might be noisy.
Lakeside: Also not a bad choice. Close to lots of amenities on Shaw.
Villa Borgata: Nice facility, but not in the best part of town. Would probably be harder to rent out than your other 2 choices.

FSU students would not be likely to rent the BV location. The other 2 are a distance from FSU and taking Shaw all the way from 99 to FSU is not pleasant, so they might not be terribly interested in those locations, either. Not when there are closer rentals in 93720/93710/Clovis.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:56 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,669,932 times
I would be careful about buying a condo for under $125,000 in the Fresno/Clovis area. Many people have had the same idea about a rental so many of the lower priced complexes like Ranchwood in the Sunnyside area have a high number of renters and a lot of turnover.

Lakeside Condos are near First and Nees, near River Park, Ft. Washington and Woodward Park, nice neighborhood and complex. (Adriatica you are thinking of another complex over by Shaw and Valentine)

Villa Borgata is a converted apt complex across Freeway 41 from the Huntington Blvd neighborhood. It seems to have attracted some younger residents who want to be near downtown and also some Community Medical Center workers. Fresh & Easy is building a neighborhood market just a few blocks north of the condos at Tulare and R Streets.

There is a brand new condo complex, The Montage, on Herndon Avenue in Clovis between Fowler and Armstrong Avenues. That is near the Clovis Community Hospital and only a short drive to downtown Fresno via Freeway 168. But I think they are starting at around $190,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California