U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 6,201,492 times
Default Is Compton a nice area to stay?

I was thinking of staying in the LA area for a few weeks. I do so want to visit.

Someone reccomended Compton. I never heard of it before, but they did say its reasonably priced.

Also, are California people really like they are on shows like "The Hills" and "Laguna Beach"?

I just wonder. Im from Virginia so I think it might be a little different out there than it is in my neck of the woods.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:35 PM

11,876 posts, read 12,799,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I was thinking of staying in the LA area for a few weeks. I do so want to visit.

Someone reccomended Compton. I never heard of it before, but they did say its reasonably priced.

Also, are California people really like they are on shows like "The Hills" and "Laguna Beach"?

I just wonder. Im from Virginia so I think it might be a little different out there than it is in my neck of the woods.
You have to be kidding. Compton is one of the most screwed up places in the USA. If you're from Virginia, think Southeast DC and the adjacent parts of PG Co. such as Seat Pleasant. Not a place you'd want to be.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 PM

144 posts, read 661,778 times
Compton is perhaps the worst place to live in California. Try Santa Monica.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:53 PM

96 posts, read 533,315 times
Compton is for you ONLY if you can successfully dodge bullets, like gang activity, and don't mind police helicopters lulling you to sleep at night. Yes, it's reasonably priced, but there's a definite reason for it.

Try going onto some apartment rental websites, such as, forrent.com, apartments.com, and, apartmentguide.com. There you can find furnished apartments in your price range in many different locations near the LA area. And you can find crime stats, etc. on this site to help you filter out unsafe cities. Also, you can go to, aptratings.com to find tenant ratings on many complexes you may be considering. Many apartments out here offer some type of deal where you can rent a fully furnished apartment for only a month or so; it's definitely worth looking into.

As for us Californians, there are certainly cities out here where people act like you see on TV, but for the most part, we're just average people living average lives; pretty normal and down to earth. If you want to see some of that lifestyle, visit Hollywood and Beverly Hills while you're down. Have fun and welcome to Southern California!

Old 02-11-2007, 02:24 PM

3,001 posts, read 9,970,350 times
Is this a trick question ?

Old 02-11-2007, 02:37 PM

177 posts, read 518,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post

Make sure you remember who it is, who gave you this advice.
Do not ever listen to them again if you ever have.. haha!
And no... 99.9 percent of people in California are not like the people on "The Hills"
just like all the people in the deep south don't sit on their front porches
chewing tabacco.

Last edited by la quinta family; 02-11-2007 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-11-2007, 02:48 PM

363 posts, read 1,102,093 times
This is obviously a joke topic.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 PM

No, actually I was being serious. I have never been to Los Angeles before and not familiar with the neighborhoods.

Isnt Santa Monica where Jack, Janet and Chrissy lived while they were on Three's Company?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You have to be kidding. Compton is one of the most screwed up places in the USA. If you're from Virginia, think Southeast DC and the adjacent parts of PG Co. such as Seat Pleasant. Not a place you'd want to be.
Well that gives me some idea, although I havent been to D.C. in years.
Im from Richmond, not NOVA.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 47,294 times
Whoever referred you to stay in Compton is a bad, mean person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California