Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 PM

95 posts, read 228,464 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information about Northern California, (not Sacramento and San Francisco or San Jose)... I know there are threads for Arcata, Ureka, redwood type areas, as well as Crescent City, etc.

At what point and who decides that a subforum would benefit those who come here for information? Is there somewhere else I should ask this question? thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,888,533 times
You pose a very good question and one I wondered about myself. There are people I am sure who are interested in Northern California above San Fran so why don't they have more information about it? Maybe posing this question to a CD Moderator might help. I know that I would like to see more information about the area.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
We've tried in the past but there is not enough interest. SF and SJ forum counts remain low as well. The admins have said they do not like fragmenting the boards into subforums too much. However I think it is funny that the most populous state in the country has fewer subforums than North Carolina

Old 09-16-2008, 07:10 PM

Wow that surprises me Sassberto, I agree with you it does seem funny we do have less sub forums. TYVM for answering the question!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Thank you for the reply... now how many of us (including me) are going to go check out the NC forums to see how many subforums they have?

Sometimes I think that there is less activity from California forums because we may not have the harsh winters that keep others inside and active on forums.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
I'm surprised that Fresno doesn't have its own forum.

or Fresno/Central Valley or something.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 PM

very true, it does seem like Fresno/central calif is very different than any subforum option listed as well as the far north part of Calif (that I'd like to see that represents Arcata, Eureka, McKinleyvillet, etc) not being represented so people know where to post questions for these overlooked locations

Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I suppose if someone added up all the threads, and the posts in them, that focus on northern California, and the total was at least 500 threads and 5000 posts, you could make a case to the Administrator for a sub-forum. But realistically, you would probably reach those numbers first for a San Joaquin Valley (Stockton-Fresno-Modesto-B'field) subforum. The North State is the poor cousin of California, and always will be.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 PM

kettlepot I guess northern California is the poor cousin but being from San Diego County I visited my dad that lived in northern California ( a little town called Igo close to Redding) and found the northern part of the state to be beautiful, and of course my favorite place Lake Tahoe. It is a shame really people don't seem to be as interested in the the northern part of our state but then again it is probably how the people who live there like it.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
We've tried in the past but there is not enough interest. SF and SJ forum counts remain low as well. The admins have said they do not like fragmenting the boards into subforums too much. However I think it is funny that the most populous state in the country has fewer subforums than North Carolina
Please add my request here also, for adding something like a North State (what local public radio calls this area) sub-forum to the list of California forums. The Sacramento sub-forum is now as far north as it goes, and yet that currently leaves out over a third of the state, stretching all the way up to Oregon.

Ideally a North State sub-forum would capture not only all those communities along the so-called "lost coast" north of SF & Napa......Medocino, Ukiah, Fort Bragg, Ferndale, Arcata, Eureka, etc., but it would also speak to the Northern I-5 corridor of Chico, Corning, Red Bluff, Redding, Mount Shasta, Yreka, etc., plus the many mountain communities on either side, Clearlake, Susanville, Paradise, Grass Valley, Tahoe, Weaverville, etc.

Although even Craigslist currently has dedicated sites for many of these areas, just look at the map and it's a huge portion of California that's still curiously overlooked by C-D. Dunno, perhaps it's just a case of "build-it and they will come".... Thanx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California