U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM

240 posts, read 1,333,374 times

Advertisements

This is the longest that I can remember that California has gone without passing a new state budget. I have some payments that will likely be delayed due to the lack of a state budget and was wondering if the failure of the state legislature to pass a budget is hurting anyone else here and if so, what strategies are you using to stay afloat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 AM

46 posts, read 113,865 times
Have hope, it is in the works!!!
I work for the state and these couple of months have been very stressful not knowing if we will get paid or not. I have been blessed that the state made an exception for our classification. With that being said, in our last meeting it was notified that there is a class action lawsuit filed this month against the state. According to the union, it is illegal to garnish wages even when there is a plan to do retroactive pay. The other thing that is being discussed is that it is not saving the state any money, instead the cost is much greater once the budget is passed and they have to issue back pay.
Keep your fingers crossed ***

Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 AM

46 posts, read 113,865 times
Certain banks have an agreement with the employer to do loans with no interest. Check with your bank to see if you qualify. If you live in Norther Cali, Golden One Credit Union is one of the banks that does.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss cali View Post
According to the union, it is illegal to garnish wages even when there is a plan to do retroactive pay. ***
I don't understand the retroactive pay either... when I worked for a company that had cash flow problems the only option was to lay-off employees.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 AM

566 posts, read 1,737,320 times
"lay off employees"

And that is exactly what should happen now. In spite of record tax revenues the state went broke by spending even more than the vast amount taken in taxes. No business could survive being managed with such stupidity, but then the one party system in CA is stupid beyond belief.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:03 AM

35,140 posts, read 32,128,390 times
Special interests and Unions are killing us on every level of Govt here. As stated above, no business could survive this. Either restructure what you are spending money on or start the layoffs.

They, once again, think they can tax our way out of this.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 14,630 times
Special interests? Unions? Single party? Wow--I wonder what the political affiliation of the folks here are.

I guess we should ignore that even McClintock, the most prominent Republican (not a faux-Republican like Arnold) believes we should switch to a majority-budget instead of 2/3 budget. I like his philosophy--if the majority party (which is far from the single party--maybe you should try going places like Rhode Island if you want to see single party) wants to tax and spend our way out of this problem, let them. Then the public will see the results of their policy, instead of hearing a bunch of partisan bickering.

As is, it becomes a blame game because a 40% of the legislature can hold the other 60% hostage by refusing to compromise. The 60% can blame the 40% by claiming their hands are tied with the super-majority requirement. Sounds to me like this is the fault of California voters for allowing such a system to be created and continue to exist.

Instead of passing ballot initiatives to fix the budget problems and corrupt legislature, we seem intent of passing garbage like animal cruelty bills or gay marrage bills. Wow... I'm sure that'll fix our budget problems.

Why not give the legislators an incentive to pass the budget... Any shortfall in the budget can't be borrowed--it has to be paid directly by the legislators. And every day they are late on the budget, they are penalized 5% of their net worth.

Most of these guys are so wealthy that they don't need the "salary" they get from the government... so let's apply pressure where it matters. When career politicians like Arnold, Perata, Nunez, McClintock, and Cogdill have to pay a $100,000 A DAY penalty, you'd better believe they'll have a budget on time.

We legislate everything else using ballot initiatives, including our budget and day-to-day lives. Why not pass a ballot initiative that does something useful?

Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM

301 posts, read 1,346,371 times
I think it's ridiculous that someone can be elected to office with less than 50 percent of the vote, but they can't pass a budget unless there is 60 percent.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:52 PM

35,140 posts, read 32,128,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellulose View Post
Special interests? Unions? Single party? Wow--I wonder what the political affiliation of the folks here are.

Independent

I am against Unions AND Illegal Immigration so my views are right down the middle. Over the last, what, 8 years we've had a spending problem. It hasn't been a revenue problem. Which Govt agency do you work for?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,455,154 times
When career politicians like Arnold, Perata, Nunez, McClintock, and Cogdill have to pay a $100,000 A DAY penalty, you'd better believe they'll have a budget on time.

i didnt realize arnold was a career politician, unless you're using the last name of someone i dont know.

anyways, 2/3 budget is good because it means that one party cannot control the whole thing. the way the districts are gerrymandered in california there is no way some of these politicians would lose their jobs regardless, like the godda** sanchez sisters here in so cal. products of gerrymandered districts and they're useless beyond belief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or