U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:49 PM

379 posts, read 531,359 times

Advertisements

Because they probably live in a "small and boring" town in Wisconsin or something, then they get the (past) idea from other people and the media that California is nothing but movie stars and blonde women at the beach. So, they end up moving there, but then they find out it's not what they expected and are therefore stuck there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 PM

268 posts, read 798,521 times
The 'Machine' or Hollywood system chewed me up and spit me out... took about five years of struggling in the SF Valley for me to wise up and move back to FLORIDA. I was living in Van Nuys on Hazeltine avenue: eating tuna, painting curbs, over 10 different roomates and acting at the North Hollywood Playouse for free.... and women? Ha! I could barely swing a date... dating a gal with cerbral palsy and my GF died form anorexia. Even people in 'The Business' treated me like I was nothing special.... Well, fast forward 14 years... now I'm retired at 42. The last 10 years I was traveling outside the US... and I just got back to 6 months in Brazil laying out on Posto 10 in Ipanema watching all the Popozudas, drinking a Coco and eating fresh unpasturized Acai everyday. I live like a King in Brazil...

My dreams of being an Actor still exists.... but I'm not sure if I wanna go back to the LA life and continue where I left off.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,940,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vive2003 View Post
Hi everyone--

I moved to California (Costa Mesa to be exact) this summer, essentially to live with my now ex-boyfriend. Anyhow, I am now taking a journalism class for which I need to write a feature story, and the subject I selected is young California transplants. Basically, when I moved out here I was surprised at the number of young people (late teens through mid-twenties) who relocated to this state from all over the country. It intigued me to investigate the reasons as to why California is the go-to state when a young person is moving away from his or her home base...I'm really hoping someone will have some opinions, references, people to talk to, etc. that might help me out with this...
Thank you!!!!!
-Haley
[SIZE=3]It's just like cocaine if you've never had it you want it,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When you've had it you want more.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When you get more you don't know when to stop.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In the end you become angry,fat and blame the whole world for your situation.[/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,059,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Because they probably live in a "small and boring" town in Wisconsin or something, then they get the (past) idea from other people and the media that California is nothing but movie stars and blonde women at the beach. So, they end up moving there, but then they find out it's not what they expected and are therefore stuck there.
Hey I'm from a small and boring WI town (to be fair, it's actually a pretty nice city, and if I could, I'd take it with me to CA, lol). Some of us just hate the flippin' cold. It's hard not to think about a place like CA when you spend 5 months of the year in a cold, wintry funk.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,190,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Hey I'm from a small and boring WI town (to be fair, it's actually a pretty nice city, and if I could, I'd take it with me to CA, lol). Some of us just hate the flippin' cold. It's hard not to think about a place like CA when you spend 5 months of the year in a cold, wintry funk.
Don't forget, though, that the majority of this country is warmer than WI! I know SoCal is perceived as the extreme opposite, but make sure to research the other 28 or so states that could also fit the bill but still offer you better job prospects and a lower cost of living .

Old 01-10-2009, 02:06 PM

55,491 posts, read 74,394,948 times
why do they come? nothing to lose. i am seeing some grammar errors in your post. not the end of the world you are a journalism major. graduate school? feature stories are something that is written for a newpaper or periodical no?. classrooms have a feature story? maybe they are doing a mock newspaper or periodical??. i see you have been on CDF for several years, have not seen your post b4. your profile is a blank just trying to figure where you are coming from.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-10-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 03:34 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,922,290 times
I think it's several variants on the word "opportunity," some of which is and will be realized and some of it is fake and has little chance of being realized.

Up until maybe 9-12 months ago, CA had some of the best job opportunities in the country for professional people coming out of undergrad or graduate school. That's how I got here (and my GF - we were together before the move and still are). I mean the weather and the lifestyle were a plus and part of the reason for CA over some other cities, but the defining reason was opportunity (nothing to do with Hollywood or the entertainment industry). Prior to this recession LA and SF were two cities you could just "move to" if you had a decent college eduction and find a solid paying business type job pretty fast.

There is certainly a segment of people that move out here to "make it big" in screenwriting or other aspects of the Hollywood part of CA. These people, of course, have a pretty limited probability of making it big, but again, it is an opportunity for them that doesn't exist in any other city except for NYC.

Lastly is the segment that reaches a breaking point in their lives and is just not sure what to do. Many people encounter this after they drop out of college, just graduate from college and have limited opportunity where they are from, finish a divorce or are in some other point in their lives where they have few liabilities in their life and want to do something differnet. I think CA lures a lot of people like this for the weather, the lifestyle, the beach and the stardom. Many of these people aren't particularly interested in Hollywood but are nonetheless attracted to the uptopic view that many have about CA. It's a "going to do something crazy and worry about it when I get there" type of attitude. If you are going to do this what better place to move to than CA.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,799,993 times
Better weather and better pay were the reasons my stepdad moved us out to Victorville in '87 from Illinois(I was four then).
But, the misconception that most have is that it's palm trees and sunny beaches once you land at LAX.

The problem is that most everyone seems to fly nowadays and skip over some of the other geographical and temperate features that encompass California.
While all areas near the coast remain fairly mild, we've got mountains and deserts here that you could catch pneumonia in just as easily as Wisconsin.

As for me, I'm the young guy questioning "what's so special about this place anyway?"
When I drove trucks a few years ago, I often drove and delivered/picked up in states abandoned by some of the transplants living here now.
I say to myself, "They left this to go to CA?"

Small, easy towns where life goes slow and not everyone's out to get you.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,843,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
wine, work, women and weather....

you forgot weed.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,809,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
you forgot weed.
You forgot drug test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or