Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times

Advertisements

Twice we had a great time campin' & fishin' at Lake Oroville. C&R some nice bass.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,455 times
I am planing on moving to Oroville.All I have seen are negative responses.Is there any positive reponses about the area. am coming from Northern Cal and I get to sleep and wake up hearing gunshots and sirens.We had two murders in our city on new years day.One murder was a block from our house.I also come from a place where you have to be aware of what colors you wear and drugs are everywhere.So can anyone honestly say Oroville is worse.I would give up anything to live on what some of your responses are.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,589 times
Quote:
Timber jobs vanished with the spotted owl issue.
No, they didn't, they disappeared with the timber. Here is the deal with the spotted owl, it likes old growth forests, so do loggers. If you cut the old growth forests, they are gone, and so are the spotted owls and the loggers. The loggers (years ago) complaining about the spotted owls was pretty funny, and highly illogical.

6% of the original old growth forests in North California, Oregon and Washington are left. If you have an extraction industry that has removed 94% of the extractable material, what do you think the future of your industry is?

Anyway, back to Oroville. It is a blue collar town, it has good neighborhoods, and great surrounding areas. If you can get a few acres up in the hills, I think you will be happy. Paradise is also a good place to look, as is Chico.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,466 times
Oroville has more older folk there really is no work for a young person it is basicly one person waiting for the other to retire so there kid can take the job but the hills are beautiful and the living is a bit slower but there are an extreamly large amount of people with no teeth the police are great there and take care of the crap for the most part. meth users equals thieves. but other then that haha! Oroville living is what you make of it good bad or otherwise.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,466 times
Hi just wanted to let you know that my folks live in Oroville and i have lived there and in Gridley near by and it is just fine if you like piece and quiet I was going to move back there again myself because I live in Sac and your right with compareing the two places I say Oroville wins but everywhere you go your going to have a bit of the same thing. I had someone murder a guy in the house next to mine scary stuff gives me the creaps

Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005badkitty View Post
I had someone murder a guy in the house next to mine
Why would you do such a despicable thing? "Bad kitty," indeed!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Why would you do such a despicable thing? "Bad kitty," indeed!

Laughing out loud over here!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
HI
I have a family with 3 little girls. We are white, and I am concerned with comments posted on here about racism. I do not want my kids around narrow minded people. We are stuggling to find a place we call home that is affordable, has good schools, and well rounded good people. Is this a good place in general to raise my girls? Does anyone have any comments about the school system? If not please suggest some affordable areas in california. We are currently in OC, but my family and I are from northern california so I am open to suggestions. We can only afford about $100k and definately need a nice sized yard. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
I'm a new homeowner in Oroville - moved here not quite three years ago from the coast. I was born in Butte County and have two older sisters who've lived here all their adult lives and raised their kids here. Oroville is a very quiet town. The old town itself is a little poor and majority white (about 75-80%) and from what I've seen is not overtly racist at all. There is a good sized Hmong population that moved here in the last twenty years and all I've heard about them is what hard workers they are. There's also a small black community (about 5%) that has been in Oroville since Lousiana-Pacific recruited them in the 40s, 50s and 60s. There are also some Mexicans and Native Americans. I have actually seen more mixed race couples here (given the size of the town) than any other place I've ever lived and integration in the neighborhoods is pretty high.

There is a much larger population in the surrounding hills and near Lake Oroville. There are some very pretty areas with nice, but affordable homes and ranchettes. There is a good sized senior/retired population as a result, especially at Kelly Ridge next to the lake.

The people are quite friendly - more so than on The Central Coast or San Joaquin Valley where I used to live. People in stores and restaurants will talk your ear off if given the chance and are quite welcoming. One thing that surprised me upon moving back here are that the teenagers are very friendly. I have yet to meet a typical sullen teen with a bad attitude - most of the ones that work in service jobs smile and are pretty chatty and polite. Quite a shock from the almost hateful ones on the coast.

There is some drug use in this area. In the 80s and 90s Meth was rampant, but most tweakers have either reformed, gone to jail or died off. It really doesn't seem to be any bigger of an issue here now that it is anywhere. Crime isn't bad either, at least from what my extended family who lives here says. None of them has ever been the victim of a serious crime and my older sisters have been here for decades. I feel much more relaxed here than I did in Salinas.

All in all its a nice enough place. Definitely not glamorous or exciting, but pleasant and quiet if thats what you're looking for.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM

107 posts, read 248,528 times
Luckymom405,
There is as much narrow-minded people here as anywhere you would go. Oroville is great in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California